• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How often do you train statics?

• I dont train, im a natural talent!!

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • once a month

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • once a week

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • three times a week

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Every day

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Twice a day

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • more

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I think that the training frecuency depends on your goals.
If you are just trying to "keep in shape", maybe just 1-2 times a week are enough.
But if you are training for a competition or record attempt you have to train daily around 1 month before the D day

I think youre right. At a period I used to train daily, until I got sick... I need some advice to keep healthy and not getting sick every now and then. It ruins my performance. Any tips on nutrition to keep my immune system up...:confused:

Reactions: sammydive and thud
I believe for me that doing statics ever day makes me much more susceptible to sickness. I think it runs me down and lowers my immune system. My max seems to be about 5 days a week with 3 days a week of dynamic walks or diving. That puts me right on the edge of be able to recover.

It’s amazing how a little cold will negatively affect my O2% on the pulse/oximeter. I have reasoned from this that the body needs and uses a lot of O2 when fighting an infection. Because of this logic, I don’t do any statics anymore when I am fighting a cold.
don

Do a search on nutrition on this site - there are some excellent tips. If you are really committed then my advice is what I call a 'hyperthyroid freediving diet':

- Cut out alcohol, caffeine & MSG products
- Cut out all simple sugars (use honey and dried fruit as a substitute)
- Reduce SFA intake & dairy products
- Increase protein intake - eat a good variety (fish for w3FAs, red meat for haem and chicken breast for quality muscle fibre.
- Take iron and antioxidant supplementation
- Regulate eating times (e.g early in the morning, noon, 4 hours before bed) and sleeping times.

N.B. Honey that is manufactured locally will have natural antibiotics specific to the region. My mother has an amazing recipe for a chocolate cake using beetroot, olive oil, honey, cocoa
and flour. Moist delicious and healthy!

Hey Will, thank you for posting this interesting diet. unfortunetly, this diet is not all clear to me (though some of it is very clear). So, here's a small questionaire:):

-Why is it called 'hyperthyroid freediving diet'? I fail to see the relevance to the food, or why should freedivers would want a hyperthyroid diet...(better immune system?)
-What's the relevance of MSG (monosodium glutomate, right?) to the diat? exept that it's unnatural and not of best taste?
-The only SFA I know are Super Furry Animals:D, what did you mean?
-w3FAs? something with the essential fatty acids fish have? like omega 3 (or whatever it is)?
-Why chicken breast helps for quality muscle fiber more than any other meat?
-I thought that honey and fruits are still considered simple sugars, even though they have lotsa other good traits...
-Last one - I'm intruiged, recipe please. :D (could something good can actualy come out of beetroot?)

10x!

Last edited:
Will,

Can you go more in deoth into the eating and sleeping times?

I would also be interested in the recipe.;)

Jon

- Hyperthyroid is what I call it, as it allows the thyroids to normalise blood sugar levels, rather than supplying artificial boosts (e.g. from sugary foods). The idea is that when you take away the imposed energy your body gets back into the habit of regulating energy itself (Homo sapiens isn’t designed to run on ‘high octane’ glucose). After a few months of this diet you will find that energy levels are more consistent throughout the day, and there will be a better natural response to exercise, especially freediving.
- I have a personal prejudice against MSG, but I believe there is a lot of concern over its long term effects, especially on the heart.
SFA is saturated fatty acid. The general rule is if it’s solid at room temperature then its saturated (unhealthy unless you’re Atkin) whereas if its liquid then it’s probably unsaturated (e.g. olive oil, cod liver oil etc). SFAs increase cholesterol in the blood (interestingly enough cholesterol itself doesn’t increase blood cholesterol, although it has other detrimental effects, and is usually associated with SFAs).
- ù is the Greek symbol for omega.
- Chicken Breast is 100% quick twitch fibre. Most freediving training models are designed around building quick twitch muscles for anaerobic exertion. Also chicken breast (sans skin) is very low in SFAs (compared to red meats).
- Honey (especially unprocessed) and fruits contain mostly fructose, which is a disaccharide. The glucose that is in sweets and all American food is a monosaccharide. The difference is that glucose is absorbed very quickly, giving a peak of blood sugar that quickly dissipates, whereas fructose provides a more prolonged and consistent energy source.

The benefits of regulating eating and sleeping times are just as great as those of a healthy diet. If meals are at a particular time of the day then the body knows to produce digestive enzymes at those times. The same applies for sleep – the body adapts biorhythms and energy levels to the schedule.
In my experience sleep duration is not as important as consistency and quality. REM (dream) sleep is the only important stuff. An experiment was done where one group was woken every time they reached REM sleep, but slept for the same overall time as another group that weren’t interrupted. The first group showed symptoms of sleep withdrawal – they behaved as if they hadn’t had any sleep at all, while the second group was bright eyed and bushy tailed. (NB. if you can’t remember your dream that doesn’t mean that you haven’t been REMing – we only remember dreams we wake up in the middle of. So siestas – which don’t usually reach REM – aren’t that beneficial, and are usually more a sign that you overate for lunch).
Sleep consistency means keeping the same hours and duration. Sleep-ins can be just as bad as late nights.
Your brain is more active during sleep than when you are awake (and it needs to be). However it is disrupted by a heavy meal in the gut, so try and stop eating at least 3 hours before bedtime.

I will try and get hold of the chocolate cake recipe off my mother. It doesn’t taste of beetroot at all (if you give some to friends they will never guess the secret ingredient).

Reactions: Jon
Will,
Very interesting points. You know a lot about physiology! One thing I never imagined when signing on to DeeperBlue was that there was going to be so much information on the subject.

I have a question about brain functioning during sleep though. My impression is that the body's metabolism drops during sleep because there is less O2 cosumption while we are asleep, and that the brain is more in a "restful state" as we are not actively conscious during most of the night. Wouldn't a more active brain result in a greater metabolism and more O2 consumption? This is what we experience during statics: more relaxed and quiet mind equates with a reduction in metabolism and less O2 consumption. Otherwise how would the body recover and rest during sleep? Following that premise it would seem that we should be more tired after sleeping than before! zzz

Maybe the nightly greater brain activity in the research (I'm supposing that this has been researched) refers to short-lived "activity spikes" (for lack of a better word) during REM, but that the brain, over the whole of the night has generally less activity and that this allows for the accumulation of restfullness?

Someone likened trying to learn about how the brain works is like hanging a microphone over New York City at night and figureing out what is going on in the city by listening to the sounds. And when you start factoring in things like ESP and higher states of consciousness, the whole thing goes off the scale!

Adrian

Nice analogy Adrian. You can also prove it a priori:
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it then we would be so simple that we couldn't...

You would have to ask a neurologist to get the broader picture re. REM. However as I understand its purpose is to organise the thoughts and emotions of the day, cataloguing them as memories: 'tidying up the office' as it were. Brain chemicals and neuron proteins are also restored to appropriate levels, giving the feeling of rejuvenation.
O2 consumption does increase during REM, as does heartrate (greatest risk of cardiac arrest during this period). Eric Fattah was mentioning something about brain waves that are particular to both meditation and sleep, but I think this may relate only to pre-REM 'drowsy' sleep. However overall metabolic rate may actually decrease during REM as the brain deserts the body completely (even abandoning temperature regulation).

I'm not a natural tallent but I have only timed myself twice this year :/

Very interesting post indeed, i mostly eat pasta (hey I am a student I am skint!) would that be mostly carbonhydrates? And is it good or bad for apnea? Another thing about being sick, I got a cold, but yesterday I did 3mins and I can see now I'ts getting worse...!

Originally posted by Will
That came out wrong in the cutting and pasting - the ù should be a curly w.

Yeah man you said it the other way around, w represents the Greek omega or ω.

Freediving puts your body into a state of acidosis, causing muscular atrophy. You can counter this effect by eating a lot of protein. 250g of quality mincemeat with your pasta and tuna fish samwidges for lunch should satisfy this requirement.
Since apnea (or rather the first breath afterwards) generates a large amount of free radicals, you need to be eating antioxidants to mop these up. Antioxidants come in fresh (and preferably uncooked) fruit and vegetables.
Carb foods are a good energy source, but lacking in the above regenerative nutrients. However swiss muesli (no added sugar, untoasted, lots of dried fruit) is one of the best breakfasts you can get.
When I was on a budget I used to scoff a packet of raisins a day - great energy source and packed with nutrients.

I have noticed the same detriment to performance after a cold. My only guesses are increased lymphocytes in blood and a faster metabolism...

Originally posted by Will
Freediving puts your body into a state of acidosis, causing muscular atrophy. You can counter this effect by eating a lot of protein.
Hmm, I didn't know proteins can counter this effect. They just counter the muscle antrophy? or do they actually help change the PH in blood and tissue? I was under the impression that proteins makes you become more acidic....
Where do you get all this good stuff from, Will? :)

I am not overly informed with the acidity debate... Meats are acidic (although chicken and most fish are almost neutral), however no matter the diet I think extended hypoxia will always cause acidosis, meaning some amount of atrophy is inevitable. The high protein diet will hopefully balance this damage.
Where do you get all this good stuff from, Will?
Pelizzari's dietician made this recommendation.

I train 2-3 times every day, I do have a cold atm but I manage to increase every day. Managed to increase my time with about 30 sec just today!

Originally posted by nVy
I train 2-3 times every day, I do have a cold atm but I manage to increase every day. Managed to increase my time with about 30 sec just today!

If u manage to increase everyday, you cant have been training for a long time... I used to increase everyday too, my PB is only on 4:30, but im increasing aprox 15 seconds every second day, well at least its my goal.. But I feel that after a break I manage to do a better breathhold than i would have training 2 or 1 times a day.. Whats your PB? Im 17

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT