• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Float/Board

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
...Perhaps something like a mini sit-on-top (SOT) kayak type shape/contruction - or maybe mini inflatible SOT shape. Perhaps not big enough for an assistant but maybe big enough to properly support a 90cm euro-gun & crab-bag?
Looks like somebody beat me to it:

Spearfishing Float
spearfishing%20float%201.jpg
IMG_0308s.jpg

"Ain't nuthin' new under the sun and the moon."

Since John (ekinoderminator) hasn't posted an update on his newest design, I'll go ahead and bump this thread.

I got my Banks Board ( Banks Board ) near the end of last year, and I've only had it in the water a few times, but all I can say is WOW! Primarily designed for Northern California divers who hunt fish and collect abalone, urchin, and other delectible seafood, this board does everything we need it to do. He's also sold a bunch of units to our friends down in Southern California, as well as internationally to Australia, South Africa, South America, etc.

This thing is literally like a mini kayak for those of us who don't have the budget for a Scupper Pro, or those of us who prefer to rappel down sketchy cliffs into uncharted coves to catch our prey with no boat launch for miles North or South
wink.gif

The side rails will firmly hold 2 guns, and the drawstring bag holds just about everything else you'd need to take into the water and don't mind getting wet (floatline, ab bar, ab gauges, flashlights, etc.). The bag is also roomy enough for a legal limit of abs, and a bunch of dead rockfish.
The Military-Spec backpack straps are a must-have for those long hikes down deer trails to get to the cliffs you want to drop in on, and they really help out on the way back up to the car with a limit of dead marine animals on your back. The incorporated eye bold for the backpack strap also doubles as a handy point to anchor your kelp-clip for when you're diving away from your board.

The best part of this design is the waterproof hatch that allows storage of the things you DON'T want to get wet. So far I've stashed spare abalone gauges & bars, my fishing license bottle with zip-ties, pens, ab tags, etc., a full sized bath towel for drying off before filling out those damn tags, a 1/2 liter bottle of fresh water (for sipping on those long hours in the ocean), and my digital camera, plus room for a bit more $hit if one so desires.....

I've been considering foaming the bottom portion of the board for a bit more flotation, but so far the board floats and trims nicely in the water with what I kill on any given day, and still has ample buoyancy to give me a place to climb onto and take a breather for a few minutes between drops.

Two thumbs up for this thing!!

Attachments

• bd1.jpg
    bd1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,072
  • bd2.jpg
    bd2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 377
  • bd3.jpg
    bd3.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 419
  • H5.jpg
    H5.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 416
Reactions: Doc Bass and Mr. X
Hepp,
i just got to follow up to what thereefgeek says about the banks board.

Got mine 5-6 weeks ago and finally had a chance to dive with it yesterday, and here is what i mailed john:

Finally had my first testdive with it, and what a an upgrade from my
torpedobuoy that was.
I'm very suprised by how easy it follows, i had to check several times
to see it was still there.

The alpine clips is a very good idea. On this trip i was stupid enough
to jump into 2C (35.6F i think) water with gloves and not mittens, and
after some 40min i could no longer keep my fingers warm by movement
alone and they froze stiff. But it was still no problem to operate the
clips and attaching my gun to the "gun rack", i remember i was smiling
while doing that, it was so easy despite my fingers not working
properly.

The carryhandles work good, in fact everything works so well i wasn't
even thinking about it, which from a usability point is a pretty neat
achievement. Just get out of the car, strap everything (quickly) on
the board, dress up and then carry the board without any fuzz down to
the waterline. And then reverse when leaving the water, so easy,
especially when very tired and cold, just strap everything on the
board and go.
And it is so easy to use those straps, i really like the "layers", no
problem just shoving things in there while in the water and those
things stay put.

I'll have to do a longer walk on my next trip to get to the waterline, but that should be just as easy as this last time due to the shoulderstraps.

Big thumbs up from this norwegian :friday

Attachments

• banks float s.jpg
    banks float s.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 550
Reactions: Mr. X
Great feedback guys. Nice pics too. Can you use it as a Boogie-board too?! :)

Thereefgreek, I am intrigued by your small mid-handle wooden speargun - what is that?n Looks like it might be good for UK conditions.

Last edited:
Superb! Funny I was thinking sometime ago that maybe what I need for a float is something like a bigger version of the old Action Man (G.I. Joe) solid plastic dinghy/RIB I had as a child. You've some up with something along those lines but evolved and refined further for spearing. Love it:)

[Are you still making the original planche-box one, with the solid lid, too? Reckon that would be good for sharky waters]

... Lime-green on top (for max. visibility) and white underneath for camo (in the Omer-style). ...
It struck me last season that colouring the bottom of the float white/grey/pale blue to camoflage it against the sky might not be such a great idea. I found myself tentatively starting to target what might be a large fish near the surface, which turned out to my float :D. Also, I do like to keep track of my float when I am on the bottom, for various reasons. Especially if I have fish on my float's stringer, as they tend to draw other curious fish towards the float.

So much for the bass-shaped float idea! :D

Last edited:
Great feedback guys. Nice pics too. Can you use it as a Boogie-board too?! :)

Thereefgreek, I am intrigued by your small mid-handle wooden speargun - what is that?n Looks like it might be good for UK conditions.

Looks like a riffe to me, give me a shout if you want to know more...

Thanks Andy. (Have you used a mid-handled speargun?) BTW I just noticed it has no rubbers in the original picture :D - I guess it keeps things looking neat.

Reactions: Pav
I just built something, the dimensions of which were dictated by the size of my wheeled duffel bag. It holds my pole spear on one side, my airbalette on the other, and whatever else in the middle, with bungies. There is a handle at the back where the fish stringer will attach. It's 4" thick styrofoam. The top has some 1/4 inch marine plywood underneath the 6oz fiberglass. I know I did an awful job if the fiberglassing, but I was in a hurry, and the weather was getting cold. It will get its' first use in Costa Rica on Christmas Day. I'm going to try to attach pics...

Okay, pics incoming....(I hope I got this right)..any suggestions for improvement would be welcome, as I intend to leave this one with local spearfishermen in Cuba on my next trip there.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 354
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 353
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 343
Reactions: Mr. X
good job marcus; i use a body-board float and have adapted it by adding a plastic waterproof box on the top for my vhf, or other 'dry' things. You could just screw/bolt one on. also how about rucksack style carry straps? thats the best part of this type of board imo.

How is the flag attached? can it flex at the bottom, otherwise if you get it flipped coming in then it might break? [i'be broken 3 flag sticks so far!].

thats a nice BIG flag, which i like!!! :)

It's a fairly rigid mount; just a piece of PVC pipe glassed in, with the base of the fg flag stick in a piece of rubber tubing. I was trying to find some kind of spring that I could force fit into the deck, and then force fit the flag mast so that it would have complete flexibility and return to upright.... but I ran out of time. I'll have to dismast before returning through the surf, I guess. No biggie.

Looks good. I have been looking for a sevylor reef 55/120 for a while but they seam to be few and far between these days.

here one that i made, ive also since added a 1msquared flage on a broken fishing rod.... its fully sick dude but can cause a bit or drag, i think ill make it into a catamaran style bottom to fix that
DSCF1186.jpg
DSCF1187-1.jpg

Here is a new addition to the board - mesh with zipper cover. Lots of capacity easily accessed.
mesh011.jpg

meshcover020.jpg

meshcover012.jpg

meshcover012.jpg

Does any one knows, where can i buy a Banks Board in UK?

Is there a reseller?

I love that board, and for years its being in my mind, but here in Portugal theres no place to buy it. From UK its more easy to sent to Portugal, than from USA.

Thanks in advace

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT