• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Cork, Ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey guys I'll be back on august, i'm already to spear on august 3rd, and the following week, as well,

do you think a 5.5 mm wetsuit, is ok, here? what kind of fishes do you catch in here?, and what depth do you go in?

sorry so many questions,

regards what kind of wet suit to use, I have a 7 mm Picasso camo, which I think is the ultimate in comfort so much so I only use the top half, its a bit of a shock to the sack & Mickey at first but you soon get used to the water, advantages are I use less weights I am more flexible & able to pursue fish with less restriction. This time is the warmest in Irish seas also ,but yes a 5 mm suit is okay for an hour or so, happy hunting. micko

I will hunt anything that I think is worth spearing from Bass Pollock Ling mackerel wrasse even once a small sized tuna ,I dive to 50 or so feet if required depending on what I am hunting. micko

what's the temperature of the water?
here is about 27 degree at te moment (I use a 3mm suit now) but it goes down to 12 or below in winter
I fish with a 5,5 mm suit in winter for a couple of hours
If I move back to ireland maybe is time for a 7mm made to measure?

You will get away with a 5.5 suit in the summer & autumn months in Ireland, the temperature is probably 14 to 16 Now but the difference in winter is not that great, in Fact April May are the coldest months in the sea off Ireland's coast perhaps 10 or so. Most year I wear the 7mm Picasso Camo & only the top part as I find it too buoyant. micko

hello there ,
whereabouts in kerry are you based,I just moved there from glasgow,well about a year ago,but recently took up scuba diving and wouldnt mind a go at free diving etc though dont have anyone to dive with yet

Hi Crashball

Not into spearo yet, only just started freediving and have the bug!!! Do you ever get up to West Clare, if so can you contact me, would love to buddy up and maybe take up the spear too.

Dont catch it unless you can eat it!!!!!!!!!!!

Man,,,,,,,,,,,,,, im posting real late!! anyways im from Clonakilty West Cork and iv been spearfishing for 3 years now...... im a qualified diver but i much prefer free diving when using a speargun!! i own 3 spearguns, 2 band, and a pneumatic (gas powered gun) im really looking for a buddy to spearfish with for summer 2012 s if anyone reads this and is interested please give me a reply and we can sort something out!!! :D

hey ya,
I have recently taken up freediving and looking for a buddy around ireland to do sum over the x-mas or new year, weather according.. I done my aida 2star and want to get sum practice in.. Myt be able to travel down to cork if their is anybody interested in my offer down that way.. Im still a rookie but a good one at that.!! ha.

hey mate..:)
Im just after posting a thread and then I saw your post.. I m also looking for a buddy,
I done my 2 star recently and looking to get more practice in, I havnt done any spearfishing but i know the basic tecniques.. would love to be your buddy/safty diver.. in the summer... but i am moving to canada for a while late january but myt be home in the summer..

I use to live down in clon so be good to re visit the place sumtime and have a pint in de barra's... I'm looking for a buddy for over x-mas/ new year.. weather according of course.. if you want a session somewhere..??

Watch that pneumatic gun. It needs a licence in Ireland. Banded are ok but gas powered are classed as firearm.

Hi all, there is a whatsapp group for free divers in Cork, message me on whatsapp and I'll add you +353 89 457 4335

Likely some ppl there would also be interested in spearfishing (I would like to learn)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT