• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Streaming video?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

iceselkie

where did the summer go?
Jun 27, 2003
Hi! Best wishes to all competitors and participants! my question is this: any streaming video avail? I'm so hugely dissapointed that I live so close, yet so far away...! I'm moving to BC in Sept, but I will miss the competitions.

Brianna,

There won't be any live streaming video but I can confirm that the organisers will be providing a clip of each dive 12 hours after each performance. These clips will be only online for a short period.

There will also be a DVD of the event being sold after the competition.

Cheers!

Ah! tell me more about that DVD- what will be featured on it? Where will the clips be? THANKS :D

Three more videos and more coming!

I have just posted links to three more of Goh's video clips. These are from the two training days before Static and Dynamic. One of the clips has footage of Dave King and Annabel Briseno with the beluga whales at the Vancouver Aquarium.

There will be video clips from the Static and Dynamic days very soon.

Tom Lightfoot
Webmaster
www.aidaworlds2004.com

Tom, those videos MUST be on streaming?
For north america, and probably some parts of europe it may be ok, but where I am, streaming from the rest of the world is sometimes a problem. I have ADSL with 750kbs down and 64kbps up (if I remember correct, around 80down/12up kps), yet some of the streaming I can't really get right, sometimes I get only sound and what I guess is key-frames, so it looks like the clip was made from a bad slideshow with music, sometimes I get it ok, but have to stop in the middle and rewind a bit so it'll start buffering again otherwise I won't be able to make out what I'm watching.
And that's after I set the beffering to maximum on my media player...

Ofcourse I can watch it on dial-up quality, but that's crap. :)
And I know that if I had a REAL dial-up, I would'nt be able to watch it at all.

I'm not sure if it's a 'ping' problem or just a bottle-neck between continents, but this makes me opt for d/ling everything and it'll probably take less time than buffering as well.
Is it a matter of rights or what?
I can't see how "releasing" those clips could hurt anyone, not that it isn't impossible to save them anyway if it was worth the bother...

I hope you're the right man to ask this for, if not, then I'm sorry for the technobabble... :)

Hello Michael,

I'm afraid at this stage it MUST be streamed. We don't have nearly enough space and bandwidth on the main site to store all of the video so we're using a separate service for the streaming.

Your complaint has come up before with Mandy and Martin's record attempts in Cayman earlier this year. The suggested solution was to increase the buffering on your player to 30 seconds or a minute. Also be sure to be using the latest codec for the Media Player.

Of course we will be selling DVDs of the event very soon and at $35CDN plus shipping it's hard to beat. I think you'll be able to get the DVDs here via DeeperBlue as well.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom. I had that same problem with the record attempt vids as well.
My mediaplayer is set to max. buffering and my codecs are uptodate.
Will have to live with that I guess. :)

Can I pose a question about the first clip here? What music did Goh use? Sounds nice! Thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT