• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo attacked by a GW shark in Croatia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
Hmm, strangely this news is almost impossible to find on the net and at news agencies, but it is often so at shark attacks in the Mediterranean - the governments are afraid of panic and loss of incomes from tourism, so they prefer not speaking about it.

I only found some brief comments in English on the net, some Czech articles, and a one from a Croatian news agency in Serbo-Croatian.

The articles tell that the Slovenian spearo Damjan Pecek was attacked by a Great White Shark near the island Vis. He was spearing just 10m from the shore when attacked. He was severely injured on a leg, but managed to escape after using his spear gun.

The reports differ as of the size of the shark - some tell 3m, others 4-5m. However, several teeth were removed from the leg of the diver, so I guess a more precise size estimation may be possible.

There is also a video on the Croatian website.
77f690e5c1.jpg

Ronioca napao morski pas​
HRT: Ronioca napao morski pas
NewsBrief
Slovinského potápìèe napadl na Jadranu lidožravý žralok - iDNES.cz

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
I do not think there has been any intentional cover up of the story, I have seen it all over Crioatian news.

He had 5kg "gof" (Croatian name for the fish) on stringer at his belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the word "attack" - i am sure the shark was lurking around for days waiting for an unsuspecting spearo ;)

Well, I think the word attack is right in place here. Finally it was not a traffic accident. Whether the attack was provoked or not, that's another question. And since shark attacks on spearos are usually considered provoked, it won't even appear in the ISAF statistics of shark attacks that only includes unprovoked ones.

I see that in the newsbot report the shark was 20' long but only weighed 500lb - that must of been one hungry shark?

I see that in the newsbot report the shark was 20' long but only weighed 500lb - that must of been one hungry shark?
Some reports tell 3m (~9 feet), others 4-5 m. However, both spearos and journalists tend to exaggerate, so perhaps he had just a meter or two.

They found couple of teeth in spearo’s leg. Local expert confirmed it was GW and estimated it’s lenght not to 5m , but down to approximately 3.5m.

The spearo was treated in pressure chamber so the wounds would heal quicker. It seems that his leg has been saved, although he’ll need more reconstructive surgical work.

Spearo gave a brief interview to a local TV. He bled the fish earlier and thinks it was not blood that attracted GW. GW circled him, so he got full view of it. He ditched the fish in hope that GW would go for it. But GW would have none of it and went straight for the guy. He got GW by the gills and hit GW in the head with his spear two times, bending the spear in the process.

Potvr?eno: Slovenca je napala velika bijela psina - Dnevnik.hr

I love the word "attack" - i am sure the shark was lurking around for days waiting for an unsuspecting spearo ;)

I don't see why that matters. If a shark rushes me and bites me, I consider that to be an attack, whether the shark planned it for days or for 10 seconds.

A triathlete training with his friends was killed a few months ago here in Southern California, and the friends sure called it an attack.

I don't see why that matters. If a shark rushes me and bites me, I consider that to be an attack, whether the shark planned it for days or for 10 seconds.

A triathlete training with his friends was killed a few months ago here in Southern California, and the friends sure called it an attack.

hiya Bill
i was referring more to the comment in the article where it said that the shark was circling the boat "planning another attack" . What a devious little devil :D

I guess the speared fish might have triggered some excitement in the shark?

10 meters from shore:confused: ?!!! Hey Ms island Sands is there any report of shark attacks here in Abu Dhabi especially in the ladies beach area? Is shark interested in Camo or the black wet suit which will make you look like a seal:confused: I need to start reading on sharks behaviour:fridayand eating habits!!! Thou ive never seen any shark in the vicinity where i'm self-training,but lots of them in the fish market

I can't see that fish on the belt would ever be a good idea anywhere. I'm sorry for the chap, what a horrible experience, the drinks are on me when he gets back in the water.

This really freaks me out. Of all places, a great white shark off Croatia? I am glad the guy has escaped without any irreversible damage.

10 meters from shore:confused: ?!!! Hey Ms island Sands is there any report of shark attacks here in Abu Dhabi especially in the ladies beach area? Is shark interested in Camo or the black wet suit which will make you look like a seal:confused: I need to start reading on sharks behaviour:fridayand eating habits!!! Thou ive never seen any shark in the vicinity where i'm self-training,but lots of them in the fish market

Huda,
if you see a shark anyway near Abu Dhabi, then please tell me as i want to see one too!!! :) There are no dangerous animals at ALL in Abu Dhabi, or Dubai for that matter. The worst injury you could possibly suffer is standing on a sea urchin :crutch :crutch

Which ladies beach do you swim from? Hey why dont you come to the next freediving course, 31st October/1st November? Are you training alone? :)

Huda,
if you see a shark anyway near Abu Dhabi, then please tell me as i want to see one too!!! :) There are no dangerous animals at ALL in Abu Dhabi, or Dubai for that matter. The worst injury you could possibly suffer is standing on a sea urchin :crutch :crutch

Which ladies beach do you swim from? Hey why dont you come to the next freediving course, 31st October/1st November? Are you training alone? :)

Yeah urchins are on top on the list next to the sting on some occassional jelly's, i get request from beach goers to relocate them. yep i trained alone,no training buddy:head, most of the beach goers are snorkelers and afraid to go 5 meters down. I go after the Emirates palace hotel at the 2nd breakwater. I know someone who bought a long fin but also afraid to relax at the bottom at 5 meters only:head. I always monitor your sked for the course but my main problem is the location, i cant have that long of a travel due to work and most of all i still dont have a driving license. My boss promise me the license by next year (again X 2)together with a promotion:friday. i also have spoken to Wassim Zein during the hunting exhibition and strongly suggest your course. Till then,i'm stuck in abu dhabi waaaaaaaaaa!!!!:headAny course in the future that will only be in abu dhabi?

Ps

Most of the beach goers think i'm a nut case with the gears i'm having. How's your D4 goin? I just bought mine and will received it tomorrow. Anything i should know that is not in the manual?:confused:

No GWS would want to sample me if I saw it first--I'd be putting out the biggest "ink" cloud just like our calamar & pulpo friends that predator would sue me for toxifyin' the water. :martial

Last edited:
In South Africa, especially cape waters, fish on a belt = one legged/dead spearo.
Dropping your fish does not help, the shark is there because he is hungry, and your fish has been rubbing on your wetsuit, so your leg will still smells like a sack of fish chum, even after the fish is gone. Use a bouy and a stinger or put your fish in the boat and the shark will pass you by.
Sorry for the spearo, but thats part of the sport. You are in the food chain and you know it.

Reactions: octopus
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT