• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun Shooting Tests

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
shaneshac said:
Hey Rig,
I am looking for the more natural shot and close grouping. I will deem a gun you can shoot straight out of the box, more accurate than a gun you have to take 10 shots with to make heads or tails of where the spear is going.
Shane
Thats my point...you dont use "natural aiming," you will aim depending on whatever gun you have been shooting prior. Everybody has a "biased style" so it will be hard to rank the guns IMHO. Better than no results though :)

To counter this i will ask 5 spearos to shoot all the guns in sequence.

One shot on each and then repeat 5 times. This will not allow the spearo to get used to any particular gun and aim naturally.

If on all five shots the same spearo shoots high but hits the same spot all the time, we can say that the gun shoots straight although the spearo is aiming high.

If on the other hand all shots are fired to different parts of the target, we can say the gun is inaccurate

Rig/Shane
How many mid-handles are you planning on testing ?

I think I am right in guessing that all the guns will be based on a basic design (rear handled Euro).

Therefore the test should be pretty relevant. Sure it would be hard to compare a tuna plank to a bass 'wand' - but I think that they are all of the same basic design and therefore of the same basic class ?!

Ed

Shane I think a good objective test would be to compare the dispersion of say five shots from one gun against the dispersion of another gun but comparing the successive shots of all 5 guns with relation to the target might not be so objective.

You can eliminate the human error factor from your experiment if you make a cement/lead base with vice-like brackets that will hold the gun in a fixed position.

That will give an accurate reference point. The ideally accurate speargun is one that in a fixed position can shoot the spear every time repeatedly in the same place/hole. So a target when using this method is not necessary. The gun fired from a fixed position that has the closest grouping of shots will be the most accurate.

Nikos

Ntrik,

If he fixes guns that he will eliminate all properties whichs makes guns accurate. Fixed gun will not have recoil anyway so theoretically both 1kg 90cm gun and 2kg 90 cm gun will shoot the same regardless of the weight shape and design...

Murat

Ive seen it done before in a Spearing Show where the manufacturers of a gun (Balco)wanted to prove its accuracy by exhibiting the close grouping of the shots. They used a fresh water tank and a fixed base with 2 brackets on which they mounted the speargun to take shots. The results from this test were published in some magazines causing alot of discussion and other gun brands were reputedly making similar tests at that time. This was in 1993-4.

such test is totally non-sense.

Major problem which cause the poor accuracy is RECOIL, if you eliminate it by fixing gun, how can you measure gun's accuracy?

I agree entirely with murat.

A gun has to be able to cope with recoil. That is 90% of the accuracy right there.

Think about a gun with say 15 bands :O

If you clamp it, the accuracy will be there. But try hitting a fish with it rofl

Thanks for the ideas though

Shane

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT