• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Technisub Ranger shorty - removing inner barrel

I've either got or had a Sten which I serviced at least once, but I don't recall what you describe. Maybe a later version.

The Mamba with Seac handle has even a different system. The screw-in outer fitting, that looks externally like the trigger pin plugs of the other Assos, is hollow and has two small o-rings in the hollow. Perhaps at one time one of those was a backing ring instead. Then below that is something aluminum that looks like a pop rivet. The ~1/2" long shaft of that piece penetrates through the handle housing and a small bit of the end protrudes into the hollow bore inside the handle. The mushroom head fits flat against the bottom of the trigger pin well (can't recall now but I think there's an o-ring under the head), and the plug with the two o-rings sits on top of that. The two o-rings are put under slight compression as the plug is screwed in. I assumed the leakage was around the crude 1.5mm pin, but I guess I haven't confirmed that. I just found a 2mm pin that I'm not sure where it belongs, but it's about the right length and when I get a chance I'll see if it will fit through the trigger pin passages.

It is actually one of the very first Sten models, this one, they had a bright shiny silvery tank. The early guns had no trigger sensitivity adjustment screw, which is not really necessary. They also had a metal rod that holds the handle butt plate on and is screwed into the grip handle.

There have been a number of versions of the Asso that look virtually identical, and that doesn't include the Asso Up which has recently appeared with either a red or yellow handle depending on whether it is a power regulator equipped gun or single power.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…