• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - The Build

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Once we are satisfied with the straightness of the temporary datum we may proceed too accurately square off the top surface where our track will eventually reside. Of course this may easily be done with a bench plane but as we have a surface planer then the easy route was taken. The fence or guide must be checked beforehand, then make sure as the wood is passed over the revolving cutter block that the datum surface is pressed firmly against it. Again after this procedure we must remove the rippled machined surface with a few light passes of the bench plane. We also check for the accuracy of this squared surface. When completed the surface is given an edge mark to denote it as a reference surface. These datum or reference will become the only surfaces that we will be allowed to measure off in the later staged so they are important to get them correct and true.

Again once we are happy with the previous step we can turn our attention to the underside of the gun. This again must be squared off so that it is parallel to the top surface. We can do this either by marking both sides with marking gauges and planing down to the marks with a bench plane, or we we can use the thickness planer to quickly create the surface. This is of course the route we took as can be seen in the photograph below.

Attachments

• tn_DSC02229.JPG
    tn_DSC02229.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 136
  • tn_DSC02230.JPG
    tn_DSC02230.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 158
  • tn_DSC02231.JPG
    tn_DSC02231.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 151
  • tn_DSC02232.JPG
    tn_DSC02232.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 179
Finally for today we will turn our attention to the temporary datum. What we need is a surface that is exactly parallel to the centreline of the gun. To achieve this we will on this occasion glue on a thin (6mm) strip of Mahogany to the temporary datum. Mahogany is a good choice as it is stable and will be very easy to plane true later. I will post an update letter about this tomorrow. Once glued we simply apply the mahogany strip, invert and clamp back onto the bench surface as we did for the main glue up.

I read that some of you would like to see some advice on woodworking. I shall I believe be doing this in a new section shortly. I hope that other woodworkers will be able to join in with their advices as well.

See you next time spearos

Attachments

• tn_DSC02234.JPG
    tn_DSC02234.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 161
  • tn_DSC02233.JPG
    tn_DSC02233.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: ReefTroll
Wow great work...I think he's (or she's) a Japanese craftsman...just getting a vibe from his thorough and patient approach...sure is gonna be some lucky spearo soon!

Reactions: Pastor
I really like the use of the hand planer! I have always been intimidated by them, always opt for the jointer. Good to see a true craftsman/woman.

Hi all havent had time to post much lately and I must say I really would have liked to follow this one from the beginning.
I did however add my input and vote on the handle placing :)
This is gonna be one amazing piece of equipment when done!
My input in the handle thread...

"Id say a slightly forward handle will suit the gun well. With euro guns being mostly made of ali or carbon the gun tip is not that heavy. A timber construction is in essence much heavier and solid than both other materials used to make guns so the slightly forward handle will apart from being aesthetiacally pleasing also allow for better distribution of weight and give you a well balanced gun when in the water...

Another nice idea mite be to have a double handle with a rear trigger handle and another one set forward and from that one to give you a similar effect but this will limit the movement and speed of the gun to the hunters ability to manouver both hands simultaniously"

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Hello spearos

I am sorry about the hold up here. The wood is resting and fully settling before we continue any further with the build. I have been informed that we have on order a 6.5mm shark fin spear and a trigger unit. As soon as these arrive we shall proceed with the next phase to fit these. It would be good to see some more ideas for the shape of the barrel. Having some information about your feelings on this crucial part of the design would be of great assistance to me to progress in fitting the trigger.

Hello spearos

The time is almost here to start work again. The last poll to enable this will end soon and then we may proceed. The timber has had a long time to rest now and will be very stable for the next possibly the most important step of aligning all the vital components.

It looks like the depressed track will be the outcome, very interesting choice. This brings along the complication of fitting the track. I was asked my opinion by Foxfish about this last week. Indeed as someone described elsewhere, it will be likely that the long extension of a minute cutter will attract too much vibration to be 100% simple. So it would be prudent to use a synthetic track made from Derlin. Should anyone else choose to make their own version of this gun then this will be simple to emulate.

There has also been some mention of sizes of the barrel. To help you make some decisions these are the dimensions of the track and trigger. The track is 10.2mm tall and 10.2mm wide at the top. The trigger is 30mm tall and 12mm wide.

I have been supplied with a Bleu shark fin shaft and a Totemsub trigger. both items were supplied by www. diveshop.gr. Along with the Derlin track we are in a position to proceed.

Attachments

• tn_DSC02247.JPG
    tn_DSC02247.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 152
  • tn_DSC02252.JPG
    tn_DSC02252.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 154
  • tn_DSC02249.JPG
    tn_DSC02249.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 143
  • tn_DSC02248.JPG
    tn_DSC02248.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
mr Stig, any chance of a profile photo of the trigger and i'll add the trigger to the cad model if you want.

Hello Jonny250

I am waiting for one of the moderators to help me out with the photographs. I have used up all my attachment space until Mr Stephan can fix this it will be delayed between my letter and seeing the photographs. With some luck they will appear in the next hour or 2.

Hey guys i;ve only posted a few times but umm..ive read every post in this thread and been following it closely...are you ready to put in the trigger mech yet?

Yes the project is still on going - we had to wait for some components to arrive but it will be all systems go very soon. In fact there will be another poll later today!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT