• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 5 - Track Options

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What type of Track would you like?

• Conventional flush track

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Recessed track

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I said somewhere else that I thought the best possible cross-section would be that of the bit just in front of the tail of a Great White Shark, designed over millions of years to slide sideways through the water with minimal resistance. Ideally this gun would be narrow at each end too with the bulk of the mass just in front of the handle, I hate to say it but ala C4

The first pic of Fox's is a lot, LOT like what I had in mind for surrounding the bands, then the enclosed track would be raised and the bands along the side of that.

I hate to say it but ala C4
Great, now Spaggs is going to be all giddy, like a school girl in love.:girlie

Attachments

• rough_idea8.jpg
    rough_idea8.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
fox thats not the sleeve i had in mind, im talking about the wooden one, which looks like waves...

That was a hell of a lamination! very pretty :)

This was the sort of thing I had in mind. Sorry about the drawing skills, Johnny could you do anything with that?

Attachments

• 18131661_5d1aa0d766.jpg
    18131661_5d1aa0d766.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 136
  • gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 131
Yep, sure, but i'm avoiding my cad pc until monday... perhaps a consensus of opinion on the shape and then i'll cad it up and see if its what you all want...

Cool :)

What sort of depth are we thinking about for this recessed track then. 7 - 9mm?

ok i'm still working on the drawing for the muzzle - needs a bit of extra wood below the hole for the band. the rest is roughly what Pastor/ILD, etc have suggested i think...
How much wood is needed either side of the trigger?

Last edited:
Personally I would hold the taper all the way back rather than going with the Omer HF style barrel that Pastor likes. Not because I don't like it, but because I have an HF and would rather have something "new".

As far as how much in the mussle, bulb it down to fit the 15mm hole +5mm?? Guessing, someone else prolly knows better than me. I think Pastor mentioned it in one of his posts.

The Model looks great Jonny.

ok i'm still working on the drawing for the muzzle - needs a bit of extra wood below the hole for the band. the rest is roughly what Pastor/ILD, etc have suggested i think...
How much wood is needed either side of the trigger?

I really like the design but as Il Diver said it looks an aweful lot like the OMER HF. I know I havnt given any input on other designs my self but... well... anyway, maybe a wooden version of the HF will be pretty cool:blackeye

If anyone didn't want to see a HF clone it was me but it is only based on practical thought. A single taper is going to be a bulky gun, my idea of the recesses was to make the thing swing a little easier, with that much bulk I think it would be a little like an oar in the water

Is there any good reason why the taper ends before the handle? Surely it'd be better to have it going all the way back?

Just so you can hook the wishbones onto the tabs easily. It's only a single band 90 after all!

It would be possible to thin down the muzzle even more if - "A" a commercial muzzle was used like a hammer head or "B" by drilling only a 3mm hole & attaching dynema to both ends of the bands.

Attachments

• P1030613(1).JPG
    P1030613(1).JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 122
  • P1030615(1).JPG
    P1030615(1).JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 140
Alison had a gun with a 3mm hole and dyneema to hold the bands on, I think there is a pic on deeperblue somewhere. Bit of a fiddle but if you want thin then there would be no better way. buoancy/balance is an issue if you loose too much wood

Yeah it is a bit of a compromise, euro 90 single band, spells fast tracking, close range to me.
However no point crying over spilt milk & reminding you we could of had a falward set handle, twin band super gun!!
Still, I would consider a screw-in band type muzzle as there are alignment benefits & you dont need to drill a hole?

That is an interesting thought. A hole through and basically doing it like a dyneema wishbone through the muzzle. Tie in loops like Kevin at Hammerhead does, line through muzzle and locking knot it...

Has that been done?

EDIT: Ah, did not read Pastor's post throughly, I guess it has been. I like the idea. You could top mount the bands, drill down from top to bottom so your passing the line down and under the muzzle and back up through a hole on the other side. Not sure it applies here with the enclosed track, but I guess it could.

Last edited:
My memory fades, it was actually a means of atatching a second band but same principle

Attachments

• ali's bands.jpg
    ali's bands.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: ILDiver
My memory fades, it was actually a means of atatching a second band but same principle
My ramblings was trying to say the Dyneema could wrap through like the rubber does in Pastor's attached pic.

Also, that band rigging style (in the pic) could work on this gun too.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT