• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo.co.uk... Where's Dave?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You could of bought a diveskin custom made suit for about £130 delivered - my last one took two weeks from order to delivery!
Do you have a URL for that Foxfish? Would I be correct in believing you chaps in the Channel Islands don't get mugged by the British Chancellor for 20% VAT? :(

A few suggestions when getting measured for a made to measure spearo suit:

1. Take every measurement at least 3 times - discard any way off measurements, then take the average. [Spreadsheets are good for this.]
2. Measure both right & left sides (e.g. my right calf is a full inch further round than the left).
3. Take measurements on different days, at different times, temperatures, etc. - it can make a difference. You'll probably dive in a range of conditions. I've been very hot in my wetsuit (esp. when new, even in November) and quite cold (in early Spring, now that it is getting quite old).
4. If buying from Eliossub.it follow their video instructions precisely, don't second guess them.
5. That said, consider adding a little extra space around the throat. This was a tip from a dive instructor friend, apparently there is an involuntary breathing reflex that can be triggered if it is too tight. I've never regretted adding a 1+cm to my measurement, if anything I might have added a bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon
The UK will also sometimes impose an import tax and VAT on new items over a certain value from the USA :(. Old fashion, archaic, protectionist clap trap. (The import tax for acoustic and electric guitars is different, for example).

The UK will also sometimes impose an import tax and VAT on new items over a certain value from the USA :(. Old fashion, archaic, protectionist clap trap. (The import tax for acoustic and electric guitars is different, for example).

x, do you mean customs duty? Payable on anything imported into the eu from outside. Gsy has to pay that too as part of the eea.
I bought an old fender banjo from turtle hill, USA, once - and learned just how much customs duty can be!

Reactions: Mr. X
are import taxes always £0 if item is a gift, or can gifts even be subjected to duty?

That all depends on whether they believe that it's a gift. I bought a guitar from someone in the US, they labeled it as a gift, even put a birthday message from my auntie inside the box and I still got stung.

On the topic of my (no) suit from spearo.co.uk: I received my refund from Dave today, so not a total disaster, just lost some time, that's all.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT