• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static Challenge

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: Marwan

Originally posted by Skindiver
Until you push past that unbearable urge to breathe you will not click what everyone is talking about.

Aha! - I suspected this but I desparately needed confirmation from someone - thanks a lot man - I've got my work cut out for me - I'm leaving to the middle east in a couple weeks to stay a month (Oman) so hopefully I can overcome this stage before i get there - afterall would be a waste not to try what with all that beautiful ocean waiting down there :)

it blew my mind, btw, when you said that you should try to hold your breath up to 2 minutes longer!!

thanks again all - truly helpful.

Marwan

Pezman

Mike, Sorry the dynamic is WITH fins. I've not tried dynamic yet without. So should I expect half as much without fins, or what's the general rule to expect. Your 75 yards is tremendous in my opinion. Then again, you did have great dynamic this fall. What would you recommend for conditioning. More running or slower weight training. (sorry, some punctuation not functioning on this keyboard).

I'd like to join you guys this New Years eve, but just too cold for me! Hey, Jim Glynn called me last night and told me he's going to Cozumel over Christmas. What a lucky stiff!! Guess he won't be joining you. Say, was that pic you signed with, the one of me on the surface. Think I recognize it as one of the bunch you took.

Take care,
Jim

Whew -- i feel a little better

Jim,

Not sure what makes for a good dynamic. I think that the weight training makes me a little more anaerobically fit than average. My statics are below average for this site (again, maybe due to the weight training).

Oddly enough my dynamics w/o fins are better than my dynamics with fins -- go figure. There are soem good threads on here about unaided dynamics. David Lee has some of the best posts on the topic. I tried to use the recommended strokes, but I do better with a very weird kicking style that mixes elements of frog, flutter and dolphin kick into a very long stroke that keeps me moving w/o expending too much energy.

BTW Jeff posted on the Longblades site that he is working on a pool training regimen (with someone famous who shall remain nameless) and he's looking for test subjects (meaning us). It would be a good opportunity to get together and whip ourselves into shape for the spring. Hope to see you on the Longblades site.

mh

P.S. 5:40 -- way to go. You're going to be in the 6+ league soon

P.P.S. Yup -- that signature photo is you. Jeff posted a bunch of additional pics on the Longblades site -- its been very busy lately.

Hey Maxdream ,
Impressive results :cool:
I have never tried packing for statics yet , do you think packing delays the onset of contractions ? Wish I could have my first at 5:00 :(

Packing

I've tried static with packing for the first time yesterday and it really works. I was always having difficulties with that big pressure of packed lungs. Therfore I did only 5 packs + mouthfill to overcome that pressure. My new pb is 5:44 (old 5:06).

My attempt :

10 x 1:00 ins with a single breath between

3:30 pause (slight hyperventilation after static)

3:40 ins (1st contraction at 2:38, 10 contractions counted)

4:45 pause (slight hyperv.)

5:44 ins (1st contraction at 2:56, 33 counted)

Ok, here goes...

I was posting my PB's on the poll, but this is probably the better place for them.

I just reached 2:43, which is an improvement over my 2:34. but I am pleased. I'll probably get even better once I learn how to ride out those contractions.

hi Maxdream

hi

Those are some pretty impressive numbers especially for wet statics way to go man.

cheers

New category?

I live at altitude (2600 meters) and my PB here was always 4 min, at sea level is 5'24"
Today, following my brother's advice reach 5 min.(dry)
I feel very happy, I know I can go further.

BatRay

Try and take control of your contractions.
Dont let them shake you.

Use your shoulders to 'push' down on them,
thus limiting the effect they have on your body.

Herman

Also seen on Static pb...

Newer pb

I reached 3:00!

Thanks Herman, I will certainly try that. Those things are like being kicked by a mule. :(

my humble PB is still 4:30... while back.. lost intrest in it after couple of days training.... I just don't have the imagination to lift me to deep waters while holding my breath on my couch..:)

Reactions: ivan
hi

I recived my new watch so should have some statics up here by tomorrow. Not expecting much over 3min.

cheers

hey

Abri you still goin hard at your static training or what man.

cheers

ps lets get this thing goin again

Results

At Ivan's request I just did a dry static set.

I did:
2 breaths
3'30 (-) (Min SaO2=93%, etCO2=7.0%)
short rest
3 breaths
5'21 (4'19) (didn't push) (Min SaO2=64%, etCO2 = 7.9%)
short rest
2 minutes of fire breathing
7'02 (5'49) (max effort) (Min SaO2=19%)

I'm still getting over a cold so I can't get into the pool yet...

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Help!

I'm drowning in new terms, what's SaO2 and "fire breathing"? Is it the same as fast panayama?

Adrian

experiments

Still looking for the perfect warm up for statics. Last four attempts (dry);

50 minutes of CO2 tolerance table (8 reps), 3 min. rest, 5 min of 75% ventilation, 1 min slow, max vent, 3 packs.... 7+ (3:45)

60 min of O2 tolerance table (8 reps), 3/5/1, 3 packs...samba @ 7 (3:15)

2 breath 2 min static, 3 min 75%, 3 min static, 4 min 75%, 4 min. static, 3 min 75%, 4 min static, 2 min 75%, 2 min 95%, 3 packs... samba @ 6:40 (3:30)

2 breath 2 min static, 3/3, 4/4, 4/5, 4/6, 2' 75, 2' 95, 2 packs...7:15 (3:20) felt way better after

I've tried the standard hyper ventilating for a minute (any more and I have LMC in the first minute of the static) and my performance gets very irratic, PB one day and my only sub 6:00 min. max in a year, two days later. Back to back maxis hurt so bad(after) that I don't try them anymore.

For record attempts, I would bet on 8 to 10 reps of 4 on, 4 off as Eric suggested with a negative near the end.

As a little side note, last month, on a 2, 3/3, 4/4, 5/5, 6/6 and 3 min rest 6 min vent and max, I managed a static to 430+ heart beats. I'm thinking of claiming a world record if I can find a drug test that excludes caffeine.

Aloha
Bill

Heart Beats

I used to count the number of heart beats until I got my first contraction. In those days, my pb was 425 heart beats until the first contraction.

I think I have come close to 700 heart beats total. Sometimes my heart is beating well over 100 for the first 5 minutes.

The yoga textbooks say that a yogi has reached the first level of mastery of pranayama when he can hold his breath for 1000 heart beats.

My polar vantage NV HR monitor can count individual heart beats. It would be a neat experiment!

Martin told me his heart would beat around 105 until his first contraction around 4'00, after which his heart would beat around 55. That would put him at 640 heart beats at 8'00.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

Eric did statics at my request. He he I feel big now, though after reading those numbers I feel like a little ant again.

Anyways As I said I would try some wet statics heres how it went

3 breath breathe up 3:00 static, contractions 2:00

same breathe up 4:00static, 2:45

as above 4:20 static, 3:00

as above 4:00 static, 3:00

I wasnt very happy with the amount of contractions I could hold as you can see the longest I held them for was 1:20. This is sad because I didnt even hyperventilate.

I will try some dry ones tommorow with LOTS of hyperventilation.

cheers

heartbeat

Thanks Eric. How wrong can one be? All this time, I presumed that the heart had to slow for a good static. In a one hour session, I don't remember seeing anything over 80. Let me check on this a little more.
Aloha
Bill

Co2 tables.

Please explain co2 tables. Ive never used them. Are they good for training only or also for a warmup prep for a max effort in comp?

Thanks
Skndiver.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT