• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in north east England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yeh this was the first spot and first time I'd tried here so took a little while and a bit of exploring to find the better spots so the first attempts were a bit small.. later I went in again.. went closer towards the river mouth but was super silty and quite a current so headed deeper and got some bigger ones.. but being fairly new to all this and still building my lung stamina and confidence up on the deeper dives called it a day after I got 3

Anyone fancy a look in the south gare today? heading down shortly now to check out the viz.. buzz me if anyone fancies a dip 07876794954 Dave

Poor viz today and mega low tide off the gare but was good for exploring the deeper holes and got another real good lobbie and crab, but no fish to b seen. I'm away for 1 weeks offshore but keen to get out when I get back if anyone else fancies hookin up

just to let u know... got my car sorted, so once the weather is better, ill be up for a dive.... as long as im not working..lol...

Thought I'd say hello here, started spear fishing the end of this summer, something to do when the surf is flat! Had a session off Kettleness north of Whitby and one off Redcar, bit of a tidal run when out at Redcar, still a bit more knowledge of when to go and when not to go now!

Also had a week in Brittany and managed a few goes, at least I got some shots off even if I didn't hit anything!

Just a quick one, what hoods/gloves to people use? So far I've been hood/glove less.

Also is anyone doing any spearfishing in the North Sea at tis time of year, or is the vis too bad now?

Got a bit of a plan for getting between marks next year... ;)

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum, sounds like you need to do a bit of forum browsing.. have fun looking around.

Greetings from the NE. You will definitely need a hood now as the temperature is dropping. Ideally a 2 piece spearfishing suit with a hood. Best investment is your suit as everything else you can make do with whatever you can get your mitts on but being cold without a proper suit is going to make things, er........uncomfortable.

The vis is going to depend on wind & swell really. If we get settled weather you'll find the cold winter water can be spectacularly clear.
As Yeti says though unless you get a good 2 piece spearing suit you're really not going to enjoy it and even worse may find yourself in a bit of difficulty if you get too cold.

The vis is going to depend on wind & swell really. If we get settled weather you'll find the cold winter water can be spectacularly clear.
As Yeti says though unless you get a good 2 piece spearing suit you're really not going to enjoy it and even worse may find yourself in a bit of difficulty if you get too cold.

In addition to the 2 piece wetsuit, I would say a minimum of a 5mm for the winter, some guys go for a 7mm, like one of my dive buddies who is Spanish & uses in the summer as well.
I would also say a minimum of 5mm gloves & socks, I have just ordered some 7mm socks as I have just started doing night dives & my 2 x 3mm socks just do not cut it. There may be a foot circulation issue there as well, but I thought I should try the 7mm as my feet get damn cold & that is what stops me from functioning.
Long spearfishing fins as well is a definite help, but you have to take into consideration the sock thickness when choosing your fins.
A safety dive float, so you are visible to other users of the sea, weights........
There are some spearfishing starter kits that can be bought if you do a search, which should give you an idea of what you need & you can either purchase those or choose items separately as initial costs may be quite steep, depending on how much money you have to spend.

Anyway, enjoy.

Scott

i use my semi dry dive suit, as ive only bought it a few months ago and cant justify spending out on another suit, eventually i will, used to dive with a mate and i could stay as long as him in his spearo suit...... gloves, i use 3mm gloves, but id say go for 5mm , especially in this temp, even in summer my hands can start to go numb.... its a compromise between being warm and being able to use the gun/knife etc.....

Cheers for all the above and the warm welcome, already have an SMB, fins, weights, mask, 3mm socks etc...

Found my winter surf suit fine in the late summer waters, so will give it a quick try with hood and gloves and some thicker socks before getting a whole new suit.

Trying to combine good conditions with time off and daylight seems to be the biggest challenge at this time of year. If anyone is heading out over a weekend and wouldn't mind me tagging along feel free to give me a shout.

I have an old (battered but still perfectly functional) cressi supercomp 6.5 that I have 'grown out of' :eek:

I don't intend to sell it as it is useful as a second if any mates want to have a go at snorkelling, but it can be borrowed if anyone in NE (realistically close) wants convincing of the benefit of a proper suit. It is a size 4? I think?

Cold is a very personal thing, some do some don't. You will only know once you try it. I use 3mm socks and gloves in the winter and no (just work gloves) gloves in the summer. 5mm suit is fine for me all year round but a 7mm is great and warm to the point of being toasty. other folk use 7mm all year round. Different folk feel the cold to different degrees. We are all just different make up.

If you get on ok with the gear you have then thats great and will save you some money, but in real terms the cost of an off the peg suit is relatively cheap compared to the return in comfort and practicality. You can get one for less than some folk spend in a weekend on the toon! and historically mine have lasted for years.

........Trying to combine good conditions with time off and daylight seems to be the biggest challenge at this time of year. ....

Stick with it mucker! :D this is the crux with spearfishing! :) and the double edged sword. It is a pain in the ass but keeps casual numbers down as it is not a very successful buy the gear and go kind of hobby. I would never want to deny anyone the pleasure of spearfishing and snorkelling but I hope the likes of the popular middle shelf 'lads mags' never really get their claws into spearfishing. That paints a pretty disastrous picture for conscientious hunting! but again, the bad vis and bad weather tends to weed out the less determined to a fair degree I think ;)

good luck with the vis. Suprised its been so calm? Its been blowing a hoooooli out here! Let us know how you get on. Hoping to get in and do some reccy dives myself Redcar way over next couple of weeks. Family and weather permitting :)

Got a hood and gloves on the way back from work. As for the vis I'll just have to wait and see. The sea was nice and calm this evening whilst I was down at Denney Diving picking up the bits, winds remain forecast offshore tomorrow.

I'm after one of those metal torch clamps for your hand if you're heading in Duncan?

ok I'll ask. May sell me one he lent me if he doesn't have one in. would that do?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT