• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing photography

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
"I am assuming these are the results of excellent camera skills but also photoshop / edit software skills?"

PAV,
I Do not use photoshop. For my post editing I use apples aperature. The only things I change are WB, saturations, and I will clean the image of snow.

Went to the Same location(st. Pedro wreck) on saturday, Despite the horrible weather we had the water conditions where good. I was able to get Some good shots of the Submarine.

Critiques always welcome and apreciated.

Reactions: Wishbone
Amazing pictures! Especially the b&w!! Great shots!
I'm collecting money for a new camera, this time DSLR I think I'll go for Canon 50D..

Wow ... even my home pool doesn't have water so clear :t

With regards to cameras, I would highly recommend the Canon G11 if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Although I have only tried the G9, I was super impressed with it. The G11 would add a few things that would have been helpful in the G9, most notably what looks like at least 2 stops better with ISO sensitivity. I find that underwater you quickly lose light with depth, and to get crisp clear pictures you need a pretty fast shutter speed. The only way to do that is by increasing your ISO. I recently bought a Canon 5D II, and of course the ISO performance with that is ridiculous. I tried ISO 3200 and it is very usable ... with the G11 (with its 2 stops better ISO sensitivity than the G9) I have a hard time getting equivalent performance at ISO 400. However I would need to be on an empty stomach before I would go in the water with that, even with the best housing.

I've heard a lot of good words about the G series but still it is just compact camera.
I'm using Olympus ultrazoom compact and I think this is the right time to buy DSLR, definietely Canon..50D i think..image quality, ISO range..and the most important different lenses to choose..
The camera isn't so expensive..the price of housing is killing me;/

no-blacks-039.jpg
P1010930.jpg
P1020323.jpg
P1040079.jpg
big-black-day-137.jpg

Couple more fishes, would love to drop the money are a dslr camera but just can't justify it

black-grouper-spearfishing.jpg

big-black-day-115.jpg

big-black-day-151.jpg

andy-cobia-070.jpg

Reactions: nostres
Resurrecting an old thread. I didn't know this was here.

I envy you guys with clear water. Great photos.

Here are a few from last year. My favorite is the last one. By every measure in photography it's a poor picture, but it typifies spearfishing for white seabass. They love dark, murky water, and a fleeting silhouette is often all we get before they disappear, which is why we often refer to them as ghosts.

1 & 2: A pair of Giant Seabass tried to steal a speared yellowtail
3: A pair of yellowtail on the Pacific side of Baja.
4: A school of white seabass
5: A ghost in the murk.

Attachments

• CRW_8047 small.jpg
    CRW_8047 small.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 178
  • CRW_8074 small.jpg
    CRW_8074 small.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 170
  • CRW_8272 small.jpg
    CRW_8272 small.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 167
  • CRW_8309small.jpg
    CRW_8309small.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 162
  • CRW_7914 small.jpg
    CRW_7914 small.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: Don Paul
Nice fishes, try adding some contrast to them, they'll look much better (colors will be more vivid)

Yeah, they look much better when I view them in Photoshop. Anything I put on the web washes out.

For me the 2nd one, but it could be a bit wider on the right side.

More fantastic shots, thanks for putting them on the forum even if they are a tad big.

Great pics. love the underwater photography. we bought a housing for our little digital compact and it takes great pics. really pleasantly surprised how good it does.
Pic 1 taken from about 6m, pic 2 some old wives in shallow water, pic 3 is a Western rock lobster and pic 4 is a Samson fish, a member of the Seriola family.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: devondave
Great pics. love the underwater photography. we bought a housing for our little digital compact and it takes great pics. really pleasantly surprised how good it does.
Pic 1 taken from about 6m, pic 2 some old wives in shallow water, pic 3 is a Western rock lobster and pic 4 is a Samson fish, a member of the Seriola family.
Nice pics

even better viz u got there, where u diving?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT