• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in the Chicago area?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cips

Jul 19, 2018
Hello, I'm located in the south suburbs of Chicago and was wondering where are some good places to go spearfishing? Any lakes or rivers in that area I could go without any hassle?

Cips, I seem to recall some folk on the forum spearing at Devil's Lake, WI. Forum member Fondueset used to dive in L. Michigan, not sure if he speared or just freedived for fun there. It certainly has fish. I'll move this thread to the regional area of the forum to better find members in your area and leave a temporary link in the beginner area.

There are quite a few Lakes around Illinois/Wisconsin (I used to do triathlons in the area, so swam in many of them) & probably Indiana too, check local regulations.

Thanks for your help, I've contacted some park rangers about legal locations but they all seem to frown upon the idea of a speargun so I've found little information on the subject. Thanks again

You might find it interesting to Google: "Is spearfishing legal in Michigan?"

e.g. In Michigan state: " It shall be unlawful to use a rubber-propelled spear or a spring- propelled spear without being submerged and have the spear under control by means of an attached line not exceeding 20 feet in length. It is unlawful to spear any fish in a waterbody closed to fishing, except as noted in the spearing exceptions list. "

Also, take a look at this: "
Fish and Risks: Eating Lake Michigan Catch
By Chris Bentley "

https://www.wbez.org/stories/fish-a...an-catch/8e8272f7-4574-4730-9002-86a131115c64

big%20fish%20graphic%202.png

Salmon and trout :)

You might find it interesting to Google: "Is spearfishing legal in Michigan?"

e.g. In Michigan state: " It shall be unlawful to use a rubber-propelled spear or a spring- propelled spear without being submerged and have the spear under control by means of an attached line not exceeding 20 feet in length. It is unlawful to spear any fish in a waterbody closed to fishing, except as noted in the spearing exceptions list. "

Also, take a look at this: "
Fish and Risks: Eating Lake Michigan Catch
By Chris Bentley "

https://www.wbez.org/stories/fish-a...an-catch/8e8272f7-4574-4730-9002-86a131115c64

big%20fish%20graphic%202.png

Salmon and trout (y)

I did see that, but lake michigan is not only in Michigan. In illinois there is a list of species that its legal to take by spear.

Yes, I figure each state will have its own rules but interesting and unusual that Michigan has something quite specific but also quite balanced.

Yes, I figure each state will have its own rules but interesting and unusual that Michigan has something quite specific but also quite balanced.

well it seems that these are the allowed species in Illinois " Carp, catfish, buffalo, suckers, gar, shad, drum, bowfin" - I wonder if any of that is safe to eat, or even edible at all

Buffalo?! Several of those species are normally edible - but out of the Chicago/Gary end of the lake you'll want scientific guidance like that provided by Michigan.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT