• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing with kayak

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

how do you go spearfishing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ocean have plenty of really sweet designs and somehow he seems more popular... go for it!!!

I never seen a john dory before NZ, as you say they seem to live deep. In here I've seen two species, the one on the pictures that is pretty common (not always as big, 2 lbs in average), and another completely silver that lives deep and I've only see on the shops.

Pablo
The silver dory that you see in the shops is probably a lookdown dory , you are right caught in deeper waters, but just as tasty as the John Dory

I started diving abalone from an Ocean Kayak "Scrambler" in 1993. Graduated to a "Scupper Pro" in 1997. My wife uses a Necky "Dolphin". We think that it is a great way to go as long as you don't get caught down wind of home if it's blowing very hard at all.

Found this site to be helpful with ideas around kayak diving: http://www.kayakdiving.com/

I like my Scupper Pro a lot for 1-mile paddles to the DE breakwater. For taking one of the kids out to spearfish with me I like the OK Zest Two. It's faster and very stable with two paddlers, but it is truly a pig to load onto the car and drag up sand hills, even with the rollez wheels.

I'd almost rather just have two Scupper Pros, except the littler kids like to all load up on the Zest II for river trips or for surfing the thing. It's time for the big kids to buy their own. :hmm

Mark

PS: Calico, you spearfish in NC? Got a marina, maybe?

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my Yak and, of course, some dead fish

Attachments

• 2nd wsb kayak resize.jpg
    2nd wsb kayak resize.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
My Yak came with a set of rod holders installed, so I have the option of just going fishing if I want (I do, from time to time, If I want to go out with my non spearing buddys or the vis sucks) I have a fish finder rigged up for it, but ussualy dont use it, because it has issues when it gets salt water on it. I carry a handheld VHF and a GPS with me, so im coverd in case of fog or accident. My fins, guns, suit top, floatline and other odds and ends and "victims" go in the front hatch. My weight belt either gets strapped into the webbing in the rear of the boat, or put in the center hatch. Mask, snorkel and gloves get put in the seat compartment. With all this stuff, the boat is a pain in the a$$ to drag down the beach for launching, but it is very stable and is a good dive platform. It allows me to get to the outer edge of most of the kelp in san diego,along with all my gear, drinking water, a snack, and a couple beers for the paddle in. It is very cool for an all day excursion, but to much effort for a quick after work dive. Very pleased with it overall.

Attachments

• resize cudayak.jpg
    resize cudayak.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 194
Well , An opportunity I couldn't pass up cam along and I have just ordered an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro in Red/yellow, +paddle +backrest.
the whole thing came to a very reasonable €722 delivered which I felt was a good deal.
Now all I need is some Roofracks.
Report to follow.

Huan

It cost a bit more but if you get a rack set up that keeps the kayak upright it will keep the salt water from driping out of the kayak and onto your car. just my 2 cent. I have a red scupper pro tw and cant be more happy with it except for having to drag it up the beach. The thing feels like a ton after diving. I really like the storage and the fact that I can carry a soft cooler and water to drink. It does get a bit slow when I have it loaded up though. Have fun getting back into the kayak.
I don't have a problem getting in but my cousin seems to flip himself over atleast once a dive. I cant stop laughing when ever he tries to get back in. Once he flip him self over 7 time in a row while trying to get back in. I think it is just him though. Make sure you have every thing tied down or cliped on. I don't know what the surf is like where you dive but here in Hawaii you have to expect to flip over and you don't want to loose your gear so tie every thing down. Dive safe and watch out for the high winds.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT