• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 5 - Track Options

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What type of Track would you like?

• Conventional flush track

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Recessed track

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The poll is done, but moving the handle forward 4" would have helped manuverability too. :D

The poll is done, but moving the handle forward 4" would have helped manuverability too. :D

Nah... rear handle all the way baby! Its only a 90! You will be thanking me when that big ol 30lb carp swims 4" out of range of what would have been a forward handle!:thankyou

But I have a 90cm. This would be different. Also, you get the power of a 90cm, but in less vis, it's not scaring the fish before you see it. And the manuvering ease... That debate is done though.

How about another shape idea so Pastor does not get his way....again. He always gets HIS way! I hate it! I'm sick of it! *runs off crying*

But I have a 90cm. This would be different. Also, you get the power of a 90cm, but in less vis, it's not scaring the fish before you see it. And the manuvering ease... That debate is done though.

yes it is, and to the victor go the spoils, atleast i hope.

I dont really see too many more options as far as shape. I think you summed it up nicely.

Although if we can afford it i think a thinner stock would be best. I know we need to keep some bulk for the cut out but maybe that opens up the option of the conventional stock. W/out the cut out for the recessed bands we can afford to take some bulk out of the stocks thickness. Could also be a case of 6 one way half a dozen another.

Last edited:
Well, if it was a 22mm thick oval (not recessed)....Two guns could be made. :D

Last edited:
Guys, the present lamination can be added to, the stock can have further wood glued on if necessary.

I've got a copy of 3D studio Max but haven't used it in years, I could if some one was interested mail it out for them to play with and do all the necessary mucking around trying to figure it all out but I doubt it's something a simple piece of graph paper and a pencil couldn't fix. I voted for recessed track and if you're wondering about band vibration on a small euro gun, I have a 1m Rob Allen Caranx so 20mm band and there is a decent amount of vibration from it so I doubt it would be much different on this gun.

My 90cm can get some strong vibrations if I'm trying to swing it fast. I would hope this design would make it cleaner moving through the water side to side.

Last edited:
Well it’s recessed for me, and for no other reason than I like the look of it and it’s different from what I’ve got at present.:)

Well it’s recessed for me, and for no other reason than I like the look of it and it’s different from what I’ve got at present.:)

and recessed for me too just because it's winning the poll (I want to be with the winning at least once, after my preferences lost on all the other polls! )

I also think it will reduce drag, vibrations, oscillations (I've had too much of "...ations" when I was a teen ager :mad:).

Reactions: Pastor and podge
I added another rough idea. I was trying to figure out how the things might workout. The recessed bands and recessed track made me think what might happen with the hole the band passes through. With the third recessed option I drew out, there is only about 20mm You could probably have a 14mm hole for an 18mm band. Than gives 4mm at most of wood there. I'm not sure how that would be structurally. It may need to be 5mm thicker??

Also I found the final dimensions after it was glued up. 78 at the butt and 60mm at the muzzle with the taper.

I'm just thinking out-loud here to give ideas. What do you guys think? What happened to Pastor? I give him the business and he disappears! :) He is the idea man...he is my...my...my muse! rofl

I'm here, just been waiting for more input. A 16mm hole will handle up to 20mm bands no worries but I personally would worry with just 22mm of gun thickness. With even a 7mm recessed track there will have to be a derlin track which would be say 10mm deep? That only leaves 5mm in the centreline of the gun. Not a problem probably if the centreline was 22mm + 7 or 8mm for the recess (still less than the average euro pipe gun) as the main strength would be in the sides of the gun but still something to consider. Also with a derlin track we need to consider where exactly the hole for the bands will be drilled.

You know this is going to be an awesome gun!

I have tried to draw up what ILDiver has described - from the third profile on the first page of this thread. i can continue and cad the design if that is of any help/benefit to people and can make templates eventually... i think on my model the gun tip width should be narrower so that the bands can run straighter fwd/aft along the gun. is it intended to fit the band/s through a hole in the gun or will a muzzle be used?
let me know if you want me to draw it up anymore?

Last edited:
We ended up with a delrin track? I never did look at that pole. (errr...poll, I'm not allowed to spell)

Jonny, the model is great and much more accurate than I can do with photoshop pretending I'm on CAD :) It needs the taper though. The butt of the gun is 78mm wide and the muzzle is 60mm wide The taper starts 90mm (??) from the butt of the gun. The channels would stop somewhere around the start of the taper. And, can you make it 5mm thicker and put a 15mm or 16mm hole for the bands? Maybe round the nose off?

I know I'm asking a lot Jonny, some of the tasks are easier said than done with cad and 3D, so feel free to tell me to buzz off :)

Last edited:
As I said a few post back - the stock dimensions can be added to, no problem to glue on more teak if necessary.
(excellent drawing Jonny)

As I said a few post back - the stock dimensions can be added to, no problem to glue on more teak if necessary.
(excellent drawing Jonny)

There is plenty of material there at 50mm thick. So in his drawing he could make it thicker. My drawing had it at 30mm height. so another 5mm - 10mm thickness would give enough material for the muzzle.

We ended up with a delrin track? I never did look at that pole.
Sorry, an assumption of mine but if the track is recessed then a 1/4 shank cutter with a 7mm ball and and a 3mm neck would be a long shot extended that far. About $70 and each I can see a few breaking through vibration alone. What does the Gits say Foxy?

I thought we had that poll already. I guess it was a discussion in another thread.

No problem with updating the drawing, however the 35mm depth minus recessed track doesn't leave much depth for the 16mm hole for the band. what minimum depth for the muzzle do you intend?
Also, if you want to amend any of the dimensions given then i can update the cad accordingly.
does this help clarify the design or just confuse?

Last edited:
If you have the hole through the sides of the muzzle then you don't need the recesses track there, the bands would be on the side of the gun for a while. This was why I thought the bent barrel would work as you could keep the thickness without compromise. I wish I had your drawing skills Jonny!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT