• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 5 - Track Options

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What type of Track would you like?

• Conventional flush track

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Recessed track

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are a couple of lines I don't get in image 1, but overall it looks good. And as I suspected, I don't think the muzzle is tall enough. Can you make the overall height 40mm? And from the edge to the channel 15mm rather than 19mm?

EDIT: The other option is to "bulge" the muzzle thickness *updated image*. It's kinda ugly imo, but had to look at it.

EDIT 2: Now, where the taper is, it's slight but it starts at the rear of the gun.

Attachments

• rough_idea5.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Right, deepen that back end so it can hold a trigger drop the recess att he back so you can get the dyneema onto the shark fin and smooth the lines out and that's my curved gun. In profile at least

Right, deepen that back end so it can hold a trigger drop the recess att he back so you can get the dyneema onto the shark fin and smooth the lines out and that's my curved gun. In profile at least

Like this???

Attachments

• rough_idea6_for_Pastor.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 129
Almost, drop the recess at the back and smoth the lines out and that would be what I'm banging on about

Almost, drop the recess at the back and smoth the lines out and that would be what I'm banging on about
Ok, it's rough, but I'm at work and doing this on the sly...so best I can do. Maybe Jonny can incorp some of this on his fine drawing.

Attachments

• rough_idea7_for_Pastor.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Pastor
Yup, slick eh? just some smoothing out and the profile is what I thought about. Don't do any more and get into trouble dude

Ok, it's rough, but I'm at work and doing this on the sly...so best I can do. Maybe Jonny can incorp some of this on his fine drawing.
Correct me if Im wrong but with a side profile (curve) like that wont the shooting line be hanging out in the middle of space? Seems like it will be real easy to get it caught on the reef or rocks. would a side mount line release help?

You could put a center line...line holder behind the bulge. And the release could be either side or in front of the trigger. Or channeled into the barrel.

You could put a center line...line holder behind the bulge. And the release could be either side or in front of the trigger. Or channeled into the barrel.

So maybe I missed it but what is the minimum thickness and width of this design (at the weakest point)?

So maybe I missed it but what is the minimum thickness and width of this design (at the weakest point)?

Through the barrel, I think 22mm. Under the band's hole in the muzzle it would be thinner, but no stress at that point. And these are all just theory on shape based on other choices. Feel free to suggest something else.

The guns I make are 25mm across the whole length and they are stiff as a board. 22mm localised should be no problem at all as long as there is a bit of width there too

ok here's my attempt at the updated model - i've used the updated dimensions that ILDiver gave, 5mm deeper and the taper from the trigger to the muzzle. I didnt include the 'bulb' under the muzzle as i think the hole for the band can fit without it - just.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marwan
I can't give you another rep point yet, but that is great. Pastor may not me happy though But I like it, I like it a lo...

Only one crit, from me, can the channel be wider? I know it gets thin towards the muzzle, but it *looks* narrow. The band would fit, but as it comes forward it might have issues.

Last edited:
looking great!!!! be careful from the raised sides towards the back(trigger) though, you will need to have some rrom for your hands to install the band in the sharkfin, maybe the raised sides need to end a bit sooner to allow for this...not sure i explained that too well, let me know if i didnt...also, the raised sides will reduce the vibration of the bands, but it may seem that this will be at some expense of maneuverability given the added water resistance of the raised sides right?

Last edited:
...also, the raised sides will reduce the vibration of the bands, but it may seem that this will be at some expense of maneuverability given the added water resistance of the raised sides right?
The thought is that the sides will be just high enough to cover the bands, Maybe not even completely cover them. So it should be a good balance between mass and .... hydrodynamics (???)

i see what you mean chris, maybe make them very low (not to completely cover the bands yet enough to reduce vibration, the sides dont have to be straight wither, maybe curvy/wavy to further eliminate the resistance in side tracking...foxfish made something like this in wood for his mamba..different use i know but im just giving an example for visual reference

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the wavy/curvy part Marwan.

One other question on jonny's drawing. The taper from the muzzle to the channel. It seems to me that from the hole for the bands back a little should be straight. Maybe 6 or so inches. My concern is pulling the bands back, that taper is going to flare the bands out and make it difficult to secure the wishbone and have the bands fall into their channel. Any thoughts on this??

It seems if there was a straighter portion, it would help "pull" against the flaring effect of the taper.

Last edited:
not sure if this will be a problem, chris..i could be wrong though...
as for the curvy part...fox could you post a link of that curvy sleeve you made for your mamba?

Hmm - personally, I am not convinced at all!
Even though Jonnys pic shows the gun to scale I think the full size version might be quite bulky, I dont see the gun being any easier to maneuver although it might be more stable in the water. All that extra wood could be shaved off to make the gun lighter & allow the water to pass around & under the bands.
Enclosed track guns only have a tiny bit of fin showing to hook the wishbone over, all this extra wood will not help loading?

And yes the gun will have a synthetic track.

Attachments

• P1020541(1).JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 142
  • P1020614(1).JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 137
  • P1020540(1).JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…