• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Deeperblue.net Gun Building Extravaganza

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Which gun would you like to see built

• Total voters
How about American Mahogany for one of the woods. I have used this wood befor & not only was it a joy to work with but looked superb polished up.
On that site you can find many other woods perhaps we can find a partner for the American mahogany or an alternative, then it will be a case of finding the actual wood?

i didnt think you could laminate different types of wood together because they warp and de-laminate over time!? O and foxy im thinkin of making a gun, dont no if this is the place to ask but id like to attach my D8 torch to it some how so i can have one hand free to qualise when diving at night. any suggestions?

I just caught wind of this thread over on Spearboard. I've been a lurker here, mainly using DB as a resource for info on fins and such. I've been on SB for a while and I'm big into gun building.

As for this gun project, it's a great idea, with a lot of hard decisions to be made, and maybe a few difficulties too. What is the main goal? To make a tried and true workhorse, or to try and reinvent the speargun? I imagine that most folks would want the workhorse.

I voted for a euro gun. That's a bit funny since I mainly use mid-handles, but I think the universal applicability of the euro style wins out. And that's not to say that a euro can't be a mid-handle - heck, Poseidonsub does it.

I would also vote for teak to be used. Teak just likes water. However, there are a few other woods that would be nice - Iroko, Afromosia, and a new one for me, Jarrah. One interesting thing about Jarrah is that it is a eucalyptus species, and is considered a sustainable resource. It's also hard as a rock and should last a lifetime. I built a couple of guns from it and they turned out great: [ame="http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=59430"]55 Jarrah Slayer - Spearboard Spearfishing Community[/ame]
[ame="http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=58986"]New Gun: "Almaco 85 Custom" - Spearboard Spearfishing Community[/ame]

So how do I get my name in the running for this new shooter? :D

Reactions: Lockedin
I just made a gun using this wood. It's an amazing wood with excellent qualities.
I did'n needed to put any lead on the gun since it turned out, once set-up, neutral buoyant by nature.
it is very resistant and with perfect parallel veins.
Forex Cemex

Ok, ok let's see what we have here :)
I've been away from the forum for a while but this thread got me back :)
So here are my thoughts:
1. Single-band Euro-style gun.
2. Length of approximately 100cm.
3. Reverse trigger mechanism, which allows the overall length of the gun to be i.e. 90cm and the effective length (band hole to last spear notch) to be 100cm or more.
4. I would suggest using Iroko ([ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroko_%28hardwood%29[/ame]) It is relatively cheap, very good looking, easy to work with, harder than mahogany, and is very well suited for use in water (I've built two iroko guns so far and none of them has shown any problems for two years of use). Don't laminate two types of wood. They will wrap differently and will delaminate eventually. The handle can be made of any type of nice looking wood as there is no stress in it and there is no need of so much strength.
5. Squid-shaped body with the widest part right in front of the handle where the reel is usually attached. This is the part of the gun that needs to be most stable because it is the centre of rotation of the gun. The bands should be sitting as close as possible to the shaft (when you turn the gun upside down you shouldn't see any bands showing outside of the gun's body.
6. Not enclosed track. It is overkill for a one-band gun IMHO. Simple "U" shaped track is enough. There could be several deeper points inside the track for decreasing friction.
7. A special place (some sort of a grove) for the monoline on the bottom side of the gun, so the monoline doesn't run freely from the muzzle to the line release.
8. Sharkfin shaft with the last shark fin as close as possible to the but of the shaft.
9. Ergonomic handle with thumb rest.
10. Two places for adding lead for balancing: close to the muzzle and in the handle.
11. Camouflage patterns based on red colour.

There are a lot more details that I can picture in my head but I cannot explain well in written English... But I guess if the craftsman is capable of doing all this we will have a hell of a gun for a prize :)
I hope I win it.

Reactions: foxfish
Thanks for the input guys (nice to have you back posting dobs)
Keep the ideas comming & tell us about the gun you would like to win?

I too have been a "lurker" on this board for a while. This thread perked my interest also. I also voted for a Euro although I use a mid-handle.

My ideas:

100-110cm. Shorter lengths are great for less than favorable conditions (visibility in particular) but for clear water and skidish fish a 90cm is a bit short.

No to the enclosed track.

Double band with option of a single band. More versatilty.

My "must have" option would be an "extended butt", similar to the new Riffe Euro X gun. My biggest issue with Euro guns (remember I use a mid-handle) is the problem with swinging them. A mid-handle can turn on a dime quickly where a Euru style isnt as fast or effiecient.

Woody in Okinawa, Japan

Reactions: Lockedin
Euro, Mahogany with cuban old school faux tar finish and zebrano handle...or 110 enclosed track euro, teak, ipe handle, a working mans gun:martial...great idea fox...kudos with the SeaGods!

Voted Hybrid, never had a Euro (just because I haven't had the $$$/time)

My JBL 30 inch reef gun doesn't always have enough oomph, and my Riffe No Ka Oi sometimes has too much, even when fired with one of three bands (poor Calico Bass - 5/16" shaft nearly went through him endwise!). I've often admired the hybrids, they seem as though a balance might be there. Having seen some of the work on these forums, whatever the vote; it'll be a beautiful piece of work!:)

Reactions: Marwan
I voted Euro, and if it was up to me I'd say it should be a <100> centimeters. The type of gun that whoever will win it, will use it, in every part of the world. I mean, what could an englishman or a Michigan diver do with a Tuna gun besides hanging it on a wall for display? I'm sure you all get what my point means...then of course anyone is free to make his own vote.

I say reef gun because at least here in Northern California the Vis is so bad on a regular basis you can't see the end of a euro gun.

There's no shortage of euro guns on the market. Making another just because that's the most common type used is like going onto a kit car forum and coming to the conclusion that making a Toyota Corolla is what everyone wants to see just because that's the most common car out there.

I voted hybrid because very few people have made them, but roller would be great too.
Good point. I voted eurogun because that would be something I would like to win & use. There are some interesting, beautiful even, examples around. However, you make a good point, and I think this might be an excellent point in time to build something a little more unusual: a mid-handle euro-gun. I don't know much about hybrids, so I won't express an opinion on that. Also, I know that Foxfish has already made a roller-gun; I would like to hear how it is in action but he found religion (the Mamba) around the same time, so we don't hear so much about it.

Re. wood, how about mahogany and figured maple? Perhaps a flame, quilt or tiger stripe figure?;) It might sound better too - like a Gibson Les Paul.:D Was surprised Pastor thought cherry might be too light in colour, saw a cherry kitchen in the US and the deep, rich, red brown was very attractive (or did he mean light as in buoyant?). How about yew - very distinct pattens or figured walnut (pricey). We've got a beech tree in the garden, the limbs a very heavy - like iron, might not float though. Actually, I wouldn't use super fancy wood or the gun might end up hung on a wall unused.

GIT? I bet the G stands for Guernsey. IT....ingenuity & technology?

Last edited:
90cm!!!! Is that all you've got?????rofl

All cracks about the size of one's gun aside, I currently use an old Moray double rubber, 100% alloy (except the spear obviously), gun with a 1.2metres long from handle to muzzle. It's made up from parts of three stuffed guns. Works fine, but is definatly showing it's age, (well it is older than me!!!!)

When I replace it my new gun will be of a similar length as it works brilliantly for the local conditions over here in New Zealand.:)
Flying_spanner, Come spearing in Dorset or Sussex and don't forget to bring your 120cm gun with yourofl. (BTW If you like big guns, check out the Supergun via Sumora.com or Google -- makes your 120 look like a pea-shooter).

I voted hybrid, mainly because I have euro guns.
First time spearos are always asking what is the best gun for me to get, and the answer is always that there is no specific gun, as it depends on the area that you are fishing e reef, blue water …
How about the combined minds on DB can come up with a gun that can cover a large variety of spearing situations? One that you can quickly change shaft and band configuration and also balance when changed to a new configuration. I thought that the most versatile gun might be a mid-handled hybrib. My 2 yen!

Pastor thought cherry might be too light in colour, saw a cherry kitchen in the US and the deep, rich, red brown was very attractive (or did he mean light as in buoyant?). How about yew - very distinct pattens or figured walnut (pricey). We've got a beech tree in the garden, the limbs a very heavy - like iron, might not float though. Actually, I wouldn't use super fancy wood or the gun might end up hung on a wall unused.
Cherry is a very pale pink colour, it's a stain or pigment that makes it dark red. Yew would be OK if you could find a piece with a straight enough grain, it's a orange colour that matures to a deep red over time. Hang a gun on the wall? Never happen with a real spearo :)

GIT? I bet the G stands for Guernsey. IT....ingenuity & technology?

Its actuallt GITS an anagram of the "STIG" but this one is from top spear rofl

Hmmm...personally I would vote for Teak (tried and tested and lasts!), The mid-handle design seems great (Ive never shot one but held one of the guns tommy botha makes and it feels great) You should however make that handle customised to fit my hand......after all.......im gonna win it :) hehe

Its actuallt GITS an anagram of the "STIG" but this one is from top spear rofl

Guernsey’s inventive top spearo.
Guernsey’s innovative trades special.

Guernsey’s intoxicatingly tremendous shellfish.
Oops must be coming up lunchtime.:):)

Some great suggestions already but dont be afraid to speak your mind about your ideal gun - keep the ideas comming.
Very good Podge but I assure you I am not building the gun!
The gun will be built by an experienced craftsman but it wont be built in Guernsey.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT