• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo attacked by a GW shark in Croatia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Brutal call maybe Paul, but certainly correct.
You SA folk are very, very brave, in my book.
As you quite rightly say, we're all in the food chain when we're in the sharks' domain.

Hi Nigel,

From what I hear, there are some crazy NSW divers too!!

Diving with whites is not a mucho thing - if I dive in an area where there are whites, I will wear my Pod. I like my extrmities!!!

I have NEVER worn a body stringer. Fish on float cool - but first choice directly on a boat if you can.

Hey spadefish.
Yeah, we are lucky here not to commonly encounter the monsters you guys live with, generally whalers of various descriptions are the common sharks in our waters.
As you say, a bit of common sense can be very beneficial........I'm sure I'd be wearing a pod too if dove where you folk do, that's if I could muster the courage to enter the water!
Cheers and safe diving!

Hi Nigel,

With all the bans on taking Whites, you can expect them to migrate into waters where you don't normally see them. This has happened with us where since the ban, they have been moving up into the warmer NE coast. In Natal we used to see them very rarely, but now the guys that dive on the deeper banks tend to see them a number of time per year.

By the way, Pods work really well on whalers and black tip sharks (the hyperactive sharks)

White sharks in SA are definitely more common in some areas than others but they can be found anywhere - even Sodwana Bay (tropical far north). Obviously where there are seal colonies there are loads as is the case of False Bay - I read somewhere that they have tagged in excess of 500 different individuals in False Bay alone. To me that does not imply that they are threatened!!!!!!

CIOA

Reactions: agbiv
Hi spadefish.
Thanks for your informative reply, would have to agree with you, a similar debate has been/is raging in NSW about the perceived numbers of Grey Nurse sharks, preservationists like to use their own data to achieve their own preferred outcomes, generally 'lock-outs', by waving their political stick at one major political party or another, come election time.
The true numbers of individuals can however be a totally different matter, as has been highlighted by events here such as the 'Great Australian Shark Count' - of which the National peak spearfishing body, the Australian Underwater Federation, is the initiator.
Regarding the GWS, certainly there have been deaths in Australia within the last 10 years involving scuba divers, seal colonies and GWS.
Again, a bit of common sense.............
Cheers.

Sorry for the spearo, but thats part of the sport. You are in the food chain and you know it.[/quote]

thats what i am saying! to be honest, if it wasnt dangerous, i would be doing something else. i pretty much consider it to be one of the most extreme and dangerous hobbies, and that is why I AM HOOKED! screw the sharks! get a bang tip, and a dive buddy. and no dead fish body ornaments would probably be a good idea. anytime i see my friends using a stringer, they are just being lazy, and not swimming the fish back to the boat.

Reactions: agbiv
Hi All,

I think the reason why this report has had such an impact is that it happened in the Med (Adriatic). I am aware of GW's being present there but there number must be really low considering the degree that the Med has been fished out. In reality there was probably a gretear chance of the poor guy winning a major lottery than getting whacked by a GW in the Med. I truely hope he recovers soon and gets into the water again as the chances of even getting a glimpse at annother GW in the Med is probably zero.

Last month (Dec), there was a fatal shark attack in Mozambique. I am not sure of the exact details other than the poor guys name and that he was shore diving with a local. The problem with these exotic locations is that even if the incident is not critical, the lack of facilities make it so. On a similar vane, we are always looking for less utilised areas, further away from the crowds (read facilities) so always placing ourselves under more and more risk. We do this without thinking (or at least I do). Fortunately although I have seen thousands of sharks (no lies here) I can count the number of times when things could have become hairy if I had not kept my cool on one hand. I have seen very experienced Europen divers frightened out of the water by a 'tame' tiger shark. The problem is that their movements (probably due to terror) are very erratic as they want to get out the water as soon as possible....not too clever.

Anyway dive safe

i live on the island Hvar, the next island to Vis. We over here know that around Vis, there are a lot of tuna farms and cages, so its normal that there are sharks around. I`m sorry for the spearo because he met the great white the only species of sharks which is really rare around there.

I've been on korcula, which is nearby vis, for one month last summer, and I was hardly able to spear any fish at all. some 1/2 kg bass, 1 sepia, that was it. there where literally no fish at all around. i also went about 1 mile offshore 2 times, no chance to see any bigger fish... poor med...
can't believe a GW lurking around there...

In South Africa, especially cape waters, fish on a belt = one legged/dead spearo.
Dropping your fish does not help, the shark is there because he is hungry, and your fish has been rubbing on your wetsuit, so your leg will still smells like a sack of fish chum, even after the fish is gone. Use a bouy and a stinger or put your fish in the boat and the shark will pass you by.

screw the sharks! get a bang tip, and a dive buddy. and no dead fish body ornaments would probably be a good idea. anytime i see my friends using a stringer, they are just being lazy, and not swimming the fish back to the boat.

Speaking from personal experience for the past 20 years diving primarily in Florida waters I've never had a shark attack, annoy or otherwise harass me with fish on belt (morays not counting)...not to say its not a possibility, just that its never happened to me, hmmm sounds like an interesting poll:ko

Port St Johns which is just South of Durban (South Africa) had a fatal attack on a swimmer a few weeks back and another in the same spot almost a year ago. They recon its a Tiger but more than likely a Bull shark. I lost a nice fish this week to a blackfin that not so gently pulled my fish of the stringer whilst swimming back in with 2m vis. Scary but certainly part of the buzz.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT