• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in north east England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'm hoping the swell drops and the wind moves to light westerlies fairly soon as I'm up visiting from the southwest to visit family (DafyddRees) and friends over the bank hols and have been given a pass out from the wife for a dive while up your way - whoop whoop!! Got my eyes on a few spots that I know holds plenty of lobster and good fish (had a crazy greek friend who shot a huge ling at one spot and has also left me a lovely map for some good holes for cod and lobbies.... fingers crossed the weather holds!

Be interested to know how you get on with the weather. It's flat calm and sunny in the middle of the north sea at the moment......obviously not right now as its night time but.....:head

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a quick dive around 7 am @ Bamburgh this morning then went for a paddle round the outer Farnes and had another brief swim out there.
The vis off Bamburgh this morning was spectacular - must have been 7 m easily but not so clear at the outer Farnes, but there is a huge amount of tide out there.
Didn't have the gun so no fish but certainly saw a few this morning.

Beautiful day and very unusually flat conditions for the Farnes . Pics on my FB @
http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.486003141410146.113460.100000013928382&type=1

Nice photo Grant, conditions looked perfect! Did you get any rain this afternoon as we had torrential downpours for a couple of hours! Going for a night dive tomorrow night, will report back :)

If you're out Dunstanburgh way don't forget to to nip into Craster for some proper kippers. I bought some last week. I was only over for 2 days visiting family so no time to dive but I may bring the car over next summer and bring the diving gear.

Let us know Dave, would be great to meet up and have a dive. See if you can bestow some of your legendary pollock hunting skills on us :)

Hello all.. New to this forum and spearing the NE but went up bednell yesterday and altho had a good dive both at beanell there wasn;t too much about to be honest altho not sure if I was in the best place.. (parked next to the wall on the way in and worked my way towards the harbour north reef) Had a bit more luck further south between craster and longhoughton? plenty decent size flatties,, one big wrasse (but didn't shoot cause they tatse uuurhggh!) but no bass to be seen, or much else? anyone know some better spots.. was thinking up dunsburgh point, so park at craster and walk up or swim from crater itself which has plenty reefs? I'm also going to go check redcar south gare tomorrow as I have heard this is good for bass and also lobster? anyone had any experience here.. I'm local so keen to get out plenty and be keen to go dive with anyone who's got a bit of local knowledge? drop me a txt Dave 07876794954

Hi Dave

I'd say you've just been unlucky! Like any other place Beadnell takes a bit of time to get to know - sounds like you may have been in nacker hole?

If so I find it is inconsistent - sometimes ok but often not a lot other than flounder, which can be decent sized.
One thing to bear in mind about that area is that it has a huge number of Scuba divers and you often see them after lobbies etc. so personally I tend to avoid that area.
Dunstanburgh is another good area but really watch the tide there - it is a pretty fearsome stream at times.

I was out around 2 miles N of you early yesterday and although there were fish around they weren't in huge numbers. The water was only 12 deg yesterday as well brr!

Bass? They are around but although most Spearos will give you lots of help I don't reckon many will tell you Bass marks on this coast. Best way to find them is to dive lots and they'll appear eventually but tbh don't expect the sort of numbers you see from Wales or the S coast. Pollock, flatties, codling (?) and lobbies/ crab will be your most likely targets but in some areas, if your lucky, you will find the odd Bass.

Cheers

Grant

Hello all.. New to this forum and spearing the NE but went up bednell yesterday and altho had a good dive both at beanell there wasn;t too much about to be honest altho not sure if I was in the best place.. (parked next to the wall on the way in and worked my way towards the harbour north reef) Had a bit more luck further south between craster and longhoughton? plenty decent size flatties,, one big wrasse (but didn't shoot cause they tatse uuurhggh!) but no bass to be seen, or much else? anyone know some better spots.. was thinking up dunsburgh point, so park at craster and walk up or swim from crater itself which has plenty reefs? I'm also going to go check redcar south gare tomorrow as I have heard this is good for bass and also lobster? anyone had any experience here.. I'm local so keen to get out plenty and be keen to go dive with anyone who's got a bit of local knowledge? drop me a txt Dave 07876794954

For Redcar pop into Dennydive and have a word with lad there. He may go out and show you some spots. Never dived with him but he knows the area?

cheers for the info Grant! Am loving it and had some good trips recently out in Cyprus, Cape Verde and the canaries surfing and this is the perfect sport for me when the surf ain;t pumping so can see me spending plenty time off the NE over the next few months.
Yeti, I've been in recently to denny diving and got some stuff from there.. very helpful indeed and he offered to go for a dive sometime with me!

Heading down early to check some spots I've been told are fairly reliable spots so will let you's know how I get on and if viz is good get some footage

Hi all,
New to all this too. Just waiting for my second semi dry before I can have a good attempt at feeding myself, after the first turned out to be a bit ambitiously trim around the waist. I went in at Saltburn for a splash about and although the suit was really warm, (and had dry spots when I took it off, which amazed me!), I could hardly breath in it.
Anyway, I was in Denny's buying some gear and he told me he goes in off the scar straight in front of his shop. Think that's East Scar. He said it's quite a good spot, but very susceptible to surface winds.
There's lots of men with sticks at the South Gare, so probably loads of fish, but I doubt the tankers going into Teesport do much for visibility.

Welcome to the forum, if you haven't already bought a suit then I would strongly recommend you buy a purpose spearfishing or free diving suit as this will be much warmer that a semi dry scuba suit for your needs...

Was out for a night dive last night with Ben which proved fruitful. A little disappointing on the fish point only finding 2 flounder just big enough for the lot. As grant alluded too, it was much colder last night than it has been previously due to the midweek swell I guess. I think that may have had something to do with the fish vacating the area for a few days. Found a nice lobster that was dancing with crab as well. Ben had two lobbies and I think a couple of videos to go with it!

Night spearing sounds amazing.. what type would you need for this? I would imagine something decent (and probably expensive) would be the only way to go for night diving.
Heading down now for a session :t

Guys, every time I hit the east coast (which is about half the distance as the slog to wales)the vis is awful. I end up heading over to Wales/Anglesey which is a fair old round trip.
I'm not looking for marks, just some advice have any of you speared anywhere south of Whitby? what's the vis like on a good day? I've seen kelp so I'm hoping there's bass? What's the general experience like on the east? Do I have to slog right up north for a decent dive?

Welcome to the forum, if you haven't already bought a suit then I would strongly recommend you buy a purpose spearfishing or free diving suit as this will be much warmer that a semi dry scuba suit for your needs...

Thanks! Choice was limited to what was on ebay, but I've managed to get a 7mm two piece for about a quarter of the RRP. So that's a decent start point I hope. I'll spend money on a new one if the cheap one doesn't end up thrown in the back of the shed after one dive!!

OK.well good luck, should be fine for an hour or so although you will need some pretty heavy weighs on your belt!

Had a great dive today, viz was pretty good and plenty to see, got some flatties 3 lobster and a crab without really trying so pretty positive start to NE spearing !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT