• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

speedo´s or natural??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

henjon

Aug 11, 2006
Hi.

I just heard that wearing speedo's and swimsuits in general under your opencell suit is harmful to your suit? Can anyone confirm this? The guy who told me always go "natural" in the suit, and says that once you have tried it, you wont go back.. says that it wears down the open cell suit if you wear a swinsuit under.

I don't know about the damage to the wetsuit thing, but I go commando because it keeps me warm and I hate any bunching up of material under a wetsuit.

This may be a bit graphic :yack but picture this: You're wearing a speedo or bathing suit and from kicking it works itself into a wedgy. I will tell you now that, (A) it will be very uncomfortable and annoying, and (B) you will not be able to straighten it out until you can take the suit back off again!

It can wreck a perfectly good dive.

(plus, .......chicks dig guys who go commando!)

Last edited:
I used to wear a Speedo and never noticed any wear on the suit, but I don't wear one anymore. There is no use soaking a Speedo in urine all day when it isn't performing any function.

...aaaaaand we're back to PEEING again! Ewwwww.... heh heh. BUTT seriously....if one were to go commando under their suit, I suppose they'd need a PRIVATE dressing area to wriggle into the pants in. I for one think I'll be wearing a Speedo under my suit during my PFI course this month! :D

Todd

Last edited:
DiverTodd said:
BUTT seriously....if one were to go commando under their suit, I suppose they'd need a PRIVATE dressing area to wriggle into the pants in. I for one think I'll be wearing a Speedo under my suit during my PFI course this month! :D

Todd

This is true. I'm on my own boat and am not so fortunate as to have girls along, but if I didn any beach diving I guess I'd have to resort to a Speedo.

DiverTodd said:
BUTT seriously....if one were to go commando under their suit, I suppose they'd need a PRIVATE dressing area to wriggle into the pants in. I for one think I'll be wearing a Speedo under my suit during my PFI course this month! :D

Todd

This is true. I'm on my own boat and am not so fortunate as to have girls along, but if I did any beach diving I guess I'd have to resort to a Speedo.

jimdoe2you said:
This my be a bit graphic but picture this: You're wearing a speedo or bathing suit and from kicking, it works itself into a wedgy.
Bill McIntyre said:
There is no use soaking a Speedo in urine all day when it isn't performing any function.
rofl rofl rofl

I don't wear anything under the suit, but maybe if I got changed on a beach I would have to change that.

Lucia

Reactions: Mr. X
I go commando too - but I change on the beach - pretty easy with a towel to maintain 'beach rules'. I used to wear cycle shorts but lost them somewhere (a fast downhill section on the Val de Terres I think). Not too hard to change with a towel...

Edward

Reactions: jimdoe2you
Commando all the way! I wince when I see people peeling off wetsuits to reveal a pair of soggy swimming shorts underneath. Same with sleeping. What's the point in getting dressed to go to bed?

And yeah, towels protect modesty :)

N

portinfer said:
I go commando too - but I change on the beach - pretty easy with a towel to maintain 'beach rules'. Not too hard to change with a towel...
In that case commando is best!

Hmmm, but how does one manage juggling the towel and the lube to get into the suit? My luck, I'd drop something...and it wouldn't be the bottle of soapy water. lol

Todd

Hmm, now that's a very good point - I have yet to purchase my first open-cell suit, so I've been OK so far...

This use of a towel thing fascinates me. I'm on my boat, with no one but other guys around, and I get naked to put the suit on and then again when I get it off. But I've noticed that a lot of the younger guys still use a towel as if they were on a public beach.

Why the modesty? Are they afraid of my intentions? Maybe they never participated in a team sport where all the guys were naked in the locker room and in the shower together?

DiverTodd said:
Hmmm, but how does one manage juggling the towel and the lube to get into the suit? My luck, I'd drop something...and it wouldn't be the bottle of soapy water. lol

Todd

Lube the bottoms - I allways rub the internal surfaces together to distribute the lube - put on the towel - slip off whatever - slide on one leg - then the other - then pull the bottoms up enough to avoid intimidating any other so called 'men' on the beach - lose the towel and work them the rest of the way on.

I use a towel because:

a) I'm British, and therefore very easily embarassed :)

b) All my freediving to date has been from the shore, and there are often plenty of women and children and elderly people around who might not appreciate a view of my, uuuh, tackle.

Bill, I have the same problem and I think I know what the problem is. By chance are you also half Irish and half Giraffe!!!

rofl rofl rofl

Reactions: foxfish
Bill McIntyre said:
This use of a towel thing fascinates me.
Why the modesty? Are they afraid of my intentions? Maybe they never participated in a team sport where all the guys were naked in the locker room and in the shower together?
I must of led a sheltered life :eek:

I guess I'm basing my replies on "mixed" company. Heh heh. With a bunch of guys, it wouldn't make any difference to me, either.

Todd

Bill McIntyre said:
Maybe they never participated in a team sport where all the guys were naked in the locker room and in the shower together?
never mind: two of my club mates have shower always with their speedos ON! (maybe it's because they're not half giraffe...)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT