• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The British Freediving Championships in Dynamic and Static Apnea 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Damn!

Well if Apnee was translated that would be great. Maybe someone should ask them?

Sam- from what I saw the only time at Chepstow is doesn't seem as if you were generalising... too much :) I can talk! The only photo in which I featured from that competition was me attacking the bag of penguins! rofl

"horrible sights of big bellies wrapped in neoprene not to mention stinky dry suit liner babygro things straining at every seam........ generally topped off with a shaven head, loads of tattoos, a cigarette and a huge grease burger "

And Sam's only talking about the girls!

Reactions: island_sands
Apnea is a great mag. I really enjoy it and It would be great to buy it here.

Re unfit divers, ever seen a bunch of scubbies during a post dive bun fight? Compare that to us freedivers and we ain't soooooo bad????????

OOOPS EDIT: just re - read, and, it seems, you were talking about scubbies, phew! Someone on this forum once said: scuba is a hobbie, freediving a sport ;) love it!

Last edited:
Re unfit divers, ever seen a bunch of scubbies during a post dive bun fight? Compare that to us freedivers and we ain't soooooo bad????????

Well I suppose that since scubies tend to stay down in the cold water for so long they need an extra layer of insulation :D

We should try a four page insert and give it to one of the popular dive magazines that are sold in Smiths. If their readers like it, they might give freediving a regular spot. The BFA could then increase its membership by the number of scubies referred to the BFA by the insert. The BFA could cover its extra costs to include a subscription to the mag.

Excellent idea.

I know because i had thought of something similar too ;-)

I hadn't thought about using the magazine as a regular publication for BFA members. Maybe the extra revenue and guarenteed readers would prompt the magazine to allow a couple of pages (or even just one) each edition just for freediving.

I think though if Stephan were to make a magazine that could be ideal as the BFA subscription magazine.

Last edited:
I do not want to piddle on your fire work but you do realise that the dive mags charge for this kind of insert. Just to give you an idea a 1/4 page colour advert inside Diver costs £1500 per month. I am not sure what they charge for inserts but I also know that some magazines actually have to pay for shelf space in the larger retailers. The way a magazine makes money is from subscriptions so ultimately they by pass the retailer and sell direct to the end user.
A more cost effective idea may be to produce a hand out for the dive shows that can be distributed from a stand. This would mean the BFA taking stand space and advertising itself and instructors in much the same way that Deeper Blue does. I think that the BFA would then get very little support from DB as it would potentially take income from DB and I don't think Papa Smurf is exactly rolling in cash from the proceeds of DB's commercial enterprises;)

£1500 !! Haydyn that was a rubbish idea... tsk tsk ;-)

What about if Stephan rolled out his mag and the BFA used it as a subscription magazine. Advertising issues i suppose but it would defo help both parties at least initially im sure. Howard used to do reduced rates on subscription for freediver for BFA members i seem to recall??

I just want a magazine again, i'm checking to see which of the old freediver ones i was missing so i can buy back copies now i know who owns them. I think i was missing one or two.

I'll go on record and say that I would love to help support the BFA in getting a small magazine out. A bigger subscription mag is still a little way off (funding wise at least) but a small circulation UK one distributed off any dive show stands friendly to freediving (including the DB booth) would be a grand idea.

As you rightly point out i'm hardly rolling in cash from DB - most months it's quite the opposite - but i'm definitely up for doing something with the BFA.

I just want a magazine again, i'm checking to see which of the old freediver ones i was missing so i can buy back copies now i know who owns them. I think i was missing one or two.
Well - give me a shout Steve - you know my number.

Likewise if anyone wants an old back-issue I can definitely sell them to people.

PS - Monkey Matt - i'd give you some back-issues in exchange for a certain "hard to come by" very "flaminghot" DVD that you have in your possession. You know the one I mean ;)

I hope 'back-issues' means old copies.

Thats the start of your magazine hopefully Stephan, i'm off now to find out what that DVD is all about. I won't tell anyone if either of you PM me... :)

Hey Stephan i'd like to buy any copies of Freediver magazine which carry 'Silent Blue Ltd' adverts (my old company). My Mum threw out all my old copies by mistake and I would like them for sentimental reasons, just tell me how much. Cheers. Juan.

Stephan,
Please be very careful about mentioning DVD's that I may or may not have in my possession, especially in the same sentence as the phrases "flaming hot" and "back issue"rofl
The footage that you are referring to never actually made it on to DVD, there may or may not be a master tape and also a copy held by a trusted individual who knows what to do in the event that any harm should come to the original, assuming such an original exists.
I may be open to bribery at the Dive Show if you want a copy, if an original does exist. Just remember I was as impaired in both my camera technique and judgement at the time and I may or may not have been recording.
Matt

Reactions: laura storm
Hehehehe - golly you should work in politics with that crafty and slick ducking and weaving :D

See you at the show (i'm on booth #1562) and we'll talk more :D

Stephan,
Please be very careful about mentioning DVD's that I may or may not have in my possession, especially in the same sentence as the phrases "flaming hot" and "back issue"rofl
The footage that you are referring to never actually made it on to DVD, there may or may not be a master tape and also a copy held by a trusted individual who knows what to do in the event that any harm should come to the original, assuming such an original exists.
I may be open to bribery at the Dive Show if you want a copy, if an original does exist. Just remember I was as impaired in both my camera technique and judgement at the time and I may or may not have been recording.
Matt

sorry guys but I'm 100% sure the mag idea just wouldn't work. Freediver struggled on for years before fizzling out, then Mike bought it from Howard and tried to make it work - and for sure Stephan didn't fork out for what was left in order just to have it clog up his garage. Loads of people have tried along the way to make it work, I've tried fairly hard just to get an apnea page in one of the dive magazines (as happens in Tauchen) and even that got a frosty response. I think it's a bit of a misunderstanding that scuba divers would also be interested in freediving, and vice versa. I've had much more luck recently getting freedive stories into outdoor activity magazines. Even then you have to find a bit of an "adrenalin" angle!

one reason a mag wouldn't work now is of course sites like this. Are you really telling me you'd pay to read a magazine right now with an article about Martin's CNF attempt - an article written in between the approval/disapproval by AIDA and hence factually incorrect?

Thanks to Deeper Blue, Facebook, the AIDA site and plenty of others - we can find out news just about instantly. Any freedive mag would at most be quarterly due to the cost of producing it - and do you really want news thats a few months old in this day and age?

I admit I'd love a mag too. I keep all my back issues of freediver and regularly refer to them - I just don't think there's enough of a market now to make it viable. Hell, we only got 8 people to enter a comp - how many more do you think we'd need to sell a magazine to?

nice thought, but.... back in the real world.....

You are absolutely right Sam, the articles would have to rely less on 'current news' and more based on beginners guides, how-to articles, equipment reviews etc. I think people would buy it if they or people they knew were in it, we all love that but you need a significant number of 'people' for this to be feasible and you won't attract decent sponsorship without a decent subscription database. Even this magazine;

Welcome to Spearfishing Magazine

nearly went under a couple of years ago as a quarterly because not enough subscribers and how many spearos/freedivers are there in the USA?

Having said all that, Apnea seems to do good business and I reckon it's a question of getting an English version and carrying all the relevant club news, competition news, catches etc. etc. that are relevant for UK readers. Bollox to this i'm going to contact them and see what they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained......

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT