• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Support the completion of The Greater meaning of Water

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Did you support this fund raise? (Be honest now, will ya?)

• Yes, with USD 501+

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes, with between USD 251 to 500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, with between USD 101 to 250

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes, with between USD 51 to 100

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Yes, with up to USD 50

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Hey All,

In for another daily update on the Greater Meaning of Water. Sky and I have been taking shifts recapturing footage. I crashed on his couch last night and set my watch to wake me up every hour and change out the HDV tapes in the deck for recapture. We are on hour 16 now, once we hit hour 25 we will be finished with recapture.

Sky and I took a break today to go have a swim while we were between tapes, so we had about an hour to go kick around in the pool. He and I were just sitting around on the bottom blowing bubbles when we saw an instructor with of the youngest students I have ever seen get into the pool for her first swimming lessons. Sky and I surfaced and watched as this little tadpool begin her addictions with the medium we all love so much. No styrofoam floaters, no fins, she was just sporting a pair of bright pink goggles. We watched her for about 10 minutes as she listened and did everything her instructor showed and told her to do, she was amazing in the water. She had no fear, no anxiety, no regrets. She just dove in and let go. Our instincts thrive in the water. We just have to let go.

Sky and I will start the re edit tomorrow. I will post more pics soon.

thanks againf or all the support guys!

Hey Guys,

It has been a couple days since I updated you all on the film progress, we have made some excellent progress and I wanted to share it with you all.

For any of you who saw the rough cut we screened in San Diego in April of last year we expanded on the good stuff. The film now includes a scene from stingray city in Grand Cayman that makes me want to buy a plane ticket right now and fly out there again. The voice over work is going well and will add a much more full feeling to the film, bridging alot of plot gaps and helping the viewer to get into the lead characters head space. I am rendering the video right now for the final dive as I write this.

Sky and his wife and I all went out to the movies a couple nights ago to get away from editing for a couple hours. We saw TRANSFORMERS, now, before you start verbally abusing my for seeing a film like that when we are editing a film that moves in a totally different direction, hear me out... I realized something very interesting while watching it. The reason I went to see the film was to watch giant robots in a battle royale, crushing buildings, cars, and the occasional pedestrian. And that is what i got. I wanted giant robots tearing eachother appart. And they delivered.

So, as a result we are trying to deliver the same things with our film. You are going in to see a freediving film, so we are going to squeeze as much diving, pool, and fish footage as we can into the film. And we have made the above water line stuff as much talk about the water as is possible.

Well, the rendering is finished so I am going back to it.

I hope you all are as exited about the completion as we are.

JFW out

Hey Wes,

Thank you so much for the invite. You have no Idea how much I want to head that way, I have buddies in Hillsboro, but I will be heading back to Colorado Aug 1st, plus all my freediving gear is back at my place. I didnt figure I would have any time for diving while here. Just kicking around the pool a little bit. But again, thank you for the invite, Sky and I really appreciate the offer.

I do have a bit more news on the film as well, we had a crazy day yesterday and didnt get a whole lot done other than some narrative writting for the Voice Over, but we did build a sound "booth" in a corner of Sky's house so we can get clean Audio for our finished mix. Now, i may freak you all out a little with the photo of our booth, but trust me, it works amazingly. It seals off all sound and keeps all reflective noises away as well. I call it the sound coffin rather than the booth. Better known as the cusion coffin as it is made out of cushions from the couch.

DSC_5258.jpg

DSC_5259.jpg

As of this morning, all of the Voice over work is done. We stayed up till about 4am getting good sound while the city is quiet. Today is an all edit day. Will give you another update tomorrow on progress

JFW out

Thanks for the update! Really looking forward seeing the movie. And good luck finishing/budgeting it!

Hey All,

First I wanted to give a personal thanks to REAL CARBON LLC for their donation to the GMW project.

Second I wanted to tell you all that Sky and I had some major breakthroughs over the last 24hours. We reworked 6 scenes last night, trimming some and adding to others. The Voice Over now adds so much more richness to the story, we are dancing in our seats we are so exited about the results. We managed to finish editing and run out of steam just after the sun came up this morning. Quite a feat since we started the editing marathon yesterday at about 3pm. We slept til about noon today and are waking up to do it again tonight. We have really genertated some good momentum here and are looking forward to delivering a very fun and introspective look into freediving and Sports on the elite level.

till next time, thanks again all, will post again soon.

DSC_5282.jpg

Sky working on scene assembly with GMW notes and flash cards, before we jumped into editing.

DSC_5290.jpg

Sky at the helm just after the sun came up. Pushing through the last scene of the evening...morning...whatever.

Thanks for the updates, keep up the great work guys!

Cheers,
Ben

Having seen the rough cut I'm really looking forward to what you guys do with the final version...all the best for the final days

Hi guys,
Good work on the film, I can't wait to see it. Forgive me if this might have already been mentioned, it has been a while since I have visited this forum but I just had a thought pop into my head regarding this film...

I don't know how far you are through with organizing duplication and distribution, but I wondered if you had considered the online service where paying customers pay full price and download films to burn to DVD, a legal servce.

This would certainly cut down on the cost of materials and labour of the manufacturing. There could also be environmental benifits somewhere along the line from this method.

Just a thought.
:)

Good luck!
Martin.

Hey Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

I think that is a very good idea and I have a feeling Sky and I may have a system like that out for customers to enter a credit card number and to download and burn a copy. However, not possible buyers are as computer savy as yourself. So I feel that having copies on hand to ship is a good idea as well.

Well, as far as updates, Sky and I finished a second rough final visual cut 2 nights ago and watched on a projector with no sound so we can check the visual aspects of the film and make certian there is a nice smooth flow to the film and plenty of breathing room between scenes. With the Voice overs now added, there needs to be even more padding between ideas as to allow the viewer to soak them in so we have been able to use alot of the shots we thought we didnt have time for before. Which now is going to make the new cut of the film over 1hr long. Now allowing us to enter this in as a full length feature at film festivals which will cause viewers to take the film more seriously as unfortunatley a short film or less than feature length film often is. Our previous cut was 44 min long we are now sitting at 1hr and may ad another minute or to by the time we add all of the the little shots here and there that we want in to smooth out the visual transgression of the film.

I sat at the editor yesterday for about 8 hrs ,then after showing sky my progress, we had a brainstorm session for another 2 hrs just trying to finalize the thoughts within the film and make certain all of the narrative continuity was present.

I will be leaving to head back to Colorado on the 1st of Aug, so we will be hammering very hard the next 4 days to make certain we have a completed and finalized visual cut ready by the end of my time here. We once back in Colorado, I can continue work on the foley and diagetic sound in the film as sky reconnects the sound from the dat tapes now that we have changed some of the takes in the film we need to add the correct sound. Also, Sky will be changing a bit of the music and adding more of the amazing work if Jeff Grienke.

I will update again soon, keep the faith.

Just keep swimming

JFW out

Hey Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

I think that is a very good idea and I have a feeling Sky and I may have a system like that out for customers to enter a credit card number and to download and burn a copy. However, not possible buyers are as computer savy as yourself. So I feel that having copies on hand to ship is a good idea as well.

Well, as far as updates, Sky and I finished a second rough final visual cut 2 nights ago and watched on a projector with no sound so we can check the visual aspects of the film and make certian there is a nice smooth flow to the film and plenty of breathing room between scenes. With the Voice overs now added, there needs to be even more padding between ideas as to allow the viewer to soak them in so we have been able to use alot of the shots we thought we didnt have time for before. Which now is going to make the new cut of the film over 1hr long. Now allowing us to enter this in as a full length feature at film festivals which will cause viewers to take the film more seriously as unfortunatley a short film or less than feature length film often is. Our previous cut was 44 min long we are now sitting at 1hr and may ad another minute or to by the time we add all of the the little shots here and there that we want in to smooth out the visual transgression of the film.

I sat at the editor yesterday for about 8 hrs ,then after showing sky my progress, we had a brainstorm session for another 2 hrs just trying to finalize the thoughts within the film and make certain all of the narrative continuity was present.

I will be leaving to head back to Colorado on the 1st of Aug, so we will be hammering very hard the next 4 days to make certain we have a completed and finalized visual cut ready by the end of my time here. We once back in Colorado, I can continue work on the foley and diagetic sound in the film as sky reconnects the sound from the dat tapes now that we have changed some of the takes in the film we need to add the correct sound. Also, Sky will be changing a bit of the music and adding more of the amazing work if Jeff Grienke.

I will update again soon, keep the faith.

Just keep swimming

JFW out

Great news to hear that the film is back on track. If you do go ahead with the "credit card and burn your own DVD" idea, I hope you'll also be selling the Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions - the imminent release of your film on Blu-ray is why I finaly bought a HDTV......!! (Would really like to see your work in the best possible quality!)
I had my name down on the pre-order list as soon as I heard about the film - I'd be happy to pay up front (ie. before the film is released). Perhaps if enough of us could do that it may help the finances a little?
All the best with the rest of your project.
Adrian

Hey Adrian,

Yes, we have been planning to release the film on and HD format since its production, that was the reason we chose to shoot on a 1080 camera. We have been waiting to see who wins the battle in the HD wars and it looks like Blue-Ray will be the winner, and we are really exited about that. Looks like Sony might finally actually win a media battle for once. We will up date you on our final choice once the film has been distributed.

Update,

Sky and I have just been fine cutting for the last few days, adding more transitional footage to give the film breathing room, as well as adding even more visuals to reference internal thought, conflict, and dreams. We took a break for a couple hours last night but wanted to stay in the same mind set so we rented the film PEACEFUL WARRIOR.

If any of you have not seen the film yet, drop what you are doing and go and rent or buy it right now!! This film is a Must SEE, it embodies so much of what the flow state for freediving trains, and there are parallels all over the place. It was also based on a true story. There was no Miyagi character in real life, but the author of the book did have late night conversations with a gentleman at a gas station he called Socrates. I will not give any spoilers, but I can say this film does a ton of stuff with only 5 locations. Excellent filmmaking.

After watching the film Sky and I have been really tying to trim our film in such a way as to cause the viewer to feel some of the same truisms of Peacful Warrior. Both films cris-cross one another in thought process so much its amazing. I didnt know there was an inde-film already covering this topic in such depth. Most films only dabble in the really cool stuff.

Anyhow, More fine cutting to do. Hope you all are doing well and wish us luck as we come to a close on the visual lock of the film, only 2 days left to finish.

I love sliding across the finish line with no time left on the clock.

JFW out

It's great to see how the work goes.
I'm another of those wainting for a movie to make its way to audience. :)

All quiet on the Westrern front...

Any more news, release date???

Info much appreciated

Any updates? can't Wait! If anyone knows the progress- expected release? ANYTHING?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT