• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stop shivering and get cold! (especially for Naiad)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Very interesting. I've got some cold water diving coming up next year; this could be real useful.

One worry. If this stuff is cranking up your liver metabolism to such extreme levels that the heat produced is enough to keep you warm, what is that doing to the liver?

Connor

That is what I am concerned about. I may try the flaxseed oil or fish oil (I already take fish oil supplements), but the other things like pyruvate and garcinia sound a bit more risky.

The MCT oil would be the thing to try by itself - or just RAW coconut oil if you are really nervous. If you read up on the garcinia, pyruvate etc. what they basically do is facilitate fat metabolism. One of them - I think L-Carnitine, is used for people who have compromised liver function.

The MCT oil is the fuel and all Medium Chain Triglycerides are are fats that digest super easily and do not deposit in the body. Its a way of preventing the body from burning into your reserves. MCT oil is given to severely injured people in hospitals because it provides a lot of energy while requiring minimum energy to digest - thus leaving it free to focus on healing. It comes from coconut oil.

I plan to continue using the combo for winter dives - once or twice a week - but all the pyruvate etc. are also used in weight loss formulas so I'd be careful if you are already short on body fat.

Last edited:
The coconut oil sounds good. I wouldn't use the others because I am already short on body fat.

It's awesome tasting - but be sure you get raw coconut oil.
However - I've found the pure MCT oil is more effective.

Okay, weekend before last I went out in my 5 mil suit - my six had a whole in the armpit; which feels very strange in 38F water.
I focused mostly on monofin sprints varying between speed and endurance. Breathe ups were short as were the dives. I was in about 2 hours and never got past the very beginings of a chill. Its' like a planed out at that point and just hovered there the whole time. No shivering.

Yesterday I went out in my now-repaired 6 mil top with 5 mil bottoms. Same profile and I never even got cold. I had so much reserve warmth that I took my suit off on the unheated back porch.

This with about a tablespoon of MCT and 3 hits of 'dietplex' on top of some oatmeal with raw coconut oil an hot ginger tea.

Though I am exerting fairly heavily, and focused on working out a little and staying warm, this is pretty amazing for 39f water.

Mart, thanks for putting the link on this thread. :)
That looks like a good idea for me, as nothing else has worked so far.

About an hour - two for the oatmeal. It seems to help for sure. What also helps is really kicking it before you get out.
I'm not diving FRC - or even doing any passive dives so exertion is definitely a factor. I am also less tired afterward. I have also observed that endurance improves with many dives. I think the phenomenon Eric noticed in this regard may be due to the fact that he is able to stay in longer and let his body adjust to diving. I know normally my times are best when lightly chilled - they go down when I start to shiver. With no shivering I'd hypothesize the adjustment can go deeper with a longer improvement curve.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT