• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swansea, Gower, South Wales Spearfishing.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

andrewhilton

Jul 23, 2023
Hi Everyone, I’m am very interested in starting my spearfishing journey but a little daunted at the same time. I live in Mumbles on the Gower Peninsula so I’m surrounded by beautiful coves and beaches. I’m nervous about trying this alown but can’t find any clubs or courses in the area. It would be great to find someone who could guide me though. Any thought and advice really welcome. I happy to travel if anyone knows of a clue in south wales. Andrew

Yes, be careful on Gower. I dived Oxwich Bay but the tide is powerful as soon as you turn the corner to leave bay. I broke a fin & tore my wet suit on rocks :(. Which stopped me diving around Mumbles, which was my main goal for the trip :/

BTW I knew a scuba diver/cave diver/climber who scuba dived from a boat off Gower. His anchor got stuck and he dived to free it - a near death experience I think :/. He survived to tell the tale :) but one of several epics I think ( as you might expect from cave diving! :( ).

BTW Most of my experience of Gower was from sea cliff climbing there, long before I took up spearfishing. ;)

BTW Gower is in the Bristol Channel, which I believe has the second largest tidal range in the world. Probably the reason that chap with the stuck anchor was so keen to free it quickly.

Be extra careful ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT