• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in north east England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
OK.well good luck, should be fine for an hour or so although you will need some pretty heavy weighs on your belt!

Is the weight issue different for suits aimed at scuba use then? I was going to try about 6kg as a start point and go from there.

Had a great dive today, viz was pretty good and plenty to see, got some flatties 3 lobster and a crab without really trying so pretty positive start to NE spearing !

Was that at South Gare? My girlfriend lives in Redcar so I'm thinking sea to pot in ten minutes!!

You will require different amounts of wieght for diving different depths, for your own personal size, your body fat, the thickness of suit, the suit material and buoyancy...

A 3mm smooth skin suit is a different animal than a 7mm scuba suit for instance.
6 kg might be fine if you are pretty small with little body fat & dive deep?

Broke my virginity off South Gare, on the seaward side yesterday and learned three valuable lessons.
1. I do indeed need more weight. Quite an effort to get off the surface.
2. The visibility there is crap.
3. Don't stab your spear through the palm of your hand while trying to swim down. (I did draw first blood with it though, so it's not all bad!)

Fish-wise, I saw a six inch flounder as I was getting in then nothing. Like I say though, they would have had to be within about two metres for me to see anything. Plenty of smallish crabs and a lobster who got away as I was thrashing about trying to swim down.

Is there a technique for swimming down or is it all about weight? I don't want to put too much on if I don't have to.

blimey, this threads taken off in the last week or two....

chalkie, thanks for the offer of a lift, i may take u up on that if i dont get my car back for a while.... sorry didnt get back to you about last tuesday,been a bit busy...

anyone diving redcar, id just say, mind ut for the fishing boats but you should easily be able to find where they come in and out and if u go to the right of the scars, theres quite often jetskiers going mental, so again, be careful

south gare, just be mindful of the currents... and the fishermen ... and the big tankers...lol...

Had a cracking dive while up visiting my brother (DafyddRees) yesterday. The conditions have been good all week so we decided to head off to a more exposed spot than we had planned in case the vis had held, which it had. We arrived and were met with 4-5 meters vis and some of the most beautiful underwater scenery I have seen in a long while. Despite this I spent one of the hardest days diving I've had in a while with all dives between 8-13 meters and breaking my snorkle within the first hour and only having a spare mask on my float made breath ups quite difficult!! Spent a total of 5-6 hours in the water and came out with 4 good pollock between 3lb and 7lb, 3 lobsters and a nice edible cock crab all of which were taken at 10m or deeper!!!! All in all a great days diving!!

Attachments

• Pollock 1.JPG
    Pollock 1.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Pollock 2.JPG
    Pollock 2.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Had a cracking dive while up visiting my brother (DafyddRees) yesterday. The conditions have been good all week so we decided to head off to a more exposed spot than we had planned in case the vis had held, which it had. We arrived and were met with 4-5 meters vis and some of the most beautiful underwater scenery I have seen in a long while. Despite this I spent one of the hardest days diving I've had in a while with all dives between 8-13 meters and breaking my snorkle within the first hour and only having a spare mask on my float made breath ups quite difficult!! Spent a total of 5-6 hours in the water and came out with 4 good pollock between 3lb and 7lb, 3 lobsters and a nice edible cock crab all of which were taken at 10m or deeper!!!! All in all a great days diving!!

I had been eyeing this particular spot up for a while but was a little unsure of what to expect. Speaking to Mr FishNE, Grant L himself gave us abit of confidence on the mark though which really paid off. I have to say, it was the most stunning dive I have ever had with the abundance of life combined with the breath taking under water topograhy, from caves and boulders to deep kelp beds. We both remarked after 3 hours WITHOUT a fish between us how Special this place is.

When we found the deeper water, I manged to pick up a very flighty 7lb pollock before the WInky picked 3 fish in 3 dives! I saw no more which might of had something to do with seal that was swimming in close proximity.

Will be trying the deeper reefs in September with Grant to hopefully find some big fish when the pollock move in shore.

Had a dive today with the good lady but she could only manage ~30 minutes due to sea temperature! I did not have my d4 on but it had dropped considerably in a week. There was literally no fish life around bar 1 lonesome micro pollock in an hour of diving, it felt very desolate.

A little further down the coast, birds were hitting a shoal of mackerel that had been herded into a very small bay - quite a spectacle to witness from 25m away.

Fingers crossed will be out for a night dive later this week.

It's funny Dave - the last few weeks the temp has been so variable. I've had between 11 & 15 at the same spot - some very cold currents about.

I'm not going to make it out this week - too much on at w*rk :-(

I had a great spear this last week and altho the viz has been poor still had plenty fish, mostly pollock (15 yesterday!) some good size crab and 3 lobster, one an absolute monster from inside the tees mouth. I've been spearing off the south gare and off the redcar front at low tide.. Might head down the gare today/tomor if anyone fancies a look in.. I will put a pic up if I can work out how to do it!??

Press, post reply (not quick reply) & go down the page, you will see "manage attachments" press that & browse your computer.....

Mmh- looking at your glove beside the fish you've either got huge hands or those are some very small Pollock ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT