• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in north east England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ok (not that it'll improve ur luck) ....Cough cough....:D

anyway ttfn I've got to go earn a living.

Going to be heading out locally over next week i hope. Anyone close enough to give heads up on sea state anywhere between southshields and redcar?

Hi yeti, hows it hangin? Jersey is pretty crap at the mo so hope u r doing better than us. Lking fwd to meeting up again next year at the Guernsey " Fish in". If u make it as far as sunny Jersey I am sure we can arrange some fish chasing. Happy christmas

Cheers mike! Much merriment to all you fellas and families too! I got out the other night for a sniff around for creepy crawlies. Grant and i are popping over with families in tow for a couple of weeks so a spot of island hopping is already on the cards mucker! ;-) sooooo. looking forward to it!

.....me too. It's not long only another 209 sleeps to go :)

Last edited:
So I'm back up north over the Chrimbo period....anyone got in recently? Whats the forecast and more importantly is it worth me bringing my kit up? Had some lovely pollock and lobbies last time I was up and I'm sure the father in law would appreciate some fresh fish or crustacean if I can get him some....

I would say on the whole its sheeeite! no vis and like a washing machine. :waterwork

down tynemouth at the weekend, surf is great if your surfing...lol... but no good for us, no vis either due to fore-mentioned washing machine effect....

Thanks for the heads up - kit already packed in the car so its coming anyway... (gives me an excuse to get away from the in-laws for a bit too!!)

Happy Christmas!!

Anyone been out in anger this year? Seas been flat for a few days so the vis may be getting better. I'm on call and the tide isn't right for me this weekend at my spot near work :(

Too much on at the moment for me but will be heading out for a night dive week after next.

I just listed a GoPro HD Hero in the Buy/Sell section if anyone is interested.

(sorry to hijack thread)

How many here night dive on the NE coast?

What extra kit do you take? How do you rig any torches etc?

Any other advice?

Any other advice?

Hi Tim,

Princeten Tec LED shockwave torch will do you right - Imagine a portable sun.

My "rig" is exactly the same as my day time exploits however, I have never found myself actually diving at night so I can hold the torch in my left hand as there is no need to equalise.

If you are new to it, definitely go out a few more times during daylight so you are able to load your gun safely without being able to see anything.

Gun wise, get a closed muzzle and don't bother using a reel as they just over complicate things when you are starting out.

Enjoy

Dave

My gun has a closed muzzle and no reel, quite happy with it on my limited exploits so far. Looking forward to the vis clearing up, I've got cabin fever!

Reactions: DafyddRees

Any other advice?

I have an Xtar D06 with U2 LED, they say lasts for about 70 mins, but I have done a bucket test and got 3hrs plus.
http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/xtar-diving-torches/xtar-d06-led-diving-torch.html just one place that does the torches.
In the current water temperatures im lucky if i last 90 mins with my 5mm Cressi. I slip that inside a 'Best Divers Neoprene torch holder':https://www.divelife.co.uk/scuba-ma...s/6219/Best-Divers-Neoprene-Hand-Torch-Holder
Using this enables me to have one hand free so I can equalise with my torch hand. I also have a Mini Q40 attached to my mask so I have both hands free for when I want to kill my fish, I just switch this on when I have a kill by turning the head of the torch, there are halogen and LED types, this is from Underwater Kinetics, should find all of the above in Ebay or google. I would get the Xtar from a UK seller, this has a chargeable battery. My mate has a a Princeton(big blue thing that takes about 18 AA batteries i think)but now has an Xtar. Not knocking Princeton, but is a bit cumbersome for what he wants & we both put in dives at night that require us to equalise which he used to find problematic.

Some of the Dorset guys swear by pneumatic guns at night. I have a flashing night stick to illuminate my float, plus matey can see me. Also add some HI Viz DIAMOND GRADE white reflective tape which shows up really well when shining a torch on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuya
Hi Guys !!! Greetings to everybody from Italy !
I know it' s not exactly your area but maybe somebody can help me !
I' m looking for info about the area of Eyemouth, in the Scottish Border...
I will be there for a short period in August..
I wish to know if it is possible to spearfish there (since I feel naked if I have to dive without a speargun in my hand !!!)
I know there is a marine reserve in the area, but maybe out ot it there are some good spots...
So, do you think is worthy to take my gear with me ????
Thank you very much...

Hi Etruscan
You're correct that spearing certainly isn't encouraged within the reserve but it may be worth you looking at some other areas.

What time in August are you here?

Grant

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT