• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing/Freediving Alone?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PSagion88

Oct 31, 2007
Hello everyone:
I came to find out recently, that all my friends don't like the water, and/or are the biggest wimps that ever touched foot in this planet.

None of them wants to go spearfishing with me, so I have decided to go on my trips by my self.
A little info on where I will be:
For now everything will be in shore within less than 100 yards from the sand. I'll provably be with in the radius of a well know hotel (The Breakers) so in case of an emergency i'm on walking distance of help.

Now, I'm very comfortable with the water, but I need to hear from the experts. Is it a bad idea to go by myself? and if is ok? what should i watch out for?

I would love your feed back,:)

to give you a short answer, YES its dangerous to go on your own, among the dangers are:
1 - You could get entangled at the bottom as you attempt to extract a holed up fish
2 - You could get a cramp (even if you are fit, dehydration can cause that) and be unable to swim back
3 - A buddy can look out for you if there are marine hazards in your area, sharks and boats are 2 good examples..
4 - You could blackout for pushing yourself beyond your limits, your life will then depend on someone pulling you to the surface immediately and doing the necessary steps...

having said that, you could do some things based on the conditions you outlined:
1 - Always tell someone on shore (possibly from the hotel if they have a lifeguard), where you will be exactly and when you intend to return..so that they will look out for you
2 - Always have a float and flag that are visible even in surf (log flag pole)
3 - Always take a bottle of water with you on your float, if you could put some fruit thats good too (oranges tend to have a good resitance to water)
4 - Keep the fish stringer on your float and not on your belt
5 - Rig the gun in a way to lbe able to ditch it in case of any danger/entangelemnt..reels or attaching the gun to the float (my preferred option) are both good options, their use will depend on conditions where you hunt...
6 - Have a spare gun on the float if you have another gun..
7 - Dont eat heavy food and DRink lots of water before you dive

thats basically what i could think of at this point

Even the best and very experienced freedivers/spearos die in the water when alone, we hear it too often. You can't trust lifeguard at the pool so big hotel 100 yards away is no help either, there is danger no matter how shallow You are, You can even push Yourself further thinking "it's so shallow here".

What You need is new friends, aqua people, try to find them, here is a good place to start looking

cheers

I spearfish alone in sea during my summer vacations, but when doing so I stick to the coastal line, never swimming far away from the coast and sticking to comfortable depths. I once swam into the sea for about 400 meters to a rock and nearly had a heat stroke after swimming in waters that turned out to be too hot for my suit and I struggled to get back to shore. Since then I stay within 100 meters from the shore. But I must says it does get on my nerves - my breath hold is 30 percent less when I spearfish alone in unknown waters.

Indeed you will be putting your ass on the edge by diving alone.
what Marwan mentioned on Top, it is all true...
Dont push the limits, take good rests between dives. Never hypervantilate.
If on the way up, your shaft got stucked inbetween the rocks, leave it and make another dive after taking enough rest.

Happy diving and try to take a freediving course to know more about this sport.

Even the best and very experienced freedivers/spearos die in the water when alone.
cheers
...but they DO go alone.
What I mean is that we all know that diving alone is dangerous and should be avoided, but nonetheless we all do dive/hunt alone, and it's very often, for two main reasons: 1) no buddies available and /or 2) for the intimate pleasure of an introspective experience.
Knowing that it's dangerous, however, is a very important starting point: follow Marwan's adivices, don't push yourself beyond your limits, improve depth, bottom time and difficulty level only STEP BY STEP, very prudently and modestly.
PS- Even if "don't go alone" is theoretically the best adivce to give, I honestly think it's useless to tell newbies "don't go alone", because we all know they will do that.

Last edited:
Hello Spaghetti! I have to go alone must of the time in a radius of around 2.5 km. I start at 6;30 am. until 12;M, BUT I LOVE IT! I start looking for lobsters then spearfishing. It is very dangerous to be spearfishing alone but the pleasureof it is biger. Keep your fish on top of the board, the knife always with you, be careful and if you know your abilities nothing will happens.

Tomy..

If you are asking for our advice, it tells me that you are not comfortable and worried, and if that is the case, dont do it, wait until you have a diving buddy.One of the cardinal rules in spearfishing is using a buddy system, once you break that rule you are on your own,,,good luck.

Last edited:
if you know your abilities nothing will happen.
Well, not exactly. On the contrary, something wrong might always happen. Even if you are prudent and extremely careful with the biggest dangers, which are related to bottom times and depths, there are so many unpredictible events which might kill you, especially if alone with no buddy and no boat: line tangling, sting from some poisonous fish, a boat cruising your area very fast, cramps, a fin blade that gets broken, a sudden change in current and weather, attack of seasickness while you're far from shore, getting cut and bleed hard.....

Reactions: atomichaggis
As I said, is very dangerous to go alone. I have been waiting for around a month to go fishing, I will invite my friend of course, the sea is going to be very good tomorow if he can't go I will have to go alone, I do not advice it to nobody. But personally I will take that chances.

The long and short of it is that the nature of the activity is inherently dangerous.
In SCUBA we were told "The safest way to dive is to not dive at all." but that, obviously is taking it too far.

The safest way to dive is to make yourself aware of all the potential dangers and take actions that will remove the hazard or reduce the risk.

One of the most effective actions is to dive with a buddy.

So unless you are taking enough action to remove/reduce risks to a satisfactory level then you should dive with a buddy.

Last edited:
Many of us break the cardinal rule sometimes.
None of us will recommend that You or anyone else does the same.
Best advice I can offer if You do break the cardinal rule are...
take a knife or two, Dive WELL within Your limits and never push it, stay close to shore, use a bouy and always let people know where You are and for how long.

I dived minus a bouy the other weekend and was about 2 meters from getting my hair parted by a crab potter... heart rate went through the roof, had to flare my fins hard to stop me going straight into it.
too much shit can go wrong in the drink.

Reactions: spaghetti
...Come on folks let's be serious, this is the usually lie that we say to ourself to make us feel a little bit more confortable when we start going down under....unless your buddy is up in a boat holding a rope tied to you or watching what you're doing I wouldn't rely much in a buddy who is spearing like you......if something goes wrong he will rescue at least 15 minutes later (if you are lucky)
I would rather rely on a simple device: a kind of life vest with a small computer that would shoot me up to the surface once a preset time is expired.....

Reactions: Mr. X
Watching is exactly what a buddy should be doing and that does mean one dive on and one off.
many people also dive rigged as pairs, two divers on one line through connection on the float so only one can go down at a time and both are always connected unless one drops their lead.

I dive almost exclusively by myself. I head out with friends and we might stay in sight of each other at the surface, but that's it. We have crap vis for the most part anyway and buddy-spearing is just not fun or practical. We take our chances and dive very conservatively. I can do a 6+ minute static, can do a 3 minute hunting dive with full kit in cold water, so usually I limit the dives to under 2 minutes.
But spearfishing deaths are number 1 within the freedivering community, so it's a risk you need to calculate, thinking of the consequences and sorrow that others might feel if you die.

thanks for the feed back, however, me been 19 says that i'm all about taking chances, however, early this afternoon i went to try my fishing luck, but the water was a bit rough, so i decided not to get in, (i'm young not stupid).
But as i was driving back home i saw this dude on a bike with spearfishing gear hanging out all over the place, he looked familiar, and when i stop to ask him where was he heading to hunt, i realize that it was josh a fellow hunter i meet at a local dive store....

So we went on and try the water, but visibility was 0%, so we left...
End of the line is, I got a diving buddy... ME be HAPPY.:)

Are we letting someone know where and how long so they can retrieve the body?

Watching is exactly what a buddy should be doing and that does mean one dive on and one off.
many people also dive rigged as pairs, two divers on one line through connection on the float so only one can go down at a time and both are always connected unless one drops their lead.

yah Atomic, I must admit that we tried that thactic but few minutes later when I saw a big fish sticking into a small cave I forgot about my patner
and went on my own......I still think that a good device instead can really help you if you find yourself in a bad situation......

Good to hear you got a buddy mate, but this is actually quite a interesting discussion seeing that were all confessing so heres mine :)
To be quite honest, we do it pretty much the same as Erick. Theres allways more than one person in the water but we seldom hang on top while another is in the water. We or myself for that matter do wait till I see everyone diving with me coming up at least once before I go down again, just to make sure that they are still there. During December holiday Im normally in a place where Ill be almost the only spearo there so I dive on my own with the wife on the beach. When diving alone I dont dive deep neither do I go down for very long. I scan a area quickly and if I dont see anything go back up, or Ill use surface swimming to scout a likely spot or spot fish and then go down and investigate or just shoot from the top. This technique does have its setbacks but you are being saver. Also I wear a sharksheild and if a shark is spotted Ill get out imediately. I have a bodyboard float or bullet float to my gun with a flag on the bodyboard for crayfish season when the boaters go crazy.

I have read the posts and I agree fully that it iis of course much safer to dive with a buddy. But I personally can afford going to the sea once or twice a year and I take my family with me so I have no choice, but to do it alone during those vacations. Otherwise -for local sweet water trips - I l always go with my best friend who is also my spearfishing buddy. There is actually one disadvantage of doing it with a buddy in local rivers - they are sometimes so murky that you have to separate and stay away dozens of meters away behind a turn of the river from each other to avoid the risk of spearing each other's fins which look like catfish in murky water.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT