• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Swimming&Diving with Lunocet Monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can do something about the neck! I'm a Chiropractor! but, seriously, here is another video from my first day trying out the 2015 Pro Lunocet and my pectoral fin device, this time underwater. I got to use it again yesterday, but the pool was so cloudy that it was not possible to film as I could barely see the bottom and visibility was about 15 feet. They got the chemistry fouled up because something broke...shame, because my form has improved a lot since starting to swim with this. More later!

Nice one Doc! ...... And you actually were both swimmer and photographer?

That DOES look like the best version of yourself so far! Smooth and effective.

I'm thinking a learning tool for some with emerging talent but a long term crutch for myself.

yeah! Doc, really cool...
I´m a bit jealous! dont you have somebody who`s able to produce this?
in time?
It makes sence that you are more able to make better movements....
logical if the front of your body is stabilised by the fin...you have to have more power starting at the shoulders already...
should i give you my address?? how much should it cost? :)

Marco, stay tuned here for more! I'm still refining the design. I hope to make a 3d printed version of it that would be much more hydro and cooler, but that will take time. Next I'm going to remake the diagonal "wings" that the flukes attach to out of carbon fiber, and also perhaps the central part that everything attaches to. I have further plans to refine this idea and add more to it... Last time I swam I put 2 pins in the Lunocet 2015, and was able to go faster and push harder. May get more video tonight if the weather doesn't get too crazy and the pool is clear enough. Chip, should I add lights, for night swimming? Your LED tail has me thinking...

Reactions: Chipswim
If you need any CAD Support ,I´m here, able to do almost everything...
what might be nice, is if you find space between the arm editions (i do like them a lot!) for a small oxygen zylinder...
And of course for a lamp in front... quiet usefull if you swimm in lakes....

IMG_20150224_163943091_HDR.jpg
Doc?

For now I'm going to continue with the fin position at the hands. Looks like you are doing a beautiful job exploring the elbow area.

I see you've moved the flukes apart in your design. Based on your experience do you think I should experiment with separating the flukes as well?

I like the appearance while you are swimming of your pec fins dipping down and out instead of just level. It really displays an additional similarity to a dolphin!
3ce1cb9d840e881e4e165060a71ab419.jpg

I think I have to stay level because I'm seeking propulsion as well as stabilization.

I enjoyed the lights but even though the box says "waterproof".... they are not waterproof enough when submerged. They die after one use. I spent last night making two sets which should be more water proof.

I did get a kick out of the tubes of lights moving in a whip after the fin. I'm in touch with the inventor and manufacturer by email. If you'd like me to send you details write me chiplittlejohn@gmail.com and I'll share the fixes we are trying. Too boring for db so far.

There must be cool lights available that we could use that are truly waterproof but I've not discovered them yet.

Last edited:
Doc, all that's missing is a dorsal fin! ;)

Very interesting to watch, guys. I can't help but smile every time I see Chip swimming upside-down.

I'm working on the dorsal fin, but won't add one until it can serve a porpoise. Sorry, purpose...LOL. Marco, thanks for the offer! may take you up on it when my ideas are more completed. Chip, you could always use light sticks; just snap them and tie them or clip them on. Not as pretty as that glowing tail though! They do work for night visibility. I've thought of spearfishing right before dark and attaching one to the back end of my pole spear. With my pec fin setup I may be able to use the Lunocet to spearfish instead of longfins.

Great to see your inventor's gene firing! In the meanwhile I'm waiting for my suit to arrive from Germany, hopefully able to join that cold pool and also shoot some footage.

Getting back to the question of most preferable technique for luno: AA mentioned also the ankle flicks to sustain speed, I have experienced gradually smaller undulations after a kick, and there is that continuous kick style. So many variations.

I'm planning to take time & count movements during a 50m dive with different techniques to see what works best in terms of speed..but how to eliminate the O2 consumption as a factor? Just a gut feeling?

Last edited:
CO2 consumption is a result of exertion; kicking more often is not necessarily a negative if those kicks require less force. I can go just as far with my Lunocet as with my Glide fin; it takes more kicks for me but they are far easier kicks. As my technique improves I think I will be able to do better with the Lunocet than the Glide, easily. Right now I'm thinking the very smooth undulation, perhaps with a bit of downward/upward ankle added in, is the most efficient for me. Part of that is that my glide isn't so good with either fin as my position needs to improve and I need a full suit.

Reactions: finSailor
You guys mean CO2 buildup, right? It's O2 that gets consumed. Anyway, both of you do have a very valid point, since more efficient finning techniques and hydrodynamics can help us to reduce CO2 buildup and oxygen consumption. Hope you don't mind if I humbly chime in with a few observations and some tips that work for me.

Finsailor, keep on trying out those different variations until you find one that works for you. I tend to use a technique very similar to the one described by neurodoc, though I used to be a kick-and-glide guy before. I incorporate ankle flicks into my monofinning motion and I remember that when I tried the Lunocet classic a year ago I was impressed by the fact that it allowed me to do 50 metres using just ankle flicks and nothing more. The problem, however, was that no matter what technique I used with it, I could never get past 60 metres. Nowadays, I don't train with a big monofin as often as I do with a Finis Foil training mono, which is very soft, so you get a lot more out of those ankle flicks.

Neurodoc, I like your description of how the Lunocet Pro works for you. That's what I'm betting on for when I get mine, since I generally have a better disposition towards static apnea than dynamic. I get farther across the pool when I use a "lazy" technique - that is, I relax and move slowly while maintaining a hydrodynamic form - kind of like a moving static, if you'll permit the oxymoron. This, of course, is helped along by a triathlon suit that is weighted at the neck and the sacrum.

Speaking of hydrodynamic form, I can see why the idea of a pec fin, or something to stabilize the hands and upper body, would be appealing to many of those posting here. I've been enjoying the videos too, though I wonder about what problems it might pose for turning at the wall. Personally, I'm more into just cultivating core stability and streamlined position by practising undulation on the surface with a frontal snorkel, working with the line of the water's surface and then applying that sensitivity underwater.

This is not to say that using a fin for the hands or pecs to keep a straight line won't work for some people, so let me offer just a few thoughts on the subject, whether one wants to cultivate the habit of streamlining their body, or use a hand/pec fin a little better. I sometimes train with a Finis Alignment Kickboard (and no I'm not a spokesperson for Finis) when undulating at the surface with a frontal snorkel. It has a bit less buoyancy than a regular kickboard, so it stays just a little below the waterline. The strap on the top of it keeps your hands in place, and you can practise your hand position that way too. This could be helpful for using a hand-held fin, or the pec fin in the video above. It might give the impression of cutting through the water and creating stability for a swimmer, but it does not guarantee a streamlined position. I also squeeze my head lightly between my biceps, just at the backs of my ears, to take some weight off of my shoulders when using a monofin or bi-fins in dynamic apnea, and sometimes I wear two swim caps to make the traction between my biceps easier. This technique could also make the use of a pec or hand fin more stable.

Liked your two hat detail!

I think you have the questions clearly defined..... And the skills to answer them. Wish we could put the devices in your hands tonight and read your impressions after using them tomorrow!.... Looking forward to your '15 getting to you.

It's an interesting tweak to the Luno swimming still seeking.... Where to go from here...

I can say it's different enough that my body feels like I've started a new exercise program instead of tweaking an old one... Abs, back, shoulders more involved.. Partly because it's lured me into going faster again. Hard to stay off the gas when the rig is so responsive.... Burns everything more.

Still...When there's only a few left in the water it feels easier than it used to to stay relaxed taking a longer cruise. Curves and control are easy but 180's as you guessed not so handy at that yet.

Liking the whole rig at this point. Want to keep going with it.

Reactions: Raffy
Makes sense, Doc. More kicks does not necessarily mean more O2 consumption.. Too bad we do not have green cells like veggies, to consume CO2 and produce O2 while diving

But again, how to 'measure' that? Try PB everytime? Quite exhaustive..

@ finsailor, what suite did you order?
till know i dont have any suite, I´m searching for and have no idea what I´ll should take...
yesterday i build my first nek weight with 1.9kg
and i tryed also at the diving shop this suite
upload_2015-2-27_8-52-9.png

but i don t know what i should take, maybethis here looks amazing and is more thick...
upload_2015-2-27_8-53-49.png
could anyone give me a good advice?

Hi, there is several threads here on DB discussing this matter. It would have been easy to buy outdoor (5mm) suit, but I wanted a suit suitable for DYN in a pool (1mm with a glide surface).

There is not a single shop in Finland where I could have found such a suit and try it. So I had to choose from web shop without trying it..and there were only 2 options in EU I found; Orca TRN from wiggle.co.uk and Aquasphere Winter 1mm from Berlin.

I ordered latter a week ago. Just 5 mins ago when I arrived home from work I found a note from a local post office - it's there, waiting for me! Ehh, slightly faster than a fin from a certain shop from US, which shall go anonymous here..

Edit: Here are few threads to read: #14 , #1.

Last edited:
Marco!

Neat that you have a shop to see a selection of wet suits appropriate for free diving..... Even neater that they posted photos of you trying them on!

Thought the thin slick blue one looked great on you!

.... Bit of a vacant stare in your Camo suit photo.

I read about the top one: slick on the outside, comfy on the inside really designed to help you slip through the water. Bet you'd like those features. Info says it's easy to put on which would encourage you to use it more often if you swim frequently. An inconvenient or uncomfortable suit sits at home.

The camo one is much thicker so it would win if you need protection from cold water along with your glide. The hood on it is a feature i notice some of the long swimmers have on their suits.

You'll like your choice if it feels like you can glide much easier than without your suit. A nice tight fit will be an important factor for your extended glides too.

I might add the difference between skin suits and wet suits. I think skin suits came along when some neoprene suits were judged to be toooo much an advantage in some swimming competitions.... Records were falling due to we suit technology. New rules eliminated some ultra efficient neoprene suits. Skin suits are a cloth impregnated with a compression elastic to imitate the effect without breaking rules. Skin suits work well but don't live as long. Their effect diminished greatly after just a few swims in my experience.

Last edited:
Finsailor, keep on trying out those different variations until you find one that works for you. I tend to use a technique very similar to the one described by neurodoc, though I used to be a kick-and-glide guy before. I incorporate ankle flicks into my monofinning motion and I remember that when I tried the Lunocet classic a year ago I was impressed by the fact that it allowed me to do 50 metres using just ankle flicks and nothing more. The problem, however, was that no matter what technique I used with it, I could never get past 60 metres. Nowadays, I don't train with a big monofin as often as I do with a Finis Foil training mono, which is very soft, so you get a lot more out of those ankle flicks.

Thank Raffy, that's exactly my plan. Although I have just enjoyed time to time in the pool without giving to much though to it, sometimes I feel necessity to take a bit more systematic approach, like a repeated set of test dives. Naturally when I (expect to) improve my skilla, another technique may feel better than before.

Like it was with Lunocet stiffness setting.. With 1 pin I felt best doing one large amplitude kick followed by gradually smaller one ending to ankle flicks, but with 2 pins (medium stiffness) almost continuous kicking..or actually undulations .. feel better.

thank you both for the answers my questions in the wrong thread!
yeah ! i do like the cressi glaros and it fit really well in XL
I think I´ll be often times in swimming pools and lakes here somewhere and not so often in the middle sea, so i will choose the thinner one.
Just have to haggle with the shop in town for the same pricce as at the Gangster Amazone...who dont pay tax here ...

Shortly, since this is a bit off-topic. Finally managed to fetch my AquaSphere from postal office and tested it. . Holy crap, it is tight! I used @Apneaddict 's lube recipe, and managed to put it on after great struggle. When it was on, it felt great. Can't wait to test it, hopefully next friday.

Suits tend to loosen up a BIT with wear (stretching).

You will be flying! You will end up at the wall before you know it. Don't break a finger! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT