• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun, conversion kit? Traditional twin band vs roller

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

yulichenlu

Sep 23, 2020
Hello guys! I recently got my 110 speargun ' beuchat hero 110 railgun, set up with twin x16. However I am thinking if it is not strong enough....I want further range.
However I dont understand why roller would outperform twin band (or does it?)

I can change it into invert twin band or a normal twin band.
Please let me know which is better.

Hello guys! I recently got my 110 speargun ' beuchat hero 110 railgun, set up with twin x16. However I am thinking if it is not strong enough....I want further range.
However I dont understand why roller would outperform twin band (or does it?)

I can change it into invert twin band or a normal twin band.
Please let me know which is better.
To me the greater benefit is reduction in recoil in going to a roller setup (classic or invert). The power you can put into a shaft will be limited to the shafts properties. At some point it will stop shooting accurate since the shaft will be reaching terminal velocity and start whipping and bending during the shot. You can definitely make a classic two-band setup powerful enough to reach this point. Same with any of the rollers.
Range is only as good as your aim and control of recoil. That may boil down to how you hold the gun or how the gun is made (made of wood, ballasting, etc).

Each setup has it's pros and cons and it depends on what you're willing to work with in order to achieve the performance you're after. Low recoil, fast reloading, great line of sight, setup simplicity, etc. Not one setup can claim the best in all.

Reactions: camposartu
To me the greater benefit is reduction in recoil in going to a roller setup (classic or invert). The power you can put into a shaft will be limited to the shafts properties. At some point it will stop shooting accurate since the shaft will be reaching terminal velocity and start whipping and bending during the shot. You can definitely make a classic two-band setup powerful enough to reach this point. Same with any of the rollers.
Range is only as good as your aim and control of recoil. That may boil down to how you hold the gun or how the gun is made (made of wood, ballasting, etc).

Each setup has it's pros and cons and it depends on what you're willing to work with in order to achieve the performance you're after. Low recoil, fast reloading, great line of sight, setup simplicity, etc. Not one setup can claim the best in all.
I've converted three guns to rollers now; a 110, 100, and 90. The 100 is now an inverted roller with three sets of bands and a 7.5mm spear. It is quiet and has very little recoil. Loving it for shots of 15-20 feet. My 90 is a normal roller, and one nice thing is there is just one loading movement, not two. The spear is 6.75mm and it is lightning fast, again with very little recoil. I used to have three 14mm bands on the 10mm gun in normal configuration, but would occasionally hurt my wrist (I'm not as young as I used to be). Any of my buddies who have traded guns with me temporarily have loved them. If I only had one gun, it would be the 90 roller.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT