• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spears for home made hawaiian sling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Anyone know how long of a surgical tube I should use? I'm concerned that 20" total about 9" on either end will not give me enough kick.

Anyone?

I like to use a 30" surgical tube for my sling, around 8 and 10" are tied to the wood or pvc. I recomed you get a butt end, that will let you hold the shaft better and conserve the surgical tube. Get it on steel or aluminium.

Also maybe stick caps to both sides on the pvc pipe with a hole in the middle, that will improve your accurancy.

Here are some pictures.

20130820_164601.jpg

20130820_164026.jpg

One more pic of the completed project.

Looks awesome the rail line. It works? I made one myself like 5 months ago and had to remove it, it slow down the shaft too much.

Nice work man! :D

I actually revised the design and made a wooden butt for the end of it and drilled two PVC caps as a guide. We were supposed to test it today but my buddy lost his pole spear yesterday and now we have rescheduled for next week.

Ill post a new pic today or tomorrow of the gun and you folks can give me some ideas.

Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with wood. I would think it'll float away. Just imagine you shoot then there off goes your spear to the surface when you've lined up to a nice stripey!! LOL :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't bother with wood. I would think it'll float away. Just imagine you shoot then there off goes your spear to the surface when you've lined up to a nice stripey!! LOL :ROFLMAO:
:) Yes, that was my first thought too. Perhaps some very dense wood might work (I was told they used to use exotic hardwood as ship balast) - but metal (or pos. fibre glass) seems the more obvious choice.

After you shoot, it should get to be automatic to slip an arm through the tubing loop, so you have it no matter what happens. This is easier if you attach the tubing to the front end of the sling stock so that the tubing runs above the notch between your thumb and finger. Adjust the length of the tubing on each side of the butt so that the pull is even. This also gives you more tubing length, ie, more power. This also means you must put the same end of the tubing under you hand, so you shoot consistently. It gets to be automatic.

Wood(Mahogany or oak, something that is hard and won't splinter) is a good material for the stock. If for some bad reason you drop the sling, it floats and you have a better chance of recovering it. Also, after you shoot and have your arm through it, it stays above and behind you, out of the way while you are chasing down the fish. With the shaft in it, the whole thing is negative and sits on the bottom nicely. The butt end is better in metal or strong plastic. A butt end made of wood is a bit larger than works well.

My best sling is oak, has a center hole about double the diameter of the shaft. Its shape is fairly narrow for the back end with a larger head to which the tubing is attached. The back end is easier to hold and the larger front end allows less difference in length between the two sides of the tubing. You don't want the center hole too small or it will disturb your aim. You aim the spear, not the sling. Ktrells pic of a wooden sling looks similar to mine, but mine has more diameter difference between front and back.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT