• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Technisub Ranger Seals & Manual

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lpwacko

Jul 24, 2011
I Have an Old (20 yrs) Technisub-Ranger , Pistol type, speargun. Needs seals for sure.... Can't find the old ones. I know tech support is No More, and I really need a Manual for a 'Parts Breakdown' picture to see if anything else is needed. I broke the piston but have a Lathe so thats no problem.
I ya got any info on this model Or a good source for Parts ( HA! I say to myself! ) Please let me know......... LP

I will preface my remarks by saying that I never owned one of those "Ranger" guns, although I certainly remember looking at them at the local dive shop. They were superseded by the "Conquest Booster" model from Technisub which had a very similar appearance to the early "Sten", but with changes to the safety lever activation (it pivoted) that I assume were a direct carryover from the "Ranger" models. They both used a 40 mm OD tank, same as the Mares rear handle models, so I suspect that the Mares "O" ring seals will fit, or at least some of them will as the trigger transmission pin "O" ring may be different. A stock size should work there if you take the old one and the transmission pin to a seal retailer (engineering supplies) and look for a match. The Mares "Sten" piston should substitute for the Technisub piston provided that the metal piston tail is the right shape to safely hook on the "Ranger" sear lever. Technisub guns used a slightly different spear tail taper, so you would need to use Mares shafts to match the new piston, or change the tail on your spear. Many of these rear handle pneumatic guns used components from the same supplier, they may even have been produced at the same factory, so there are often many similarities in the guns which are from the later production years and in some cases they are the final model produced. Big "brand name" dive companies with a very broad product range contract out their product manufacturing to various suppliers who specialize in different engineering areas, so the same basic design receives a few changes to distinguish it from the offerings of other companies, the changes often being of a cosmetic nature.

Thank You for your responce Popgun Pete, I believe what you say is true about the standardization of 'Parts'.
My problems are in the facts that I do not have the old 'seal'. 'O'-rings should not be a problem, but I am not near a 'real' Dive shop anymore (grew up inSanDiego Ca....now in the middle of nowhere, in the state of South Dakota) The nearest Dive shop is 100 miles away.
I'm guessing ..Maybe? If I get the measurements...I might be able to match it with a Metric Motorcycle Brake cylinder part !!

~OK Got the Measurements ID 10mm x OD 12mm x 10mm hieght/Thickness ( to fit in the groove on the piston )

(as for right now.. The shooting I do is at 'whitetail deer' with my Bow !!)
Thanks, and; 'Good on Ya' Mate. ! ( I spent a little time in 'Freemantle!)
...LP

Last edited:
Lpwacko,
I bought few dozen different orings in Ace Hardware store. Choose the one matched and assembled the gun back. I have 2 right now. They work fine. Soon, I am going for upgrades. They will be available. At the mean time can send you a copy of the manual.
Good luck!

Here are 4 pictures of Technisub Ranger Manual are attached!

Attachments

• Technisub Ranger manual.jpg
    Technisub Ranger manual.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 948
  • Technisub Ranger manual 001.jpg
    Technisub Ranger manual 001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Technisub Ranger manual 002.jpg
    Technisub Ranger manual 002.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 973
  • Technisub Ranger manual 003.jpg
    Technisub Ranger manual 003.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 973
I remember these "Ranger" guns having a rubberized tank, but never knew how large the metal tank tube was underneath the outer covering. I had some reservations about how long that rubber cover would last, so I did not buy one when they first appeared here. Maybe you could measure the actual tank tube diameter while you have the gun disassembled and let us know what the size is. From the exploded diagram it appears that the "Ranger" guns follow the construction method whereby the rear handle housing is a separate moulding that slides over the actual pressure containment vessel, itself being another plastic moulding. The Technisub "Grinta" and "Jeans" guns were of a similar, but simpler construction, being earlier models with slim air tanks of 30 mm OD. The hand grip on these two slim air tank guns was integral with the rear handle moulding, unlike the "Ranger" which has a separate yellow grip that appears to attach with a screw to a skeleton frame projecting downwards from the rear handle housing.

I am trying to figure out how the power regulator works from the exploded parts diagram, it is a different system to the Mares "Sten" type guns, but from reading the operating instructions appears to have the same "easy loading" operation, i.e. you can pump the spear to progressively charge the gun for the next shot. The "Grinta VP" model uses a throttle system to adjust shooting power, so it is not an "easy loading" feature. I note the "Ranger" diagram indicates a "VP" version, so that is something else to figure out.

I remember these "Ranger" guns having a rubberized tank, but never knew how large the metal tank tube was underneath the outer covering. I had some reservations about how long that rubber cover would last, so I did not buy one when they first appeared here. Maybe you could measure the actual tank tube diameter while you have the gun disassembled and let us know what the size is. From the exploded diagram it appears that the "Ranger" guns follow the construction method whereby the rear handle housing is a separate moulding that slides over the actual pressure containment vessel, itself being another plastic moulding. The Technisub "Grinta" and "Jeans" guns were of a similar, but simpler construction, being earlier models with slim air tanks of 30 mm OD. The hand grip on these two slim air tank guns was integral with the rear handle moulding, unlike the "Ranger" which has a separate yellow grip that appears to attach with a screw to a skeleton frame projecting downwards from the rear handle housing.

I am trying to figure out how the power regulator works from the exploded parts diagram, it is a different system to the Mares "Sten" type guns, but from reading the operating instructions appears to have the same "easy loading" operation, i.e. you can pump the spear to progressively charge the gun for the next shot. The "Grinta VP" model uses a throttle system to adjust shooting power, so it is not an "easy loading" feature. I note the "Ranger" diagram indicates a "VP" version, so that is something else to figure out.

I already upgraded both Technisub's I had for mares cyrano and seac sub asso.

I already upgraded both Technisub's I had for mares cyrano and seac sub asso.

I was thinking Ipwacko may be able to check the size on his "Ranger" gun, plus a measurement of the rubber cover's OD which made the gun look fatter in the body than it really was. I prefer the 40 mm OD tank guns because they float after shooting and are more powerful, all other things being equal. The "Grinta", as I suspected, did not float once I repaired it, the gun being acquired secondhand from overseas as I never saw them sold here. The "Ranger" guns were, however I only saw them in the stores as no one I ever met diving had one, they all used Mares "Sten" guns of various lengths or the Cressi "SL" guns.

I was thinking Ipwacko may be able to check the size on his "Ranger" gun, plus a measurement of the rubber cover's OD which made the gun look fatter in the body than it really was. I prefer the 40 mm OD tank guns because they float after shooting and are more powerful, all other things being equal. The "Grinta", as I suspected, did not float once I repaired it, the gun being acquired secondhand from overseas as I never saw them sold here. The "Ranger" guns were, however I only saw them in the stores as no one I ever met diving had one, they all used Mares "Sten" guns of various lengths or the Cressi "SL" guns.
I hope his gun is disassembled. If I will come across one which needs repair, I'll let you know.

No problem, the nose screws off by hand. Just checked it and I got 34mm OD. My 'Ranger' pistol type has a hard molded plastic external cover over the 34mm metal pressure tube.
The actual piston cyl. was 12mm so I was able to get a new piston/seal unit as a replacement from Florida for $15 (I do believe it was a piston assy from a 'mares'?)... anyway it was a comon size (lucky for me the website had a picture of 5 different pistons that they carried and the tech was willing to take a couple minutes so I could point out the 'one' I thought would work ) altho the trigger catch [cone] on the piston was a little smaller. But thanks to the parts breakdown I/we recieved here on this forum I was able to see the 'little-tiny' trigger adjustment screw behind the guns trigger guard.....a couple of turns and It WORKS!
...Thanks for giving me the opportunity to 'give-back' to this forum.
Merry Christmas!...LP

....Well ! I guess that outter cover is some kind of 'rubber' (good strong stuff but I can 'dig' my fingernail into it!)
Sooo. the OD of the 'swoopy-hydrodynamic' molded outter cover is about 42mm.
..............LP

No problem, the nose screws off by hand. Just checked it and I got 34mm OD. My 'Ranger' pistol type has a hard molded plastic external cover over the 34mm metal pressure tube.
The actual piston cyl. was 12mm so I was able to get a new piston/seal unit as a replacement from Florida for $15 (I do believe it was a piston assy from a 'mares'?)... anyway it was a comon size (lucky for me the website had a picture of 5 different pistons that they carried and the tech was willing to take a couple minutes so I could point out the 'one' I thought would work ) altho the trigger catch [cone] on the piston was a little smaller. But thanks to the parts breakdown I/we recieved here on this forum I was able to see the 'little-tiny' trigger adjustment screw behind the guns trigger guard.....a couple of turns and It WORKS!
...Thanks for giving me the opportunity to 'give-back' to this forum.
Merry Christmas!...LP

Thanks for a good description. I am sure it is very helpful.

....Well ! I guess that outter cover is some kind of 'rubber' (good strong stuff but I can 'dig' my fingernail into it!)
Sooo. the OD of the 'swoopy-hydrodynamic' molded outter cover is about 42mm.
..............LP

Thanks for doing those measurements, I never realized how thick the rubber cover on the outer barrel was before. I had thought that the "Ranger" guns had a 40 mm OD tank and the rubber cover was thin. The addition of that cover was a curious design, but gave the guns a less rounded look by adding some angular lines to the overall styling rendering it more pistol-like. The "Competition Line" Sten series also went for an angular appearance by restyling the nose cone and rear handle resulting in a rather fat hand grip which looked more like one for a high capacity pistol (with a double row ammo magazine!). The last of the Technisub guns had bigger outer bodies and hence returned to the grease gun look which is inevitable for a gun with a cylindrical tank.

grazie era una vita che cercavo questo manuale
thank you, for a lifetime i'm looking for this manual

mik

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT