• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Deeperblue.net Gun Building Extravaganza

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Which gun would you like to see built

• Total voters
euro for me, a 90cm guided spear launcher please, single 18 to 20mm screwins level with the spear, oh, and a light short trigger, oh and open muzzle with a simple loop system, oh, and Rockwell sharktooth spear and dyneema wishbones, oh and............... ;)

There's no shortage of euro guns on the market. Making another just because that's the most common type used is like going onto a kit car forum and coming to the conclusion that making a Toyota Corolla is what everyone wants to see just because that's the most common car out there.

I voted hybrid because very few people have made them, but roller would be great too.

Reactions: foxfish
good vote chrismar,
guys lets try and get some input on special features/customizations for the gun, remember, the idea here is that it should be "one of a kind"
off the top of my head:
1- Could be broken down for ease of travel/packing, spear as well
2 - adjustable enclosed track, to fit several spear sizes "perfectly"
3 - Rear Handle, size 100-110
4 - Balanced to accomodate up to 3x16mm bands and 7.5mm spear (of course you could use it with only single 16 and 6.5mm, but will be balanced in case you decide to power up)
5 - Has a type of attachement to mount a camera/housing
6- Line release similar concept to seatec gabbiano

too early to think of more :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Huw and foxfish
I agree with Scott - forum members know 90cm is the magic length:D. Although 80/82 is a cool size too - & 70 of course. Pastor - what about mid-handle???

90cm!!!! Is that all you've got?????rofl

All cracks about the size of one's gun aside, I currently use an old Moray double rubber, 100% alloy (except the spear obviously), gun with a 1.2metres long from handle to muzzle. It's made up from parts of three stuffed guns. Works fine, but is definatly showing it's age, (well it is older than me!!!!)

When I replace it my new gun will be of a similar length as it works brilliantly for the local conditions over here in New Zealand.:)

A 90cm Euro gun has got to be the way forward, as mentioned above it can be used anywhere.
Especially at Dorset!!!!:):)
I can see it now Podge’s Mullet Masher.rofl

TUNA gun.

if you have a tuna gun, you are far more likely to shoot tuna! :duh

and how come pneumatic isn't one of the choices?

with foxfish behind the idea, i can hardly believe he left out the dark side?

There's no shortage of euro guns on the market. Making another just because that's the most common type used is like going onto a kit car forum and coming to the conclusion that making a Toyota Corolla is what everyone wants to see just because that's the most common car out there.

I voted hybrid because very few people have made them, but roller would be great too.

You certainly made some good points. But there's still SO MUCH to innovate about euroguns.
Living in a country with doezens and dozens of gun makers, I notice that every month some new guns come on the market with features never seen before. And detail after detail, European spearguns are becoming so much different than the ones produced just five or six years ago.
The "in" concept is now to concentrate the mass in the rear, while keeping the nose very slim.
But what really amazes me is details, details, every day new innovative details.
Here's just a little, very little example: the adjustable hand rest pad.
Arbatec, fucili artigianli per pesca subacquea

Last edited:
Reactions: Lockedin and podge
The gun will be made by a skilled craftsman but there will be limitations as to what can be achieved. We dont have laser cutters, automated machinery or an unlimited budget - we do have a lots of inventive & experienced members who we hope can help with the design so that the gun can be hand built to our specifications.
So far the Euro design looks favorite but no decisions will be made until the thread has been up for a week or so.
There will be lots to think about - How many bands, what type of wood etc etc.
One thing is for sure, this gun will be special & one hell of a prize:)

Reactions: flyflicker
I wish i had more experience so i can contribute and maybe get a shot at winning it :(

Dude, there will be nothing to stop you winning it, everybody will have as much chance as everybody else :) It hopefully will be a learning experience for everyone :)

Although I voted euro I think that there should be a new category for 'camel' in a sort of designed-by-commitee manner !

A hybrid would be interesting.

I'd like to see a well balanced functional accurate innovative full bore beast of a gun :)
Ed

What sort of wood or woods will this gun be made from? Teak, Mahogany, Zebrano, Padauk..........

id go with mahogany to make it more special, seeing that Teak is th most common wood for spearguns

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT