• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in north east England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Grantl ! I was planning to come from 7th to 17th august... Of course I' ve no intention at all to spearfish in the protected area (even if, I think I understood, it' s only a "voluntary" reserve and it's not forbidden "by law"), but I noticed the south coast of Eyemouth is outside the marine reserve... Simply I don' t know if it is worthy spearfishing there... I can' t go too far away from Edimburgh because my wife wants to visit the city, and I think it will take some days to me...
So, what do you suggest ? :confused:

Hi guys, I'm a marine photography student at Falmouth university and we do loads of spearing down in Cornwall but I've got to say, having lived near Alnwick for 20 years I've never speared up here!

I'm up for going spearing any time I can get away from work.

Drop me a line if you fancy going out.

Cheers

Had a brace of small pollock circa 4lb yesterday before driving to spot where I was guaranteed a flounder last summer however, none were to be seen! Last year flounder were a pretty solid quarry yet on my 3 dives in the NE this summer I have not seen any...

Absolutely stunning sunset yesterday overlooking Dunstanburgh Castle which resulted in me preferring to play in the sea with the dog followed by a pint. These evenings are pretty rare up here so it was a pleasure to behold.

PM if anyone fancies a dip this/next week.

Last edited:
hi guys im going out to Thornick bay or Cayton bay (in between Bridlington and Scarborough) most days next week if anyone fancy's coming out
charlie

Hello
i am looking to return to some spearfishing . i do have diving/free diving experience (on brake from about 9 years) but hope to return to sport.
all my spearfishing experience is in polish lakes and arround italy and croatia.
i am in Darlington so whitby etc is not to far.
can you drop some advice on what spear to go for and what suit.

i use a 90cm gun with a 107cm shaft and a 3mm wet suit
most of time in poland i did use 7mm

whats best time to go in
is it lowest tide and up any good.
is gun rubber band one or pneumatic better.

how about winter months spearfishing.

most of time in poland i did use 7mm

whats best time to go in
is it lowest tide and up any good.
is gun rubber band one or pneumatic better.

how about winter months spearfishing.

i'm only using a 3mm until i can save enough to get a thicker suit but it is fine for me at this time of year.
depending on where you are there can be some quite strong rip tides so i go out as the tides coming in but that's just me being cautious. it really depends on what depth you plan to dive (i stick to the shallows (10-15m) and as for pneumatic or rubber i'm not sure. i use a rubber but that's down to money again.

i am thinking to dive in runswick bay or whitby etc.
depth about 10-15 m when i will get my sea legs again.

Robin Hoods bay to Ravenscar (just south of Whitby) is a good gentle place to get back into the swing of things

how is winter time lets say from nov to feb.
on rare days when its calm is there a chance for good viz.
or is there any standart seson for spearfishing.

how is winter time lets say from nov to feb......

less than warm! :D

on rare days when its calm is there a chance for good viz......

rare good vis is great for confirming you are not missing much when the vis is cr@p! :D

..... is there any standart seson for spearfishing.

Yeah its cold and difficult all year round! :head

......Sorry! couldn't resist! :D

someone will be along with a sensible answer shortly I s'pose.....

less than warm! :D

As Yeti says it is less than warm in the depths of winter. Sometimes even slightly colder.

Saying that it is relative and being in 6deg water in the dark when air temp is -6 does kind of feel warm somehow......that is until you have to walk/crawl a few hundred metres to your car then you remember it's just stupidity and you promised yourself you weren't going to ever ever do that again:)

As Yeti says it is less than warm in the depths of winter. Sometimes even slightly colder.

Saying that it is relative and being in 6deg water in the dark when air temp is -6 does kind of feel warm somehow......that is until you have to walk/crawl a few hundred metres to your car then you remember it's just stupidity and you promised yourself you weren't going to ever ever do that again:)

Yep totally agreea
Back in the navy we did go under water jan or feb when temp. Was about -15 -20.
That was after you did cut ice. Then there was to blokes keeping cut open from freezing.

So there is no point starting earlier than end of feb.

Anyone spearfishing between Sunderland and Whitley bay or know of any spots to try around that area

Anyone spearfishing between Sunderland and Whitley bay or know of any spots to try around that area
Totaly green in any part of coast in UK but as soon as i will put gear togeather i will be happy to join in to do recon there.

I'm fishing a lot at local marks in South Shields but was wanting to go a little bit further afield looks good around st Mary's lighthouse and of the rocky ground behind Whitburn fireing range anyone any experience of these marks

K I'm heading down today redcar area if anyone fancies hooking up for a dive about 11ish.. txt me 07876794954 Dave

ad love to but am not home for another two weeks cant wait to get in the water put on a catch report when u get back

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT