• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

That white, icky gooey stuff...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For the next time, toodle on down to the hardware store for a can of white gas- the stuff used in camp stoves and lanterns. Dunk the offending parts in it, scrub, wipe and follow with a good cleaning in soap and water. Done and for a fraction of the $.

icarus pacific said:
For the next time, toodle on down to the hardware store for a can of white gas- the stuff used in camp stoves and lanterns. Dunk the offending parts in it, scrub, wipe and follow with a good cleaning in soap and water. Done and for a fraction of the $.

Dumb question.. but how do you open those? Here in Dubai they only come in pressurised containers :head

sorry :girlie

Not the same stuff Sara, white gas is known over here as [SIZE=-1]Coleman fuel, a bit like white spirit. Camping type stores sell it as a cooker fuel.
[/SIZE]

Pastor said:
Not the same stuff Sara, white gas is known over here as [SIZE=-1]Coleman fuel, a bit like white spirit. Camping type stores sell it as a cooker fuel.
[/SIZE]

ah right gotcha :) Thanks Pastor.

right i am off to bed, boss arrives tomorrow :D

island_sands said:
off down the dive centre now, teaching this morning. when i get back i'll try some of the above
it has made such a mess. you cant even wipe it off with tissue :(

Hi Sara

I hate when that happens !
You probably solved this already, but I just read now.
My understanding is that 100% Silicone is not generally soluble
Thats why its so great for sealing roofs and gear.
At work long ago, I had a very overheated transformer packed in the stuff boil it all over a mess of electronics, didnt hurt anything but the boards never could be properly cleaned.
Practically the only thing that takes it off is physical abration
So you need an abrasive such as braxo or commet cleanser or sand and some hard rubbing usually.
Obviously, those can damage some things !
Alternatively a dry cloth is the low impact answer
but patience and sticky hands are required. Or use gloves and then throw them away !
Cheers

[/SIZE]

Yeah but be REAL careful. White gas makes normal automobile gas look like rain water when it goes up. Had a Scout Master that was tired of the feeble attempts we were making to light a camp fire, doused it good with Coleman fuel and tossed a match in it. :head We spent the next 30 minutes running around putting out the flames and putting the whole campfire back together. It made a perfect mushroom cloud that was about 15 feet tall.... His only words were "Holy SH$%!"

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT