• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/Clarity reports - S.E. Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I saw a few 16+ inchers- but didn't have my gun then- was letting "Kevincook" use it. There are still a LOT of big 14+ Perch- I never left the southeast corner. Just kept diving down - big Schools of Perch.

Going to Lake Michigan - KENOSHA on Tuesday- plan on being there at 10am. (ish) with TASS and a couple Spectators. (fish limit purposes) If you want to go, see you there. UNIRDNA- if you want to go call me, I'm leaving Deforest area around 8am.

Without the db network, I would still be in the stone-ages of diving (if not dead from a blackout). Coming to palloza, and picking the brains of experienced divers will benefit beginners more than they would think possible.

How true this is...the first day I signed up for "spearfishing.com" was pinggenes last day...he found me, and shot me a pm...I eventually came here...and that has made all the difference. I would still be diving with a scuba mask, a JBL, and no fins if it wasnt for that email...

Went to Lake Michigan - Today with KevinCook. The vis was pretty bad- about 6-10 feet. Which oddly enough I think helped. The fish had to be a lot closer to see me- which is too late for them. We both got our limit of Perch- In about 2.5 hours. It was a good day for spearing - minus the poor vis.

Not sure about the regs on this year, but I do remember something in the past about perch not being open until the 16th of august? Did this change? We found the best perch hot spot ever up in door county, and I told winks not to take a shot on the biggest perch weve ever seen (it had a hook AND leader still on its lip...) because of that...oh well. There will be more dives. The weather has been terrible up here however, and now has taken a turn for the worse. (Hard to imagine with the temperatures being in the high 40's but its true...) :D

Fleshy- I will have to check- But, I'm about 99% sure the Perch Season opened on June 6th or some where around that day.

Not sure about the regs on this year,We found the best perch hot spot ever up in door county, and I told winks not to take a shot on the biggest perch weve ever seen (it had a hook AND leader still on its lip...)

Wow kinda pissed now flesh.....

Hey there everyone
I would like to go spearing Saturday the 22 in the South East up to just above of Milwaukee. I haven't dove Lake Michigan yet so thats always a definitely possibility with me but would like to partner up with some one.

Can any one fill me in on some places to go around the Milwaukee area for next weekend? The brown water I have been reading about is that primarily when there is an East wind? What about rain, how does that tend to imapact water clarity?

As far as lake Michigan goes. There is the break wall by SOUTH SHORE YACHT CLUB. Otherwise, Lake Geneva isn't far and is usually pretty good. I go in at Fontana Bay side or Lin Pier. Or is it Lynn Pier? Lake Michigan should be good from anywhere there is access, look for a Park that boarders the lake and look for breakwalls for fish.

Thanks for advice Scott. Still hoping to entice someone into going so What would you do for a Klondike bar?? LOL

Lake Geveva & Kenosh Aug 22 report

Met up with Kevincook at Lake Geneva about 9:30 in water by 10:00. 12 foot visibility off Lynn drive ( south side of lake) with wing blowing into the shore pretty good chop going on. Air Temp was in the 60s so heavy held off till about noon. Went east of entry point hunting around docks. Saw some small perch and sunfish but not else for first hour and a half. About 6 docks over started running into a lot of huge large mouth. Was not uncommon to see 6 or seven at a time. about 8,9,10 had a lot of rock bass and we harvested 15 or so.

about 3 1/2 hours later started heading in and visibility dropped to about 8 to 10 a lot of boat action on other side of bouys. Vladis tried deeper water out near the bouys earlier on in the dive to no avail.

We got out had a bite and decided to head to Kenosh around the Yaht club but with south westerly winds clarity was pretty bad so we called it a day.

Would post pictures but haven't figured out how to do it other then publish in gallery and then link. will try and work on how to post picture diretly when I can scrap together more then 30 minutes at a time.

Wheres that darn spell check button

Introduction to the Lake Geneva has been an enjoyable and successful enough.

Attachments

• DSCN1762.jpg
    DSCN1762.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 235
Went to Lake Geneva with Kevincook today.
Viz is unbelievable for this time of the year- at least 20.
temp. was 70 .
A lot of rock bass but that's it.

Kevincook was the visibility better then when we went? Did you go to the same place and if so did you go the the right or left and try a new little section?

Does anyone have any suggestions on places for this time of year?

How common is it for the lakes to have a fall turn over? or is this mainly a spring thing?

What is the best wind direction for tempeture conditions on Lake Michigan?

What is the best wind conditions for visibility on the lake|?

I want to come up and hunt the third week of September (the 19th & 20th ) and then again on the weekend of October 3rd.& 4TH.

I'm not sure slimsteve.
Visibility was a little better, although maybe the same. We were in the same spot only we were going in both directions (right and left).
Met Kalin (thanks for Whopperhead).
We wanted to find some carp but unfortunately dreams remained dreams.
Would be very nice if someone tell their opinion about where it is hiding
carp on this time of year in Lake Geneva.
Again shot similar numbers of rock baas and pair of 9 inch yellow perch.

Attachments

• IMG_5694.jpg
    IMG_5694.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 207
id be interested in finding a clear creek or tributary that flows into the mississippi river. there is some small trout streams closs to the twin cities, but they are a tad shallow, to draw in more than afew smaller sized fish. still fun to do. im sure there are larger streams that are more interesting. apparently blue earth river is somewhat clear(so minnesota river) but it has fecal coloform bactiria problems.(and pca warns not to swim).

any ways i freedive lake minnetonka and vis is low overall, but the back bays will clear up mid week if the wind slows down. we just got a half decient musky video yesterday.it did ciricles around us. this has happpened several times before. water is chilling down ,and muskys are common now in the shallows. some in the 40lb range.

anyways take a look at the vid. its amature but still fun.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzRC-IGwwL4&feature=channel]YouTube - Musky swims circles around freediver Lake minnetonka quest for monster musky[/ame]

this is also a good video of the missippi river.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tIxAsHnTKY&feature=channel]YouTube - Minnesota's river underwater tons of fish freediving snorkeling[/ame]

check out my other videos all posted this last week.i think if you right click on the youtube picture link, it will give you an option to open in new window(Watch on youtube link) if you do that it will give you option of seeing "more From"videos. ive got several half interesting ones posted, and atleast another 50 to load that take me forever to load with my slow conection. enjoy.

Great vis and tons of fish. wish i was there...what are the regs as far as spearing in minnesota?

Went to Lake Geneva today with Kevincook...Water was very clear(at least 20') and 63 F.....We saw a lot of fish ..Northern Pike. Huge Large mouth, Walleyes..etc..Kevincook told me he saw a carp but missed..I saw no carp at all...I have to stop to shoot to rock bass..They smell bad...The bad thing from today---Kevincook flooded his camera

How did his camera flood ( and yes, I know it filled with water- duh) But was it not sealed all the way? a crack? so...............no pics?

I just forgot to close properly housing and didn't check before jumped in the water. Rush because Kalin was already in water :D.

Attachments

• DSCN1810.jpg
    DSCN1810.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: Whopperhead
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT