• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Stormy days at AIDA?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have very little knowledge of the inner workings of AIDA except what is in this thread. And I do not know any of the people being discussed or their specific roles so I will not comment on any personal matters. In fact I think we should move on from blaming people for things that have happened and focus on the future, but it is always important to learn from past mistakes. These are my thoughts:

If a vote of no-confidence is raised and seconded by board members, there should be a vote as soon as possible. Statutes should exist to clearly define the process for a vote of no confidence - and any other subject. For example, what scale of vote should be required for different matters? ie voting by board members, or by national, continental, or all AIDA members? (sorry I do not know the structure well)

Any matter that is raised by any AIDA member and seconded by another AIDA member must be put forward for discussion and vote at some level.

The "top" position should not be "President" because that implies direct personal power over others. Instead there should be a Chair Person whose main job is to ensure the smooth functioning of the board, and to ensure the smooth flow of board / committee meetings.

Meetings should be held regularly (monthly?) where all matters raised by members can be discussed to form the agenda for the next meeting. Minutes should be made of all meetings and these minutes should be available for anyone to view online before the next meeting and vote. Meetings do not need to happen in specific physical locations; we have the technology to meet without making a huge carbon footprint.

On the subject of the environment, we freedivers try to portray an image of being environmental activists, yet many of us have massive carbon footprints, frequently jetting all over the world. This is a subject which needs attention as a matter of priority. If we are to save our oceans and our planet then every day every flight, every car journey, every product made and purchased must have a good reason for it, and statutes should exist to guide the organisation and its members on their environmental responsibilities. I will leave that subject for others to expand upon, but I think it needs to be at the forefront of our thoughts as we decide on the structure and statutes of the "new AIDA".

My mind has gone blank so I'll leave it there.

Reactions: samdive
On the subject of the environment, we freedivers try to portray an image of being environmental activists, yet many of us have massive carbon footprints, frequently jetting all over the world. This is a subject which needs attention as a matter of priority. If we are to save our oceans and our planet then every day every flight, every car journey, every product made and purchased must have a good reason for it, and statutes should exist to guide the organisation and its members on their environmental responsibilities. I will leave that subject for others to expand upon, but I think it needs to be at the forefront of our thoughts as we decide on the structure and statutes of the "new AIDA".
This is nothing that has been actively discussed. There are more urgent matters to solve right now, but as soon as the smog clears I think this could be an issue to actively discuss - maybe something for a possible new position "science/medic" on the board. What practicly could be done to make Aida competition/records and education activities more environmentally friendly?

Reactions: apneaboy
Personally I like the term "chairperson" that Colinox suggested.
It might help with perspective. It suggests to me that the chairperson does not have to carry the entire weight of governing, and at the same time, that the chairperson is not allowed to take that power.
It also is more democratic, a basic underpinning for AIDA.

OK, the WC is now over, so let's discuss and resolve the problems at AIDA that seem not to get any better.

I understood the hesitation of people to participate on the debate before the WC. First of all, many of us were preparing for it, and second you probably did not want to stir up the mud before the WC to avoid complication with the competition. However now it is time to get involved, to get informed, and to request decisions and changes if necessary.

I know that many of you simply do not care, and just want to dive, train, or compete, and let the politicians to do the dirty politics. I understand it to some extent too, but can assure you that it is neither correct nor wise. By showing no interest in the actions of the executives, you show them they can do whatever they want. In consequence, excellent, active, wise, and efficient people are leaving their positions, and their posts remain either vacant or occupied by people without interest, and not doing anything (or not enough) for the development of freediving.

So I am afraid that without active participation of the broad AIDA membership, without open discussion about the recent (and not so recent) problems, without critics, and without demands, we cannot expect having a healthy leadership, and functional association. There is still so much that must be done to improve the association, that we cannot afford losing good people in the management as it happens in the last months.

So please move your ass, get informed, and get involved! Some information can be found in this thread, more of it is available in this thread in AIDA's forum: AIDA International, and some new information for example also here: open discussion - AIDA International
The first AIDA thread may be unavailable for forum members who are not assigned AIDA members in the same time. If it is your case, please request the full access from the AIDA forum administrator (or post it here - perhaps an AIDA moderator is watching here too). I believe the other thread is publicly accessible. You should also try getting some information from people who may be better in picture about the situation, and from your national AIDA leadership.

And please post your opinions both here and on AIDA's forum! Let your voice be heard! The people who are frustrated and leaving the board, as well the people remaining there, desperately need your support. They need to know their struggle has some sense, and that they do not work just for a herd of inert sheep who do not care about anything what is happening with them. They need to hear appreciation of their work, as well as they need to hear the critics when they do something wrong. Without the feedback, we cannot expect a lot. So please participate!

EDIT: BTW, after Pim, it looks like also Grant has resigned from the Executive Board, although originally he resigned only from the Technical Commission. However, despite having resigned from the Board, both of them participated actively on the organisation of the WC in Aarhus.

Last edited:
I know that many of you simply do not care, and just want to dive, train, or compete, and let the politicians to do the dirty politics.
So please move your ass, get informed, and get involved!
You are right of course, and thanks to you I just registered to the AIDA forum and have started reading some.

Aaaah good that this thread is sort of kept alive.

As Jorg says "Strange thing is that everybody is so quiet about it".

Let me add what I know.

The assembly is working. 17 nations are more or less active.
There has been some work on new statutes.

Problem: no one has the authority to act. The board is dissolved. And the decision to do statutes before a new board might sound wise, but not practical. Nagel and BS pushed this through as a last act of the dying board.

Now it is more or less decided that a new board should be elected first (hard to know what the assembly decides, since the interim boar (read BS) has no right to demand votes.

There is an initiative for a new board. People will step forward.

Aida will be resurrected. The 17 active nations in the assembly will see to that. (Thank you: NZ; FRA; SWE; AUSTRALIA; USA; NORWAY; GERMANY;SERBIA; GREECE; DENMARK; FINLAND; ARGENTINA;SWISS;CROATIA; BRAZIL; CANADA; FRANCE).

THANK YOU!

It is time to get ready to step forward. We need people working in the commissions and on the board. The new statutes will see to that there will be less chances for power abuse. Spread power between bopard, assembly, commissons, Working within Aida WILL be more fun and creative.

In order to make sure that some individuals will not try to push through "weak" statutes (meaning: unclear and not rooted in the assembly) a few countries have got together and will push in essential votes in the assembly. I will post these issues here soon.

Sebastian
AidaSweden

PS http://freediving.biz/features/aidaissues.html

Last edited:
Hi All,

Right now all focus is on AIDA WC in Bahamas, this because we have to fix this first to ensure that our competitors do not throw thousands of euros into the lake. Directly after that there will be a vote about how many executive board members AIDA should have (incl board functions). That will be followed by executive board applications from people who have the fire, time, motivation and are ready to work with any other that will be elected for the board. Right now it looks like there is a majority for 9 executive board functions. (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Education Officer, Technical Officer, Sportive Officer, Medical and Science Officer and last Media and PR Officer. After this the new board can end the work with the new AIDA statutes and send it out to the AIDA Assembly for approval.

Regarding Ranking - we just got a new official offer from the people behind Freedive Central that is VERY interesting. This will probably solve the problems we had earlier and get the ranking to bloom.

I am sorry for all hassles and time-consuming things around all this. But when you have many people involved in decision-taking, things take time. As a consolation, I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel and it looks very bright!

have a nice week
/B

ps. before electing a new executive board, you have to know how many board functions you will have - and this decisions must be taken by the assembly before you elect a new board. (this is one of the many reason why everything takes time)

Well positive vibrations going around here, nice, keep it up!

Like I suggested before, share the burden of the heavy jobs over more people.
Have clear goals, schedules with some room for improvisation and personal input.

I think communication is very important, it helps to avoid misunderstandings.
Writing unfortunately is for many non native English speakers a challenging endeavour, relating feelings in writing is difficult and even more so in a foreign language. Phone, voice over internet, meetings are much better in those instances where the communication are not merely relaying data and orders.

Some extra awards for good work can also make a job much more rewarding.

Thanks for informing us here!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Re: Perception and agenda setting

Directly after that there will be a vote about how many executive board members AIDA should have (incl board functions). That will be followed by executive board applications from people who have the fire, time, motivation
Maybe. After that 9 countries have demanded to see the annual reports AND bank statements. We can not elect a new board if we dont know what the old board have been doing. The board is accountable before the assembly.

It seem like Aida has funds of over 50.000 euro? Aida has NO auditors.
Things these nine countries want to know is for instance what does 3800 euro general diverse expenses consist of e t c

After this the new board can end the work with the new AIDA statutes and send it out to the AIDA Assembly for approval.
Or have the nationals in the assembly take actively part in shaping these on a more detailed level through votes.

Regarding Ranking - we just got a new official offer from the people behind Freedive Central that is VERY interesting.
We? Who got it? Official? Show it to the assembly.
The board has been dissolved. Assembly had no faith in the EB. Are you still taking decisions alone in the board?

New offer? The offer has been there all the time. It has always been intresting.
Why not have the next board take a decision after they have researched ALL options.

I am sorry for all hassles and time-consuming things around all this.
You should have accepted the "vote of no confidence" against you. Much less hassle would probably have been the result.

As a consolation, I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel and it looks very bright!
Indeed it does. For Aida.

Dear Sebastien,

Mr Nagel is the AIDA Treasurer and he will send out the info you asking for. I have no ideas how it works with old annual reports that already have been approved, but I guess Mr. Nagel can give you that info as well.

About the ranking and the new offer: Yes, it is a new offer. And Yes again, the new AIDA Board will be the one who takes the final decision about this.

And then you tell me that I should accepted the "vote of no confidence" against me. You must go back and read what happen in that case - why should I who was ultimately responsible say ok for something that is directly against our statutes and against the Swizz law we are working under? I was not the one finding out it was illegal but when we had the fact that it was, I had to officially stop that action. But I also told the rest of the board that they could continue voting if they so wished - and this info was in the same mail.

Sebastian, you if someone should know that the road of "less hassle" is in many case not the way to go if you like to find solutions that last longer than just around the corner. Democracy is a necessity, but mixing it with anarchy creates a spiraling road of confusion - when there are written rules, we can at least try to follow these.

/B

Democracy is a necessity, but mixing it with anarchy creates a spiraling road of confusion - when there are written rules, we can at least try to follow these./B

Bill is this realy you writting about democracy, did you had a sniff or two of something? rofl <no further comments>

perception

Mr Nagel is the AIDA Treasurer and he will send out the info you asking for. I have no ideas how it works with old annual reports that already have been approved
I am not asking for it. 10 nationals are asking for it. And not only that, we want the details. We can not accept post like 3800 euro diverse general.
Aida has 50.000 euro + (?) and NO auditors. And no annual report for 2008.
And the reports have not been approved, that is done with votes.

AidaCanada
AidaArgentina
AidaAustralia
AidaDenmark
AidaFinland
AidaNewZealand
AidaGreece
AidaSweden
AidaUkraina
AidaJapan

Democracy is a necessity, but mixing it with anarchy creates a spiraling road of confusion - when there are written rules, we can at least try to follow these.
You Bill, are at the center of the spiraling storm of anarchy. Standing there in the calm center juggling the rules like an illusionist. Quite skillful actually.

Sebastian

Hi again Sebastien,

You blame me - but juggling the rules I don't. What I do try is to hold the pieces together until we have a new board. When it comes to older annual reports, you and the 10 national aida's have to ask the AIDA Treasurer. He have already give all details once on everything and he will do it again I hope. No auditors is no news, this have been so since year 2000. The assembly have worked as the auditors when we didn't get anyone to do the job.

/B

47984964.jpg

Although I'm not an insider I would like to say that wc aarhus is just an example of how good AIDA can work when everyone complies together but I think in near future AIDA could do more than just comps and records (I know it did but should do even more)

It?s good that to see a community open for helthy discussion and outsiders help and opinions

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT