• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing/Freediving Alone?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I dive alone, quite often. It has presented some dangers. This is especially true when diving from my boat in the stong currents off Palm Beach in Florida.
I live in Palm Beach County. Perhaps we'll go out together some-time.

I'm familiar with a couple of episodes of free-diving deaths. In those, the unfortunate one had a buddy who, for some reason, wasn't able to provide help. I could never advise you to dive alone though, it is a personal decision.

If you do dive alone at depths in the range of 50-70 feet, you may choose to do a few things I do.

Time every dive and stick to a max dive time. I try to keep surface to surface times at 2 minutes or less. Don't ever exceed your predetermined max dive time.

Don't ever chase fish. Not only does this scare them, but it is dangerous. If you get in the habit of chasing fish, you will begin to push your limits. Ultimately you may push them too far. Refine your skills so that you draw the fish to you or so that fish do not mind being approached by you. You can start this by giving the fish the impression that you do not notice it.

Don't ever fight a fish out of a hole in deep water on a breath-hold. In fact, don't ever struggle at depth for any reason, ever. Smoothly descend, neatly harpoon your quarrry, and pull it to the surface, from the surface.

Do what you can to keep a speared fish from diving into a hole. This seems to fly in the face of the previous comment, and in fact it does. Nothing is black and white. Do not though expend SIGNIFICANT energy at depth ever. The few times I have put myself at risk have involved fighting fish at depth.

Tie your gun to a float, if your fish runs, let it take the gun, float-line and float. You can pull the fish to the surface after it tires. Resist the temptation to fight the fish other than from the surface where you can breathe. Use a float and not a reel for these reasons.

Carry a knife and be prepared to cut your shooting line if you can't pull a fish off the bottom.

Tie a whistle to your float.

Forget about glory. Instead, become one with the water and the things I mentioned above start to come more naturally.

Reactions: Erik
Hi,
On the subject of spearfishing alone, I do it often. Like you I don't
have many friends who have interest to spearfish. And sometimes on
the new people I meet who do spearfish, I find it a hassle to align time
or days off to do it. Most of my dive appointments with others has ended
up in cancealations. I spearfish every week if weather conditions permit.
Being self-sufficient is very important in spearfishing alone. Taking all the
matters of safty and dangers in to consideration. Being prepared.
Should not having a dive parner stop you from doing what you desire?
That seems to be the question.
I will still spearfish alone if no parner is available. Safely of course.

Bro you're such a noob lets go spearfishing you me and mahiman can do a shore dive now that its spring break. I plan on visiting FL Freedivers store and want to do a shore dive up in palm beach. How deep is it there???? PM me cuz I'll forget I even commented here, lol!

Bro you're such a noob lets go spearfishing you me and mahiman can do a shore dive now that its spring break. I plan on visiting FL Freedivers store and want to do a shore dive up in palm beach. How deep is it there???? PM me cuz I'll forget I even commented here, lol!
hiya skimfish...don't know about WPB but in Hollywood, Dania Beach a shoredive is do-able, 500yds from the beach 10-20'depth...if your looking to hookup for a dive post in the Florida section, that your looking to head out with someone...that usually works for me, I'm in Miami, and often head out during the week...try never to dive solo...ain't worth the fish, my 2 centavos

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT