• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Germany

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
As far as I know, no. All the posts Ive seen by German divers have indicated its illegal.

But where would you dive anyway? The dirty, dirty Nordsee, or in the polluted rivers?

When my father got his fishing license it involved a lot of money and tests, so I dont think you'll even be able to get a license to fish, let alone spearfish in freshwater.

Leave the gun at home! ;)

Croatia and Italy is not so far from Germany you can dive and spear there easy trip for long weekend from munich to croatia is easily done in a day. good roads etc.

Sorry, but spearfishing in Germany and Croatia is not allowed.

MANUEL

Thanks for the info. Its a pity because some of the lakes can have good viz and they have nice fish like trout and pike in it.

Manuel said:
Sorry, but spearfishing in Germany and Croatia is not allowed.

MANUEL
Spearfishing in Croatia's rivers and lakes may not be allowed but in the sea it is perfectly legal.
I bought a speargun there not too long ago.

@ Huan: Are you sure?
I've been to croatia (sea) a few weeks ago and read in a (non-diving) magazine that spearfishing is not allowed there. I was really surprised because in almost all mediterrean countries it is allowed.
For me it's not so important because I don't spearfish.
I just know definitly that in german rivers and lakes spearfishing is not allowed.

MANUEL

Here is a Croatian Spearo site address and a few more web addresses for info
Sorry Croatian site is in Croatian. I think scuba spearing and using torches may be banned and a few more rules but spearing is OK
http://www.efsa.hr/glavna.htm

http://www.divenewzealand.com/articles.asp?sid=303 11.

Where can I find more information on diving and spear-fishing in Croatia?

In every bigger tourist centre, in harbor master’s office you can get permits for fishing and spear-fishing. Information on diving possibilities in Croatia can be found on Croatian diving association’s site.

I know Croatia hosted a World Spearfishing Championship not too long ago. They have a pretty active team/club. I think they took 5th? when I was in Brazil in 2002.

Scott

spearfishin (no scuba!) in croatian sea is perfectly legal, everywhere except in the small specific areas protected as nature's sanctuaries. Notice that when you're there you must purchase a fishing license fo 1, 3, 7 or 15 days at the local coast guard, or also in fishing gear shops. In the same places you may get information about local rules. Remember to carry the buoy: controls are very strict.

A small hint: Don't even try ask German divers about spearfishing. People will lynch you for just thinking about it!

People here have no idea and think its all about killing as manny fish as possible and as cruel aspossible. Pretty silly!

Fishing without a license is no good idea either.

Maybe its allowed in the czech republic?! Close to munich.

Last edited:
Ricochet, is correct "Don't even try asking German divers about spear fishing"
The Germans have this national guilt complex when it comes to killing things. Most Germans I have meet didn't know how to load a gun and didn't want to learn. Because it could make them look like Nazi’s. They think I am a waked out American who likes to kill fish.

Hi,

I am german and I'm a spearfisher, too!

In Germany it is official illegal. But I know some guys fishing here,too.
We have beautiful lakes with good fish.
When they catch you, you must be fined a lot of money and will get an accusation because of poaching.

I always fish in mediterranean sea. Last week I was in Mallorca. Sometimes you can find very cheap flys.

the picture is shooted yesterday, and today I'm back in Germany

Last edited:
so while you are flying, they don't ask you in airport " what you gonna do with those things ??" rofl

no, I never had problems with the spearguns at the airport. Of course, you can not take them as hand luggage :duh
You have to pack them safely and they take them into special luggage.
Sometimes I have problems with my weight belt, because they can not recognize it when they x-ray it.
I have more trouble when I fly with filming equipment for my job ;-)

Hey Murat:
I think that in this case being a woman helps in the airports regarding the spearGUNS topic rofl and they don't hear the word GUN anymore.
They treat Vivien nicely, not like to most of us guys..we must look like terrorist with those artifacts :duh

Cheers,

Roberto

I think in general it has nothing to do being female or male!
My brother flys with spearguns often, too. And he also had never got problems.
It is simple dependent on the airport you fly.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT