• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Technisub Ranger shorty - removing inner barrel

I've either got or had a Sten which I serviced at least once, but I don't recall what you describe. Maybe a later version.

The Mamba with Seac handle has even a different system. The screw-in outer fitting, that looks externally like the trigger pin plugs of the other Assos, is hollow and has two small o-rings in the hollow. Perhaps at one time one of those was a backing ring instead. Then below that is something aluminum that looks like a pop rivet. The ~1/2" long shaft of that piece penetrates through the handle housing and a small bit of the end protrudes into the hollow bore inside the handle. The mushroom head fits flat against the bottom of the trigger pin well (can't recall now but I think there's an o-ring under the head), and the plug with the two o-rings sits on top of that. The two o-rings are put under slight compression as the plug is screwed in. I assumed the leakage was around the crude 1.5mm pin, but I guess I haven't confirmed that. I just found a 2mm pin that I'm not sure where it belongs, but it's about the right length and when I get a chance I'll see if it will fit through the trigger pin passages.

I've either got or had a Sten which I serviced at least once, but I don't recall what you describe. Maybe a later version.

The Mamba with Seac handle has even a different system. The screw-in outer fitting, that looks externally like the trigger pin plugs of the other Assos, is hollow and has two small o-rings in the hollow. Perhaps at one time one of those was a backing ring instead. Then below that is something aluminum that looks like a pop rivet. The ~1/2" long shaft of that piece penetrates through the handle housing and a small bit of the end protrudes into the hollow bore inside the handle. The mushroom head fits flat against the bottom of the trigger pin well (can't recall now but I think there's an o-ring under the head), and the plug with the two o-rings sits on top of that. The two o-rings are put under slight compression as the plug is screwed in. I assumed the leakage was around the crude 1.5mm pin, but I guess I haven't confirmed that. I just found a 2mm pin that I'm not sure where it belongs, but it's about the right length and when I get a chance I'll see if it will fit through the trigger pin passages.
It is actually one of the very first Sten models, this one, they had a bright shiny silvery tank. The early guns had no trigger sensitivity adjustment screw, which is not really necessary. They also had a metal rod that holds the handle butt plate on and is screwed into the grip handle.
Original Mares Sten R.jpg

There have been a number of versions of the Asso that look virtually identical, and that doesn't include the Asso Up which has recently appeared with either a red or yellow handle depending on whether it is a power regulator equipped gun or single power.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT