• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in north east England

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
am up in aberdeen at the mo viz is ok but no kit with me hopefuly there will be some viz in two weeks when I get back home

had a go casting a weight yesterday, was aiming for 1kg but it came out at exactly 3lbs

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 255
I have never dived the east side, I live in Manchester and surf over that way pretty regular but tend to do most of my diving in north Wales nowadays. I would be up for a trip over if anyone needs a buddy I always thought the areas near flamborough a cloughton wike looked interesting...

Vis looking much better, flies everywhere though

Attachments

• 10371662_879434852072462_8525982432252186626_n.jpg
    10371662_879434852072462_8525982432252186626_n.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 10292141_879434908739123_8145329419606596544_n.jpg
    10292141_879434908739123_8145329419606596544_n.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 250
hi guys i've just got back up north (bridlington/scarborough area) and was wondering if anyone is near by to buddy with. ive completed my adia 2* and am a spearo at heart.
ps vis is a little cloudy at the mo but have high hopes for tomorrow will try and get a photo.

Got in at seaton sluice today, vis has dropped of a bit again, it was maybe 1.5-2 meters, didnt take my polespear in i just wanted to give my new fins a try

Lo all,

I went for a sheltered night dive last week and was shocked, and I mean shocked to find someone else in my favourite lobster spot! I had a mixture of feelings - excitement that there is potentially a dive buddy local to me but disappointed they had found my little treasure trove. However, the excitement soon evaporated when having waited for the gentleman to exit the water, I noticed the volume of minuscule lobsters he had taken! He had a catch bag full of 20-25 little beasties with only a couple of legal size bugs!

With a heavy Eastern european accent, he only understood my remonstrations when I chucked a handful of his catch back into the water which he was non too happy about! I don't know if he knew the rules and was being obtuse or he was completely ignorant of national law but he stalked off back to his van with the majority of his catch. I decided to head to the pub as to avoid being shanked in the night or having my car vandalised.

I had hoped it was an isolated matter but having a mid-revision peruse of youtube I noticed this video which is made relatively close to me. I don't recognise the gentleman in the video but it is pretty embarrassing seeing as though he is in a full spearo gear....

Last edited:
Reactions: winky
Verdict from last nights 45 minute soirée - castratingly cold. However, managed to scrounge 1 small but plump plaice in prime condition out of the sand but did not even pickup a whiff of a bug sadly! All in all, enjoyable first dive of the season!

Reactions: winky and Broseidon
Verdict from last nights 45 minute soirée - castratingly cold. However, managed to scrounge 1 small but plump plaice in prime condition out of the sand but did not even pickup a whiff of a bug sadly! All in all, enjoyable first dive of the season!

Hi,

I have recently moved to Durham from Wales and would like to get out in the Northumberland area.

Would be great to go out this weekend but I'm unsure what visibility is like up hear.

Any advice or a meet up would be great.

Hi,

I have recently moved to Durham from Wales and would like to get out in the Northumberland area.

Would be great to go out this weekend but I'm unsure what visibility is like up hear.

Any advice or a meet up would be great.

Hi Pete,

I was out on Friday night and managed a couple of lobster and some flounder between myself a friend. The visibility was surprisingly good consider the recent blows we have had! It tends to get stirred up pretty quickly in Northumberland so it is normally a safer bet to head further north towards the border if clear water is what you desire.

Without a doubt there is some good fishing to be had!

Let me know how you got on this weekend and maybe we can hook up in the near future.

Dave

Hi Guys just wondering whether any of you ever dive around the reefs between Saltburn and Whitby? I surf around there a fair bit and wondered if vis was any good after a couple if flat days?

Good to meet you Daffyd, pleased to hear you enjoyed our quiet little spot. Quite a surprise to see other spearos there :)

Enjoyed the vid Daffyd. I grew up on the north east coast (Blyth) and used to catch a few cod with rod and line. In summer they'd be from the rock edges. Do you ever see any in the kelps???

Reactions: DafyddRees
I joined Daf for his dive on Saturday, nice conditions, quite a few fish about. I ended up with three pollack, the largest up to 4lbs and a mackerel.

Sorry I missed you Grant, I was still in the water when you got in.

Attachments

• Saturday_Catch.jpg
    Saturday_Catch.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: DafyddRees
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT