• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Japan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
I have seen a few of the DB members who spear in Japan.

Can someone direct me to the threads as there is a friend of mine going over there for 10 months and he would like to go shoot something whilst out there

Thanks in advance

Shane

I think most of the guys here have been US military personel spearing in Okinawa.

If he is most likely going to mainland, things might get hairy a spearing is a bit of a grey area in Japan.

There is a group of spearos in Hokkaido. I had the link to thir site in the past somewhere.

I honestly think that diving in Japan could be very nice and even productive.
However, a Gaijin running about with a speargun is 300% sure to get plenty of attention (incl. local police).

I know for sure that there is at least one professional spearo in Okinawa.

I'm actually pretty interested in this subject myself.

Cheers,
Mikko

As far as I know spearfishing is legally reserved as a means of harvesting fish for professional fishermen only, not for hobbyists.

Hi!

I'm the one who is going to Japan. Thanks Shane for posting it here!

I will live in Kagoshima and I hope to be able to spear there, but I want to be sure that I'm allowed to spear before going there, so that if take there my equipment with me, it will be useful.

Thanks for the info!

Pepe

P.S.: Sorry for my English, but I hadn't written it for years.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT