• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing rides

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
here is my 1974 mako 17ft, i bought it last year and spent all year working on it , now the motor has gone bad from sitting. bad compression on one cylinder. i am looking at a 135 mercury 2002 for 2500$ on payments, so if that works out, i will be out on the water in 8 nweeks or so. gas tank is leaking all of a sudden, so i will have to take out console AGAIN!! suxx. but as you can see everything is new. everything. all i need is a leaning post and a bimini top, and it is all new. deck is rock solid!! old mako's are really good boats. especially for the keys,(we have alot of shallow flats here, plus reefs, etc. , so this is versatile for here. it looks pretty sitting there ... SOON>>>>

Attachments

• boat pics 004.jpg
    boat pics 004.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 197
  • boat pics 002.jpg
    boat pics 002.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 204
  • boat pics 003.jpg
    boat pics 003.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 204
  • boat pics 005.jpg
    boat pics 005.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 197
  • boat pics 006.jpg
    boat pics 006.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 200
my other boat. we go to the reef in seconds.....

Attachments

• Picture 205.jpg
    Picture 205.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 206
Is that the big race up by Sarasota? Or is that down south there?

key west every november. the helicopters are almost as coolas the boats! the super cat unlimited class is insane!! the budweiser select boat is nuts!

ahaha ! :naughty If the whole thing won't come out then I wont post it ! I ride on a 21 CC SeaCraft with a 200hp black max mounted on a jack plate! :mad:

Actually man! :naughty I don't know that specif Marina at all. I only been out of it once when I was like 15yrs old. My specialties are Black Point & homestead. :martial

All my cushions are being done as we speak ! and so is the t-top! & my windshield as well.

Attachments

• CIMG0754.JPG
    CIMG0754.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Tone,
how does that work for spearing? i would imagine it would be quite challenging to carry 2 spearos with gear and fish, do you tow a trailer of some sort for that?

That looks like a American import two stroke 1200cc job? we dont get them over here we get the 1000cc four stroke but i might be wrong?
Anyhow they are in fact quite big at around 3.6mt & extremely fast !
One of those heading your way at 65mph when you are diving in a bay with only your head visible is about as scary as it gets - I have been there!
I have often wondered how suitable a jet ski would be? Some good points like shallow water accessibility & of course no propeller to hack your hands off.

those things are great,(jet ski) especially for lobstering in 'the lakes', you can run through skinny water no problem with that.HUGE advantage for the keys. jet boats are really good to have also. probably works great to tow a diver with minimal wake too. my buddies from the"FURY" take out the skis and hit the towers just inside the shipping channel. cobia, sometimes.,(i never see any though, but that is the rumor)ever have any gear fly off on route? that seems like it could be a prob.

If all goes well the H.M.S. Crash and Burn will be by the sea tomorrow.
I’ll try and take a few picts just for a laugh.
As for my crew what can I say, "who’s your daddy"roflrofl

Sorry guys the British weather strikes again going to be another week before I can get mine down to the sea.:head:head
There’s some mighty fine rides on here, makes my little thing seem almost non-existing but for me it’ll do just fine.:)

jtkwest that mako is sweet, I almost bought an 87 hull with a 98 yamaha in great condition... but passed up on the deal since funding wasn't where it needed to be :head

ahaha ! :naughty If the whole thing won't come out then I wont post it ! I ride on a 21 CC SeaCraft with a 200hp black max mounted on a jack plate! :mad:

Actually man! :naughty I don't know that specif Marina at all. I only been out of it once when I was like 15yrs old. My specialties are Black Point & homestead. :martial

All my cushions are being done as we speak ! and so is the t-top! & my windshield as well.

Armando thats a sweet ride man, gunna be even better with the new cushions, t-top etc..... lets go nail some fish one of these days or if you want you can tag along with skimfish and I on his butt breaker with no cushions lol. Over the spring/summer we wana get into some blue water action if your game.

BTW the marina is in Key Biscayne *Sundays Marina* it would tough to tell if you never launch there.... I'm a bit familiar with Black Point but not homestead :confused:. Some good stuff down south huh :t

Tone,
how does that work for spearing? i would imagine it would be quite challenging to carry 2 spearos with gear and fish, do you tow a trailer of some sort for that?

That looks like a American import two stroke 1200cc job? we dont get them over here we get the 1000cc four stroke but i might be wrong?
Anyhow they are in fact quite big at around 3.6mt & extremely fast !
One of those heading your way at 65mph when you are diving in a bay with only your head visible is about as scary as it gets - I have been there!
I have often wondered how suitable a jet ski would be? Some good points like shallow water accessibility & of course no propeller to hack your hands off.

So far I'm real happy with the "Run&Gun" definitely need to get accustumed to this method of "boating", but so far its worked out incredibly smooth. I've been tinkering around with a few ideas to carry the gear on board all have failed other than the 2 custom dive bags I made, which fit securely even at 60mph. This is a cool set up http://www.kiwiskidevelopment.com/de...p?nc=2510&id=1, but drilling the haul voids the warranty...I tried a dinghy I have lying around, but beyond 30mph its worthless, a tow sled Water Rescue Sleds, Rescue Boards, Rescue Sleds, Tow In Surfing, Foil Boarding, Swift Water Rescue Board, River Boards, Sledging, Hydrospeed, Aquanaut, NEV, Personal Watercraft Accessories, Water Rescue Sleds, Rescue Boards, Rescue Sleds, Tow In Surfing, Foil Boarding, Swift Water Rescue Board, River Boards, Sledging, Hydrospeed, Aquanaut, NEV, Personal Watercraft Accessoriesis the way to go but they are $800 and up so before spilling that amount of flow, Im gonna try a few other DIY (of course), the main use for the sled would be to secure a BIG cooler, the PWC brings storage up front that serves as a nice size cooler, but you know if you think big...you get big.
Went out this Friday the weather turned from 2's to 4-5's we headed in at around 40mph and all was said&done in 10 min. I've gone out with another spearo everytime and it has worked out perfect. Its a breeze to trailer, put in&take out, if it flips over it flips back, we drop in, hunt, jump back on and hit another spot in a wink, we've also drifted holding on to the load bar, washes up easy...and the best part $60 to fill, 100 miles to enjoy...I really thought long and hard whether to get a boat or PWC (I've always thought very low of the typical PWC owners:rcard), but up to now this thing has been a fish getting, chickee plucking, wake boarding, sandbar lounging water machinerofl

4 stroke, 4 cylinder, 1800 cc, hits 70 on a dime, has a carbon/glass body, holds about 19 gal fuel, tilt steering and reverse and 5 year "bumper-bumper" warranty

Last edited:
Oh I guided my self by the ramp floor it's different from other marinas. Honestly, I prefer the marinas down south better. They are way bigger than the rest I been 2 even though the Black point 1 is like a mile of chan before you even get to break water. :headBut hey I always cut @ mile marker 17. + It's a straight shot to all Elliot where all the fishing takes places.

Yeah man I don't mind ! never tried blue water but I'm down only this is I don't have my gun set ^ for blue water, might need some float line & floats. I'll tie that sh*t to my boat & will see who pulls what ! rofl

Armando thats a sweet ride man, gunna be even better with the new cushions, t-top etc..... lets go nail some fish one of these days or if you want you can tag along with skimfish and I on his butt breaker with no cushions lol. Over the spring/summer we wana get into some blue water action if your game.

BTW the marina is in Key Biscayne *Sundays Marina* it would tough to tell if you never launch there.... I'm a bit familiar with Black Point but not homestead :confused:. Some good stuff down south huh :t

Here is my ride in Alaska, I was going to name it Dr. Strangelove (can't get that movie out of my head), but my wife had a fit, so the tin can is called apneia (apnea in portuguese). Currently under a foot of snow.

View attachment 18116

Last edited:
Yes

It is, I would much rather have a fiber glass boat, but in Alaska, with all the snow, all the fiberglass boats get really wasted since water will expand when it freezes.

Your ride looks really good too.

As I've mention right now the boat is under a foot of snow !

i would imagine you get pretty rough seas out there..so was surprized to see an alu. boat.. i guess its not all like the discovery channel series, deadliest catch :)

Yes it does get rough, we normally fish inside resurection bay or prince willian sound, but hewescraft is all welded, and filled with floatation foam.
Also to be able to dive I need to drive from Anchorage to Seward one way is around 150 miles !
I think a fiberglass boat would be heavier and more difficult to tow, but would give a better ride in the water.

Tomorrow I will try to post my ride in Brazil, it is the best boat there is, it is a boat of a friend no mine !

Let me ping you again about the Mr. Carbon, does it float without the shaft ?

yes it does, but lets keep this thread about boats ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT