• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun project

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yep perhaps a more complex laminate design and a bit more experience with timber carving / a little more patience would make all the difference, you're right :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: foxfish
Looks really nice. Well done! You can drill and fill with balsa wood and seal with epoxy to balance the gun if needed..
Jégwan

Great looking gun!

The power of a 120mm+, but with the visibility requirements and agility of a 60!

If you get a shaft with a "helper tab" 3/4 of the way up the shaft, you can use it for hole hunting!

Thanks man :) yeah overall that gun there is about 1.6m of band room. From memory I made the rubber about 500mm so should have plenty of grunt. What's a helper tab? :) I googled it and can't find it anywhere

AKA helper tab.

It's another shark fin that is closer to the front of the shaft for easier, multi-staged loading.

Might be really useful on a roller gun... Just have to make sure that the fins near the butt of the shaft don't impede the shaft by getting hung up on the wishbone.

It will help in loading up fully... And can help to de-power the gun for a hole shot into a cave / on rocks.

Took the new gun out on the weekend, and was a success. Few minor hiccups though. The bungee sometimes get snagged up on the bottom portion of the rubber so I think I'll have to re route my shooting line somehow.

The gun is balanced pretty well, although it's a bit large around the bore to hold on to when swimming / not holding onto the handle. So I'd like to trim it up a bit. If I do trim it it's only going to get heavier in the water though. What does everyone use to add buoyancy besides more timber ?

Shot straight!!! I took out the camera and played it back in slow motion when I got home. At both settings there is a slight kick of the muzzle in a downwards direction but only once the spear leaves the muzzle. :)

As long as the spear shoots out straight, you're good. Normally the muzzle lifts, not descends haha. Well done

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Only 300% ? Wow. What is the barrel length (from trigger to rollers)? And have you tested what ranhe you're shooting?

First fin to roller is 970 on top then roller to tab on bottom Is 600. So all up 1570. Rubbers are 490mm cut.

It's got 2 wraps and then back to the mech for a breakaway so approx 5 - 6 meters. There's no fall off at all that I can tell. There wasn't too many fish around so I was lining up other things in the water hard to tell

How exactly did you get the bamd stretch? 49cm band length for 97cm would be over 380%

I wont argue with you but thats not how you would calculate band length on a roller. Alemanni & Seawulf told me to measure from tab to rollers which in your case is 97cm. So 97cm × 2 then divide by 3 (300%). Then pre stretch the bands at the bottom by 5%. Then have tabs for your desired stretch. 340% 360% etc. Im also adding a tab close to the rollers at the bottom for easy loading at the top. So its pretty much load top, load bottom

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT