• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spit out the snorkel?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

earthbm

Oct 19, 2020
Was told today that YouTube freedivers remove the snorkels while underwater not just for the looks but also because the body won’t inhale the water (even is passed out) this way. True/false?

From what ive heard and seen this is true, so if someone blacks out itll keep the mouth closed, i always do it too and i feel it makes things better overall anyway with equalizing and relaxing my jaw

Reactions: earthbm
There has been an interesting discussion a few weeks back about this, where the conclusion was that it's actually safer to keep the snorkel in while diving.

Link to the thread (click)
It's definitely good to read the discussion and then form your own opinion. While I personally dive snorkel-in, I would not claim it is universally safer way to do. There are certainly pros and cons of each method. If you are pushing your limits and dive with a buddy (which you should always do), having the snorkel out just makes really sense.

Reactions: Leander
It's definitely good to read the discussion and then form your own opinion. While I personally dive snorkel-in, I would not claim it is universally safer way to do.
Agreed.

I understand the reasoning behind snorkel-in, but to me it just feels horribly unnatural and makes me unable to relax. And in a way, being able to relax can be considered a safety too. Another issue for me with snorkel-in is that here there are always waves, and when clearing the snorkel just before surfacing the risk of getting a full breath of water is too big (it actually happened as I was experimenting with snorkel-in). Instead I made it my muscle memory to put in the snorkel right after the first surface breath, so it's a bit of a hybrid technique.

As with most things in freediving or any other dangerous activity, there isn't just one right way, there are many, and many more still to be discovered. Developing your own version, based on knowledge, experience and understanding is always better than just blindly copying what others say.

and dive with a buddy (which you should always do)
Even this has both pros and cons.

Reactions: Michael-AT
Hello all,
well if you are passed out underwater, whenever your body decides to take a breath you will swallow water with or without the snorkel. Of course we are all safe divers and have a good dive buddy to keep an eye on our safety ;););).

Now what really makes sense to me in favor of removing it is: if you pass out underwater, one of the tell tell signs is a full out exhalation. From what I understand, with the snorkel out, all those bubbles from the exhalation will be more visible as opposed to having the snorkel in the mouth. It makes sense to me but I have not tested this.

Stay safe!

Hi everyone,

In 2004 in Red Sea, I repeated the 11 exercises for my ’S3’ level at the Lifras (the name of the Belgium federation…in Wallonia)
At this time nothing was told about the snorkel in mouth under the water !
One of the 11 exercice is 10 m DYN at 20 m. For sure I decided to dive at 21 m to log the depth in my ‘Apneist’…depth gauge
At 21m I stopped my descent to start the 10 m DYN, when I felt a very strange reaction in my throat (with my snorkel in my mouth!)
When I came on the surface I read the depth…24 m…my buoyancy was negative.
Concerning the ‘very strange reaction in my throat’ I decided never again to hold my snorkel in mouth…and few years later by ‘Apnea Academy, SSI-freediver and AIDA I got the confirmation ’don’t hold snorkel in mouth under the water’.
I read the following explanation concerning my ‘very strange reaction in my throat ‘.
Holding something between the jaws can cause a swallowing reflex.
Fortunately I didn't swallow any quantity of water…At 24 m !!!:eek:

I took the good decision before knowing the explanation :)

Agreed.
I understand the reason behind it. It makes me unable to relax. And in a way,
being able to relax can be considered a safety too. I was experimenting with snorkel-in). Instead, I made it my muscle memory to put in the snorkel right after the first surface breath, so it's a bit of a hybrid technique fishing uae. Now what really makes sense to me in favor of removing it is: if you pass out underwater, one of the tell-tell signs is a full out exhalation.

I Found always some good discussion in this form There has been an interesting discussion a few weeks back about this, where the conclusion was that it's actually safer to keep the snorkel in while diving. I have interested in fishing UAE and Alaska fishing spots.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT