• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing/Freediving Alone?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
As far as your unhappy sentence is concerned " If they valued a fish more than your life" I would say " for a small brem probabily not.....but for a 80kgs tuna....you are dead man!!!
:vangry[/QUOTE]

roflroflrofl I might even punch my brother for a good tunasalad sandwich

As far as your unhappy sentence is concerned " If they valued a fish more than your life" I would say " for a small brem probabily not.....but for a 80kgs tuna....you are dead man!!!
:vangry

roflroflrofl I might even punch my brother for a good tunasalad sandwich[/quote]

Ha ha, you're killing me Octpora. OK, since my life ain't worth that much anyway, I can understand the tuna being more important. Mmmmhh, I could eat some sashimi right about now! Tell you what though. If it's just tuna salad that makes you happy, let me know BEFORE the dive, and I'll whip some up for you. Then I can dive confidently knowing you're not taking off chasing tupperware full of "chicken of the sea"...:t

With respect to previous posts, it really was not meant to be directed to anyone in particular. I completely understand that there are extenuating circumstances and that sometimes we do what we must in order to "put some food on the table". I was just surprised by some of the posts that almost sounded flat out against the buddy system, or did not seem to employ it in a very meaningful fashion. Let me clear the air right now by saying that I am neither judging nor preaching.

Re: diving deep, I'm not the one you need to convince. You won't find me diving very deep. I'm not that capable a freediver. I will say however that back home (Greece), there aren't as many fish left in the water as there are here in Florida so sometimes you won't find much of anything until you head a little deeper. Or perhaps I'm just bad at finding them...certainly a possibility...:head

For me spearfishing alone is one of life's great pleasures, OK it's fun to go out with your mates on the boat but even then we tend to hunt well over 100 metres apart. I think in bad vis it can be difficult to use a buddy system. For example when diving in 1.5m vis at a depth of say 5m can you really know where your buddy is? You can't see each other, if a fish swims overhead can you know for sure you wont hit your buddy? Just an example of a difficulty but it shows that diving with a buddy is not an answer in itself even if you are sharing one gun.
I agree. As I noted earlier, some folks have accidentally shot others' fins in Russia, thinking that these were catfish, because of low visibility and one guy shot another's thigh thru. We stay away from each other with my buddy to avoid this when spearfishing in murky waters. But I would prefer someone to hang around 100 meters or so away from me - it helps me to stay calm and affects positively my breath hold

Phantalassia,
....I did not mean to "sound flat out" as you said....if I did it I apologize.... but you know this is the usual misunderstanding when you chat at the computer......you can easily get someone wrong....anyway NOW I'm really UPSET for what you wrote:
"In Greece there aren't many fish left in the water"????????????????????
ARE YOU PULLING OUR LEGS?????????
Have you ever speared in Liguria?????? (The closest sea from my home 150Kms)
... in a sea full of grubby oil?????? If you ever happen to drink a drop of that "water" you'll puke as it taste so bitter......once you are back home you will realize that
your diving suit, gun,fins will stink of petrol station forever........and how about if I decide to go to the lake?????? it's even worse as the water is polluted by the local drain....and YOU ARE TELLING ME THAT THERE ARE NO FISH IN GREECE?????????
There are spearos in this forum who strain their back to catch a small fish...don't you know that?????????
Have you ever seen HEYPARIS' videos full of joy for instance???????? Diving in mulky dirty water like that????and when all of the sudden the camera crash against a poor scratched fish you ear an alarm kinda nuclear central calling for an imminent evaquation and you have got the feeling that if this guy get closer he will be exposed to radiation......??????
and you are saying there are no fish left in a paradise like Greece???????
YOU SHOULD BE ASHEMED OF YOURSELF!!!!!!
....just kidding.....have a nice day

2 Marmir. Well, it is not always that murky! Watch the video of spearfishing in the Volga river, for instance, the viz is quite decent!

2 Marmir. Well, it is not always that murky! Watch the video of spearfishing in the Volga river, for instance, the viz is quite decent!

.....Sorry Hyeparis, but a friend of mine has just come back from Greece and he showed me a lot of pics of fish he had speared and I must tell that is what any spearo would call celestial prairies of Manitou!!!!
So when I read "there are no fish left in greece".....MMMMMMMHHHHH.....

Spaghetti I'm from Milan....and I think you are from Rome aren't you?

Reactions: spaghetti

No I'm a Tuscan but I'm living in the foggy North same as you. When the winter ice will melt, we might well go hunting together: I've heard it's dangerous to dive alone!!! rofl
Greece: il mio primo ricordo del mare della grecia è il seguente: vado in spiaggia (disarmato, con morosa), metto le testa sott'acqua appena due passi oltre il bagnasciuga, e cosa ti vedo? Un sarago faraone grosso come un piatto da grigliata, che mi guarda e mi dice: "Coglione, allora l'hai lasciato a casa il fucilino, eh?!" rofl

.....Sorry Hyeparis, but a friend of mine has just come back from Greece and he showed me a lot of pics of fish he had speared and I must tell that is what any spearo would call celestial prairies of Manitou!!!!

Oh where is that place? I have been to Republic of Cyprus and Crete nearly a dozen times, but I have not seen much fish (

Hi there, Hyeparis, you're a great new addiction for this forum: I enjoy a lot your posts, but please don't bash on Marmir, cause his point of view is correct: if one dives in Liguria (or Italy in general), any other place will look extraordinarily fishy in comparison. Witness.

I dont think that was bashing.

FYI, this is not bashing either.

Thanks for pointing out. But I said "bash" in a "hyperbolic" sense (sort of humor) with no argumentative intention at all (and nobody seems to be really arguing so far). :)

Thanks for pointing out. But I said "bash" in a "hyperbolic" sense (sort of humor) with no argumentative intention at all (and nobody seems to be really arguing so far). :)
Well that's what I thought too, that got me looking through the posts again looking for a hidden bash but alas, there is no moderating to do here, the thread is bashless :)

Hey, Spaghetti!
The last thing I want is to become an addiction! )
As for my question - I was actually serious - I get to spearfish in the Med only once a year, so I was hoping Marmir would PM me some good tips, since I won't be able to take advantage of them very often.

Reactions: spaghetti
No I'm a Tuscan but I'm living in the foggy North same as you. When the winter ice will melt, we might well go hunting together: I've heard it's dangerous to dive alone!!! rofl
Greece: il mio primo ricordo del mare della grecia è il seguente: vado in spiaggia (disarmato, con morosa), metto le testa sott'acqua appena due passi oltre il bagnasciuga, e cosa ti vedo? Un sarago faraone grosso come un piatto da grigliata, che mi guarda e mi dice: "Coglione, allora l'hai lasciato a casa il fucilino, eh?!" rofl

....Sure buddy! I'm looking forward to go pearfishing togheter...
The guy I talkied about who had just come back from Greece is from Livorno and lives in north of Milan.....

....Come'on Hyeparis,
I'm awfully gealous of my good fishing spots.....

Even though I would be able to spearfish at your spots only once a year for a maximum of two weeks?
Ok, then, should you ever decide if you feel like spearing a 80-kilo catfish or a 10-kilo pike perch in Russia, do not hesitate to ask! I honor reciprocity more than anything else )))

You guys misunderstood.:head
My previous post said, and I quote: "there aren't as many fish in Greece as there are in Florida". After all, Florida waters have not been fished by numerous civilizations for thousands of years...
I never said there weren't any fish in Greece. :rcard That would be a ridiculous statement. I spent my entire youth (20 years) swimming, fishing, and diving the shores of Greece. IMHO there aren't nearly as many fish as you see as soon as you jump into the water in Florida.

Can fish be found? Absolutely. Are they abundant? Perhaps not. Certainly I've found nice fish when I've gone to little remote islands in the middle of nowhere, but even many of the islands have depleted stocks. This was NOT an over-arching statement that claimed there were no fish anywhere in Greece (and therefore by default the Med).

I will try not to take it personally since you guys don't know me...:waterwork

Last edited:
I suppose its not quite cricket to refer to other web sites, but I think this subject is so important that it may warrant an exception. The thread under way has quite an extensive discussion of the subject, and many of the posts are by very experienced and capable divers.

[ame="http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=54371"]R.I.P. Brother..... - Spearboard Spearfishing Community[/ame]

Bill: ...Thanks Bill, moving threads.

Panthalassia:.....I did not misundertand...It was just a joke....I'm sure you are a nice guy but it was a simple joke there is nothing to be taken personally...(I stuck myself in a "cul de sac").....you know Greece is the country I have always wished to go but for many personal reasons I hv never had a chance....but sooner a later......

Hyeparis: ....As I said before where I dive it's not exactly a paradise I have no secrests for anybody...and I would never take a person from abroad in such oil plant......but let's be realistic the chances that we meet around the world is one out of (billion zeros)...All I can tell you is that Sardinia is worth going....almost wherever you go is fishy (just be careful about parks there many there)....

2 Marmir
Thanks. I actually have an Italian colleague at work whose mom has a big house in Sardinia, so I might check it out one day. I was actually asking about that friend of yours who came from Greece with lots of fish.
If you ever head to Russia - let me know - I will spell out where to go for big catfish, pike perches and wild carps if you are interested.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT