• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How often do you train statics?

• I dont train, im a natural talent!!

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • once a month

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • once a week

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • three times a week

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Every day

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Twice a day

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • more

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I train most days, and have done so for some time with no bad effects. I have a reasonably healthy diet and try to keep fit, but maybe I should try to find out more about these things. Doing lots of statics doesn't seem to cause any problems for me - I'll keep you posted on anything that happens.

Lucia

HI folks, I hope I don't spoil you dayly fun of breaking you static records, but there's a limit to it.

I've talked to quiet some freedivers here in the Netherlands and I think many of them are pushing static to often and too hard.
They al seem to make steady progress until the breaking point. After this peak the performance levels out, or sinks back in. Initially they don't understand, and just countiou, try harder etc. to no avail. The Previous National record holder here did his 6:16 just 3 weeks ago, but couldn't get past the 5:07 in the national championship.
A friend, a studend medicine and my instructor has written a Column about this Static Burnout Syndrome as he would like to call it. A good read I think: http://www.apnea.nl/UK-Columnwk4.htm

I'm now the current Dutch record holder Static and Dutch Pool Freedive champion. I tend to think static is more like a growing thing then, and growing gradually is better. There's just much more to it then just tables, special diets etc. The best training is when you've learned something, gained a new insight, learned a new feeling etc. Doing a PB is not learnig, it's using the learned things. I say only try for a max once or twice a month when you feel like it.

I'm now at 6:19, that's my NR and PB done shiffering in a cold competition bath. And I'll go back to the 1:30 Co2 tables to improve on the first 'no contraction' fase.

Feel free to mail me, and to visit my website, I just love the comments in my questbook!

Keep on dreaming,

Kars.

Reactions: donmoore
Although I train statics most days unless I have too many other things to do, I don't try for a PB every time! I try to aim for a time which I can usually do without too much trouble. This means that I don't push myself too hard and I am happy with the results.

Lucia

Just curious naiad, staying in a comfortable and enjoyable zone in jour training, are you satisfyied
with your progress? Still progressing?
I guess some people have to train harder/softer than others to achieve progress curve

Hi Kars,
Despite the high personal interest in the subject..
the link about 'training beyond your limits' isn't working!!
Do you have another copy in other location?
Also, could you explain a little further your 1:30 CO2 table? rest times, hold times... RESULTS, etc :)
My main focus has been always to prolong the 'easy phase' and training near its end (walking apnea, statics, apnea running). Think that O2 training is more psychological and thus, psychological tiring.. what do you think about this?

Cheers,

Oscar

Hi Oscar,
I didn't mean that I always stay well within my limits - the times I do are often very difficult, but I don't try for a PB most times. It seems to be better to aim for a time which I can normally manage than to try to do a PB every time and get disappointed, as it is impossible to be better each time!

I am still progressing, but there are major problems with my statics in the pool and I am working on them at the moment.

Cheers,

Lucia

Sorry for the misunderstanding Lucia,
Crappy mondays at the office and deeperblue browsing don't
mix well! ;)

Problems with the pool statics?

Maybe you'll find relief in leaving the watch on the shore?

I've made myself a different schedule to do the O2.

2 min preperation, a 50% effort breathhold,
2 min recovery, a 50% effort breathhold,
2 min recovery, a 70% effort breathhold,
2 min recovery, a 90% effort breathhold,
2 min recovery, a 90% effort breathhold

By the "effort" I mean I come up with the Feeling that I've got the remain percentage (50,50,30,10,10) left.
I let my buddy write down the times, but only look at them after the last BH, one may even choose to have only comments about style, and just a word of comparison to last time's training.

The benefits I've found in this kind of thaining:

- The focus is on feeling, learninge one's body.
- The training's difficulty is every time the same, no more bad days.
- It kept me of doing a max, or thinking of time, liberating me from the time very much.

Maybe this helps, when you try, let me know your findings.

I'm also very intrested in your "major problem" explain further!

Keep on dreaming,
Kars

Link is restored. By the way, it only describes an short version of the hypothesis around Static Burn Out syndrome. Work is in progress behind the scénes on this topic.

Kind Regards,

Rik

Thanks Rik for the link being restored. Your 1:30 'easy phase' static table is just 1:30 hold
with decreasing rest times?

Cheers

Indeed BlueIcarus, just 1:30, maybe I'll up it a bit over time.
I need to find the slow HR back and have divereflex kick in fast and it should stay in without big effort or concentration.

Nowaday's contractions start already at ~ 2:40 and on a good day arround 3:30, so my body is working from then on to the end. In case of the 6:19, for about 3' of contractions. Happily for me the contractions have evolved into some kind of rolling of the belly, instead of the fast ones I used to have. this makes them easy to ignore and to let them pass while leaving the rest relaxed.
With the building up of the easy fase I try to make it longer with lesser energy consumed. Like I've written before I do only little static training in a week, once ore twice and now I'm upping it to 3 times a week, one O2 and two Co2 tables.
I also do a lot of cycling, with a HR of 160 breathing slowly through the nose (3sec in-3 out or 4-4) concentrating of doing pure efficient movement and relaxing the unused parts (upper body) of my body while cycling with high rpm's.

I was planning going to Spain in Late August to have some freediving in the area of Barcelona, I would like to meet some DB members and share some time in the Big Blue together.
Everyone is invited!

Kars,
I've sent you a PM. Maybe we can organize something around my area, just an hour and a half north of Barcelona.

Adrian

Hi Kars,
Thanks for sharing the info. Last Wednesday I did my first O2 table of the season (I know, too late yes :) ) and set up new PB!!
4 min 30''. I didn't pushed it but felt like I could do 5 min or so.
It was suposed to be a 90% hold on the base of 4:00 wich was suposed to be my max hold time. In fact, contractions came at 3 min 30''. The trick was forget about time and just look at my HR
to stay around 40 bpms. It worked real well and taught me how to stay relaxed 'in the zone'. I'm amazed how silly i have been all this time for not trying to control my HR with a HR meter :)
Also, 1 hour of yoga and pranayama before should have helped hehe

If you come, you can go up to Costa Brava, around 1h 30 min from Barcelona by car. Better waters and a Natural Reserve there,
Illes Medes'. My holidays are in July, but sure you'll find some freedivers in that area.

Cheers,

Oscar

Oh boy it's really getting cozy here! Jummie!

Why not team up with al four of us? My friend Mike, I, Oscar and Adrian?

Mike and I were planning on going late August, but that's not set in stone. Before reading this I've PM-ed Adrian back.

I'm very happy to hear it works for you too Oscar. I know it's a bit off to what's the common practice with schedules and stuff, but man isn't a machine that can follow the clock the same way every time. And it works very well for you doing a PB on the first O2 of the season,wow! The yoga before has certainly something to do with the good performance. It prepares and streches the body resulting in better handeling of the contractions etc. Also the breathing brings your body in tune, and in focus. I always stretch before a training, doing Parts of the Yoga sungreating exersize.

Keep us posted with you progress, maybe you become a 5+ level guy in about 2 weeks! But beware take it easy on BH training, it's easy to overtrain and exaust your mind and body. Continiou to focus on technique, you're doing great!

Love and Peace,

Kars.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT