• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spears for home made hawaiian sling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

F22

Oct 29, 2011
Hi guys. Totally new to this so my apologies if this is a dumb question.

I want to make my own spears for my hawaiian sling. I will be free diving in nj shooting for stripers or porgies.

Should I make my shafts of 1/4 steel or should I use wood for the shafts?

Also my final question is what tips would you looks recommend?

I was talking to someone and they suggested fish point arrowheads but I am doubtful it will work.

Thanks a ton guys!
Mike

I have heard of folk using fiberglass but never wood, not to say it has not been done though!!

I may make acrylic ones over the winter. I just need to know ASAP as I want to work on this tomorrow while I'm at work.

Plenty of vids on youtube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbFrkKQJt4]Make your own Hawaiian Sling/Fish Spear - YouTube[/ame]

Hi. I like to made my own shafts and my hawaiian slings, is the only thing with i love to go spearfishing.

Made the shafts with 1/4 stainless steel, about 66" or 60", depends on your height. The most dificult part is made the flopper, but anyways is awesome go fishing with something made it by yourself.

I was told to use the 3-point tip, but notice that get damaged very fast and need more polished, so i have one 3pointed and one with an normal arrow tip.

Hope it helps.

Here are some pictures:

20130814_162417.jpg

20130814_162240.jpg

20130814_162456.jpg

reemplazovp.png
reemplazovp.png
reemplazovp.png

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Awesome!

I'm going to dye die however you spell it. The rod tonight and I am picking up flappers tonight. :)

Don't bother with wood, carbon fiber, fiberglass, or whatever. Steel is the only way to go. You need the momentum from the weight of the steel to penetrate a fish. None of the other materials has the mass to penetrate.
If you hunt stripers, you probably want to go with 5/16". It will be slower, but have more mass to anchor a larger fish, like a striper.

Either one of those looks great. You ever have a fish run off with the spear?

Well... Normally the shaft weight took down the fish to the bottom. If i dont hit it in the head they can swim but not too far.

What could happen, if the fish is too strong, is that they start rolling over the shaft and get away for the rear bottom, but that is very rare.

Here are a few pics of the sling I built. It is 3/4" PVC with a drilled cap and a para cord grip. I had a 20" surgical tubing length that I tied knots in and secured with hose clamps. I can get about 24" of extension.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 310
Anyone know how much surgical tubing I should use? I think the 20" may be a little short...

Anyone know how long of a surgical tube I should use? I'm concerned that 20" total about 9" on either end will not give me enough kick.

Anyone?

One more pic of the completed project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 389
Not even. I build custom aquariums so I have tons of PVC parts laying around. The only thing I bought was the spear head from a local dive shop.

I think I need to cut the pipe though I need more pull on the spear.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT