Wednesday, December 19, 2018
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in the Chicago area?

Cips

Jul 19, 2018
Steger IL
Hello, I'm located in the south suburbs of Chicago and was wondering where are some good places to go spearfishing? Any lakes or rivers in that area I could go without any hassle?

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Sunny Britain
Cips, I seem to recall some folk on the forum spearing at Devil's Lake, WI. Forum member Fondueset used to dive in L. Michigan, not sure if he speared or just freedived for fun there. It certainly has fish. I'll move this thread to the regional area of the forum to better find members in your area and leave a temporary link in the beginner area.

There are quite a few Lakes around Illinois/Wisconsin (I used to do triathlons in the area, so swam in many of them) & probably Indiana too, check local regulations.

OP
OP
Cips

Cips

Jul 19, 2018
Steger IL
Thanks for your help, I've contacted some park rangers about legal locations but they all seem to frown upon the idea of a speargun so I've found little information on the subject. Thanks again