• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo books?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Early review -- Dive Free

I received my signed copy of Dive Free by Ian Rodger [see above] this week and have read all sections relevant to spearing in the UK, i.e. all except: the Med, Tropical, photography & the extensive Bibliography (and I am saving those for later).

When I first open the book to the middle pages of colour images of the tropical coral I thought, good ...but is it going to relevant. I need not have worried, this book could have been written specifically for me - a relative novice spearo with a lot of questions. While I suspect this book will have less to offer a spearo with years of experience (although I am sure they'd learn a few things - some interesting insight into Bass & Wrasse for example), they might still wish to consider buying this book to lend to curious beginners with too many questions.;) At £5 inc. p&p, a bargain.

By the way, although the book is ostensibly about freediving -- it is squarely aimed at spearfishing & photography, rather than modern extreme freediving competition. It could equally be titled as something like: an introduction to skin diving for spearos.

Some of the things I like about the book include:
- its south coast of England emphasis & references
- the image of the author with his first fish in 1958!
- coverage of basic freediving
- some novel techniques for fishing caved-up fish
- simple straightforward approach to gear
- provides a great summary of what it is all about (for example, which fish are really relevant, the effect of tides, safety vs. solo,...)

It is good to be able benefit from this sort of experience in a sport that is relatively small & where experienced proponents are few and far between (and those able/willing to to share it even fewer).

Strangely, this book is a good compliment to the Len Jones book. There is surprisingly little overlap, the former having photos & UK-specific info. re. fish, habitat & techniques with emphasis on freediving, the latter has line diagrams of equipment, sea-kayaks, surf entry & SA spearo focus -- it is all good.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
This is redundant, but I'll cast one more vote for Blue Water Hunting and Freediving by Terry Maas. I had been out of diving for 5 years on doctor's orders, and this book was what made to say to hell with doctors and get back in.

Last of the Blue Water Hunters is also very good, but its more about the "feel" of freedive spearfishing than instructional.

Reactions: Old Man Dave
Bill McIntyre said:
This is redundant, but I'll cast one more vote for Blue Water Hunting and Freediving by Terry Maas.
Everybody seems to rate it highly. At 79 pounds (gulp) an extremely expensive proposition in the UK (actually better to order from Amazon.com in the USA & ship). I might order it from the library - you can get anything, if you are willing to wait. From Spearo Dave's post, sounds like it may not be quite so relevant to UK waters - which is my primary interest at the moment.

Looking for books myself, but unfortunately not being able to get a copy of B. Allen Patrick's book when I needed it, (before my vacation), I found an Italian manual by Marco Bardi instead. He's the captain of Omer's spearfishing team and the book is supposedly very good. I know most of you guys are native English speakers, but thought I should still add it to the list in case you have members who know some Italian.

cop_manuale.jpg

Ajeje

I have an old, but quirky read which Alison at the time mentioned was a little rare now. It's called SPEARFISHING IN BRITAIN by KENDALL McDONALD & PHIL SMITH.
That is completely UK orientated.

Regards

I guess Marco Bardi's manual will be very good. I've red his website and there are tons of info including apnea training routines and many, many good advice on spearfishing in the Mediterranean. There are a few excerptс of the book too.

Ajeje said:
...I found an Italian manual by Marco Bardi instead. He's the captain of Omer's spearfishing team and the book is supposedly very good. I know most of you guys are native English speakers, but thought I should still add it to the list in case you have members who know some Italian.
...have been trying to get Spaghetti to translate it for us poor benighted English speakers!

Mr. X said:
...have been trying to get Spaghetti to translate it for us poor benighted English speakers!
Back at last!
Curiously, three days ago I was queuing for ice cream at a bar and Marco Bardi's sister (Silvia) was just behind me in the queue: we could have made a deal, who knows, but this transaltion thing was not in my mind at that moment: we were both focusing on ice cream. It's strange, indeed, that this manual hasn't been translated in english before.
However, leaving books behind, let's consider that Deeper Blue forums are a very good "manual": we always get valid tips here.

I still like my little South African booklet by Len Jones from RA Europe or Spearo.co.uk

haha, who ever does worst in a competition here gets the len jones booklet as a consilation price rofl Im sure ill get a couple in future maybe i should distrobute them here :crutch

Reactions: Mr. X
Similarly, the Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles, is also a GREAT read for a bad weather day!! Like Dave said, maybe a bit "hippy" :D

Regards
miles

'Run free, and live out your life, ocean warrior'. Great book.

Last edited:
Chaps i have just finished reading both the books below,

Encounters with Sharks,Dolphins and Big Fish by Len Jones

The Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles

Both books a fantastic and wrap you up in great adventure tales of hunting plentiful big fish.The books help you understand the frontiers these men passed to endulge in their and our passion of spearfishing.The equipment they had was primitive and in most occasions home made but still they caught fish.

The books tell tales of big catches that in this day and age seem wastefull and wrong but you cannot judge these people from this as hindsight is a powerfull teacher.

Instead read the books and enjoy in what they learnt the hard way.As this has in some way or another helped us all with our sport.

Hats off to them all :) :) :)

Just finished Helldivers Rodeo. Those guys are NUTS.

"You see I was born a hunter" Carlos Eyles. Yeh! Me too.

Just finished Helldivers Rodeo. Those guys are NUTS.

"You see I was born a hunter" Carlos Eyles. Yeh! Me too.

I have also read that book (that actual book in fact) & to be honest I feel I have to warn anyone who intends to read it - be prepared! These guys are merciless killers intent on risking anything to kill, kill, kill!!

I have also read that book (that actual book in fact) & to be honest I feel I have to warn anyone who intends to read it - be prepared! These guys are merciless killers intent on risking anything to kill, kill, kill!!
I'm guessing that you are referring to Hellsdivers Rodeo -- Carlos Eyles sounds more philosphical/hippy from what has been said. Mindless killing is pretty naff. Carlos would probably be of more interest to me.

Forgot to mention, Rob Allen have several DVDs: RA Spearfishing DVDs I think Jeremy, the spearo featured in the DVDs, is Rob's business partner. Anybody seen them & care to review them here? (Are there any spearo videos made in the UK around -- or has our punitive tax system and murky weather/water put pay such entrepreneurial endeavours?).

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you are referring to Hellsdivers Rodeo -- Carlos Eyles sounds more philosphical/hippy from what has been said. Mindless killing is pretty naff. Carlos would probably be of more interest to me.

Both books are defiantly worth reading but could not be further apart with content!
Carlo's book is almost beautiful - helldivers is almost disgusting!

Reactions: Pastor
I give in. I just ordered The Last of the Blue Water Hunters -- it can be my surprise Christmas present.:) (I thought the HellDivers book was a DVD when I first saw it, per my earlier post!).

Pity the Len Jones books aren't on Amazon. Still, Spearo.co.uk carry 2 of them - Miles mentioned a third earlier in this thread. I just found my copy of the famous spearfishing guide - brilliant. Even though it is small, I learn something new every time I look at it. Which reminds me, I still need to order a copy of Eric's book.

[I notice the Manual Of Freediving: Underwater On A Single Breath has dropped a lot in price (£13), think I payed £20+ for my copy]

Also noticed this one by Terry Maas (much cheaper from US Amazon than UK): [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0964496615?ie=UTF8&tag=various02-21"]Amazon.com: Freedive!: Books: David Sipperly,Terry Maas[/ame]
99aaa2c008a06aabebe1a010._AA240_.L.jpg

Last edited:
Mr x you will not regret buying that book, you will be slicing off little bits of bass & eating them just like Carlos, the same the rest of us did after we read the book!

Reactions: Mr. X and Pastor
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT